Author Topic: Standings watch for C's picks in 2015  (Read 66968 times)

Re: Standings watch for C's picks in 2015
« Reply #75 on: February 05, 2015, 11:14:47 AM »

Online mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 911
Thanks for the update!

Hopefully, Detroit will continue its second half run and beat us out.  I have no clue what's going to happen with Denver. 

I've always believed that LA was out of reach but that we could "catch" Orlando.  But they've really fallen off a cliff may also be out of reach soon.  That leaves Sacramento, Utah and Indiana within range (I'm not ruling out Brooklyn falling below us, although they have no incentive to tank.  They're just playing lousy ball).  If either Sac or Utah was in the east, they'd be doing much better.  But they aren't.  Indiana could get George back for a few games, but the team has no reason to rush him and he's going to be rusty.  Utah, though, is the one that really worries me.

Previously, I had thought we would be the 5th or 6th worst team, but it's increasingly looking like 7 now.  Assuming pick #8.

Mike 

« Reply #76 on: February 05, 2015, 12:39:43 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Thanks for the update!

Hopefully, Detroit will continue its second half run and beat us out.  I have no clue what's going to happen with Denver. 

I've always believed that LA was out of reach but that we could "catch" Orlando.  But they've really fallen off a cliff may also be out of reach soon.  That leaves Sacramento, Utah and Indiana within range (I'm not ruling out Brooklyn falling below us, although they have no incentive to tank.  They're just playing lousy ball).  If either Sac or Utah was in the east, they'd be doing much better.  But they aren't.  Indiana could get George back for a few games, but the team has no reason to rush him and he's going to be rusty.  Utah, though, is the one that really worries me.

Previously, I had thought we would be the 5th or 6th worst team, but it's increasingly looking like 7 now.  Assuming pick #8.

Mike 
I share similar sentiments on how things are looking.  thought we were a bottom 5 team to start the season but with more-talented teams drastically underperforming and with our own guys overachieving since the trades, it's looking like we'll be somewhere around 7-9 at this rate.  at least #9 worked out for the Cavs last year

« Reply #77 on: February 06, 2015, 02:04:29 PM »

Online mef730

• Antoine Walker
Thanks for the update!

Mike 
I share similar sentiments on how things are looking.  thought we were a bottom 5 team to start the season but with more-talented teams drastically underperforming and with our own guys overachieving since the trades, it's looking like we'll be somewhere around 7-9 at this rate.  at least #9 worked out for the Cavs last year

I only wish.  Unfortunately, our luck and Cleveland's luck are like Samuel L Jackson and Bruce Willis in Unbreakable, that movie where BW can't be harmed and SLJ, whose bones seem to be made of glass.

Mike

« Reply #78 on: February 06, 2015, 02:13:09 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Thanks for the update!

Mike 

I only wish.  Unfortunately, our luck and Cleveland's luck are like Samuel L Jackson and Bruce Willis in Unbreakable, that movie where BW can't be harmed and SLJ, whose bones seem to be made of glass.

Mike
good movie - I like that one.  not sure if it quite fits. 

Trading Places maybe but in the end both Dan and Eddie come out on top.  not sure C's and Cleveland can both win out. 

« Reply #79 on: February 06, 2015, 02:14:22 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
Thanks for the update!

Mike 

Mike

Denver has completely collapsed and shaw will be fired pretty soon. They will also trade at least one of chandler, affalo, faried and lawson by the deadline.

Sacramento has also completely collapsed and are not even trying to play defense. I think they are not inspired at all by Corbin because they look awful.

1) New York
2) Philly
3) Minnesota
4) Lakers
5) Orlando
6) Sacramento
7) Denver
8) Boston, Utah, Indiana, Brooklyn, Detroit, Charlotte in some order

Hard to see us higher than an 8th pick. 10th most likely if not in playoffs.

« Reply #80 on: February 06, 2015, 02:24:37 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Thanks for the update!

Mike 

Mike

Denver has completely collapsed and shaw will be fired pretty soon. They will also trade at least one of chandler, affalo, faried and lawson by the deadline.

Sacramento has also completely collapsed and are not even trying to play defense. I think they are not inspired at all by Corbin because they look awful.

1) New York
2) Philly
3) Minnesota
4) Lakers
5) Orlando
6) Sacramento
7) Denver

you could very well be right but just based on purely a talent comparison, C's are no better than the 5th-6th worst team.  we should get a better picture of how things will shake out after the trade deadline passes. 

C's roster doesn't have the talent to really pull off more than another 5-6 wins this season.  granted, a lot of other teams are just stinking up the league so it's possible they could win even less games but based on rosters, the other teams with a record currently better than the Lakers should win more games than us. 

« Reply #81 on: February 06, 2015, 02:30:56 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Thanks for the update!

Mike 

Mike

1) New York
2) Philly
3) Minnesota
4) Lakers
5) Orlando
6) Sacramento
7) Denver

you could very well be right but just based on purely a talent comparison, C's are no better than the 5th-6th worst team.  we should get a better picture of how things will shake out after the trade deadline passes. 

C's roster doesn't have the talent to really pull off more than another 5-6 wins this season.  granted, a lot of other teams are just stinking up the league so it's possible they could win even less games but based on rosters, the other teams with a record currently better than the Lakers should win more games than us.

The rest of the season we play the following 14 games
Philly at home
Knicks at home
Charlotte at home
Sacramento on road
Utah at home
Orlando at home
Orlando on road
Philly at home again
Detroit at home
Indiana on road
Knicks on Road
Brooklyn on Road
Indiana at home
Charlotte on Road

Plus we have a few games at the end of the season against Cavs, Bucks, and Raptors that all may be resting players for playoffs and some additional games against teams with losing records I have not included
Going 5-9 in the 14 games I listed, especially considering more are at home would be a bit of a stretch. Also assuming we somehow don't win a game against a single decent team is a bit of a stretch. Also assuming we dont get a garbage win at end of season because of resting players is a stretch.

10-11 wins seems a lot more likely than 5.

« Reply #82 on: February 06, 2015, 02:55:32 PM »

Online mef730

• Antoine Walker
Thanks for the update!

Mike 

Mike

Trading Places maybe but in the end both Dan and Eddie come out on top.  not sure C's and Cleveland can both win out.

Sorry, I messed that one up.  My point is that, when it comes to the lottery, Cleveland always seems to win and we always seem to get hosed.

Mike

« Reply #83 on: February 06, 2015, 03:13:27 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
Thanks for the update!

Mike 

Mike

Sorry, I messed that one up.  My point is that, when it comes to the lottery, Cleveland always seems to win and we always seem to get hosed.

Mike

Oh that's an easy one: It's Kingpin. The Cavs are Bill Murray and we're Woody Harrelson. We lose the lottery(bowling match), but get Ray and KG(the girl and the prophylactic endorsement in Munson's case). Plus, Varejao has crazy hair like Murray did at the end.

I don't know who or what Randy Quaid compares to in my analogy.

« Reply #84 on: February 06, 2015, 03:24:26 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Thanks for the update!

Mike 

Mike

1) New York
2) Philly
3) Minnesota
4) Lakers
5) Orlando
6) Sacramento
7) Denver

Philly at home
Knicks at home
Charlotte at home
Sacramento on road
Utah at home
Orlando at home
Orlando on road
Philly at home again
Detroit at home
Indiana on road
Knicks on Road
Brooklyn on Road
Indiana at home
Charlotte on Road

Plus we have a few games at the end of the season against Cavs, Bucks, and Raptors that all may be resting players for playoffs and some additional games against teams with losing records I have not included
Going 5-9 in the 14 games I listed, especially considering more are at home would be a bit of a stretch. Also assuming we somehow don't win a game against a single decent team is a bit of a stretch. Also assuming we dont get a garbage win at end of season because of resting players is a stretch.

again, you could be right.  while that list of games certainly has the potential to be a sweep for the C's, the other teams could also win.  I'm not talking the "on any given day" line, but that the C's roster isn't so good that they could afford to look at any other team in league as a 'sure win'.  The C's just don't have that much of a talent advantage over anyone except probably the Sixers and they have given the C's all they can handle.

at the beginning of the season I predicted 27 wins for the C's before any trades.  The loss of Rondo and Green would impact my assessment of the win total down about 4-5 games.  figure the C's for about 22-23 wins by the end of the season.  It's not unreasonable to think they could do better but that's more a testament to how many teams are doing poorly this year rather than how good the C's are.

« Reply #85 on: February 06, 2015, 03:25:34 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Thanks for the update!

Mike 

Mike

Mike

Oh that's an easy one: It's Kingpin. The Cavs are Bill Murray and we're Woody Harrelson. We lose the lottery(bowling match), but get Ray and KG(the girl and the prophylactic endorsement in Munson's case). Plus, Varejao has crazy hair like Murray did at the end.

I don't know who or what Randy Quaid compares to in my analogy.
that's a much better comparison than Trading Places.

« Reply #86 on: February 06, 2015, 03:29:04 PM »

Offline JumpingJudkins

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 29

Seriously, you think they'll go 5-29 the rest of the way? That's crazy talk.

« Reply #87 on: February 06, 2015, 03:35:06 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

I mean I obviously agree. I tried to give a schedule based response for why I thought so, but yea 5-29 the rest of the way is pretty out there. That would be a worse winning percentage than any team has had for the year (even worse than the timberwolves .184 winning percentage). I get what you want to happen, but we should probably be a little more realistic for better debate.

« Reply #88 on: February 06, 2015, 03:52:31 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
Thanks for the update!

Mike 

Mike

1) New York
2) Philly
3) Minnesota
4) Lakers
5) Orlando
6) Sacramento
7) Denver

Philly at home
Knicks at home
Charlotte at home
Sacramento on road
Utah at home
Orlando at home
Orlando on road
Philly at home again
Detroit at home
Indiana on road
Knicks on Road
Brooklyn on Road
Indiana at home
Charlotte on Road

I agree.  The 1 asterisk I see on your list is that Charlotte is playing well and they embarrassed us both times we played.

« Reply #89 on: February 06, 2015, 03:55:44 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

I mean I obviously agree. I tried to give a schedule based response for why I thought so, but yea 5-29 the rest of the way is pretty out there. That would be a worse winning percentage than any team has had for the year (even worse than the timberwolves .184 winning percentage). I get what you want to happen, but we should probably be a little more realistic for better debate.
I'm not saying you guys don't have a point.  you do.  5 may be low.  10-11 may be possible.  for thta matter, they might get 14-15 wins. 

perhaps I just look at who's on the roster and remain underwhelmed -- moreso than most people.  I'd rather see them win and have enjoyed the 2-game streak they're on.  I just don't think wins are going to be a frequent occurance.  I'm also making an assumption that any vets with value (Bass, Thornton, Prince, possibly Turner) will be traded by the deadline and the players coming in to take their places will be inferior.