Author Topic: Standings watch for C's picks in 2015  (Read 66992 times)

Re: Standings watch for C's picks in 2015
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2015, 10:11:27 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
I think we're just suggesting you organize the rankings by number of wins rather than a typical GB type of leaderboard.

If you want to take the reigns on updating this bad boy, be our guest!! As the guy who made a "Clippers Record Thus Far" thread recently I am obviously a proponent.

But again, just my two cents, I think it's better organized by number of wins.

Edit: this applies to the lottery picks. Usual standings are just fine for the Clips and Dal picks for example
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 10:18:41 PM by Jiri Welsch »

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2015, 08:36:48 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
going to add some info to see how people like it:

STANDINGS WATCH
Boston Pick
#8 right now (based on winning %)
            Games Behind    Current Wins     Games Left    Last 10
Indiana       even                  14 (+2)              45                  6-4
Boston        even                  12                      49                  3-7
Utah            .5                      13 (+1)              46                  6-4
Charlotte    .5                       14 (+2)              44                  5-5
Detroit        1                        12 (even)          47                   7-3
Orlando      1.5                     13 (+1)              44                  3-7
LA               2.5                     11 (-1)              46                   3-7

I'm going to ignore Philly, NY and Minny unless one of them starts getting close but they're each at just 5 wins right now.
-->I still see Utah, Charlott and Detroit passing the C's in the next 5-10 games.  Orlando probably for good in the next 10.  LA may take 15-20 to get there but I still think they pass the C's.

Clips Pick #21 right now
                Games Behind    Current Wins   Games Left   Last 10
Memphis       1.5 up                 25                    47                4-6
Dallas           1.5 up                 26                    45                7-3
Chicago           1 up                    25                   46                 8-2
Houston          1 up                    25                   46                 6-4
Toronto           .5 up                   24                   47                 5-5
Wash              .5 up                   24                   47                 5-5
Clippers          even                    24                   46                 6-4
SA                3 back                  21                   46                 4-6
PHX              3 back                 22                    44                8-2

there are several teams over 5 games back that could catch them if those teams get injured players back but I'm going to exclude them going forward until they start to gain ground.
-->looking a little less likely the Clips will fall further down than #21 unless OKC puts on a real surge to make the playoffs because they're on the outside looking in right now.  A hot streak could have them leapfrogging several teams quickly
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 08:55:35 AM by slamtheking »

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2015, 09:26:34 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 911
TP for continued updates on a fun topic.

I'd love to believe that there's a chance that Dallas or LA falls enough to end up in the lottery.  I just don't think it happens.  True, there's always a chance that one of them runs into injury or some other major problem, but we need three teams to pass the Clippers and four to pass Dallas.  Maybe OKC does it.  Maybe San Antonio does it.  But Phoenix won't be the team and Anthony Davis isn't ready to push NO over the hump.  But hey, if I'm going to dream, I'll dream big: Clippers fall into the lottery and we get that 0.1% ping pong ball that gives us the top 2 picks.  Maybe get the #4 for Dallas's pick?

My view is that we end up with exactly the same pick that we did this year, the 6th.  Here's how I get there:

There's almost no chance to "catch" Philly, NYC or Minnesota.  That leaves Detroit, Orlando, LAL and Utah hovering around the pit of despair with us.  Detroit appears to be on an upswing, Utah would be way above where they are if they were in the east and the Celts have a tough schedule, but I don't think we'll underperform them all.  I see us finishing as the 5th worst team in the league.

Statistically, that means the most likely pick for us is the #6.  I see WCS or Justise Winslow in our future.

Mike

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2015, 11:03:29 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
I'm predicting the Clips get squeezed out of the playoffs or it comes down to the end. They have an absolutely brutal schedule from Jan 30 to March 15 and they haven't done well against winning teams this year. At some point OKC is going to get back in the mix, and someone is going to get squeezed out. I say the Clips end up 8-10 games over 500 and miss out.

The main reason: their bench. Besides Crawford, it's pretty bad. The few games I've seen, their bench has killed them in all of them. Hopefully they don't pull off any trades and we get that lotto pick.  8)

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2015, 11:37:14 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
I'm predicting the Clips get squeezed out of the playoffs or it comes down to the end. They have an absolutely brutal schedule from Jan 30 to March 15 and they haven't done well against winning teams this year. At some point OKC is going to get back in the mix, and someone is going to get squeezed out. I say the Clips end up 8-10 games over 500 and miss out.

The main reason: their bench. Besides Crawford, it's pretty bad. The few games I've seen, their bench has killed them in all of them. Hopefully they don't pull off any trades and we get that lotto pick.  8)

I hope so, but I think the chances are just as good LAC makes it in.

OKC has been hovering around .500 for longer than you'd expect. They need to get it together sooner than later if we want this dream to play out.

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2015, 11:39:42 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
It is conceivable that PHX and OKC could go on a run, along with SAS being SAS, and they could knock either DAL or LAC out of the playoffs.

The reality is an injury could knock either team into the lottery in the competitive west.

Key numbers:

DAL - 7 games ahead of 9th seed, 7.5 games ahead of OKC
LAC - 6 games ahead of 9th seed, 6.5 games ahead of OKC

Granted, their lottery picks would be almost certainly #14, but that is a lot better than what we get if they make the playoffs due to the weak east.

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2015, 11:56:01 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
All year I've been saying to not sleep on that Clippers pick, and to not see it as a throw-in in trades.  The West is stacked, and one very good team will miss the playoffs.  It likely won't be the Clippers, just because of current position, but it could be.  It'll be a better pick than #28 tho (where they picked last year. 

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2015, 12:04:02 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420

STANDINGS WATCH
Boston Pick
Indiana       even                  14 (+2)              45                  6-4
Boston        even                  12                      49                  3-7
Utah            .5                      13 (+1)              46                  6-4
Charlotte    .5                       14 (+2)              44                  5-5
Detroit        1                        12 (even)          47                   7-3
Orlando      1.5                     13 (+1)              44                  3-7
LA               2.5                     11 (-1)              46                   3-7

I'm going to ignore Philly, NY and Minny unless one of them starts getting close but they're each at just 5 wins right now.
-->I still see Utah, Charlott and Detroit passing the C's in the next 5-10 games.  Orlando probably for good in the next 10.  LA may take 15-20 to get there but I still think they pass the C's.

Clips Pick #21 right now
Memphis       1.5 up                 25                    47                4-6
Dallas           1.5 up                 26                    45                7-3
Chicago           1 up                    25                   46                 8-2
Houston          1 up                    25                   46                 6-4
Toronto           .5 up                   24                   47                 5-5
Wash              .5 up                   24                   47                 5-5
Clippers          even                    24                   46                 6-4
SA                3 back                  21                   46                 4-6
PHX              3 back                 22                    44                8-2

there are several teams over 5 games back that could catch them if those teams get injured players back but I'm going to exclude them going forward until they start to gain ground.
-->looking a little less likely the Clips will fall further down than #21 unless OKC puts on a real surge to make the playoffs because they're on the outside looking in right now.  A hot streak could have them leapfrogging several teams quickly

My guess is the Cs will be looking at pick 4-6, at that point im really hoping for WCS. There will be sexier picks available (Prozingis, Herzongia) but after Okafor, Towns and Mudiay I think WCS is the guy. Should be able to anchor a teams D for years.

The clipps pick is projected as a tough spot to draft (via draft express). The Cs aren't in a position to do anything but BPA but the best at that point look to be PFs. If WCS is off the board I think DA will have to look big with clipps pick and possibly have to trade up for D Johnson or J Poeltl. I could also see Jerian Grant being picked up here as a versatile guard.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2015, 01:50:11 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
IMO players high on Danny's list

C-  Okafor, Towns (both obvious reasons).   Kaminsky is third.   No way i can see the Celts drafting WCS.  mediocre iq and has a long way to go in adding pounds.

PF - Kristaps Porzingis, Wood, Ashley, Harrell

SF - Johnson, Hollis-Jefferson, Chris Walker (borderline 1st/2nd round)

SG -  Winslow, Aaron Harrison (2nd round)

PG - Mudiya, Paige, Rozier, Andrew Harrison (boderline 1st/2nd round)

Danny will try to trade all the 2015 picks (and maybe even another future 1st) we have for either Okafor or Towns.  Maybe a lucky team that moves up and does not need a center will bite. 

If not , my early prediction

8-12 pick (celts pick) = Kaminsky  C/PF
20-24 pick (clippers pick) = Brandon Ashley PF/SF

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2015, 04:22:13 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
It is conceivable that PHX and OKC could go on a run, along with SAS being SAS, and they could knock either DAL or LAC out of the playoffs.

The reality is an injury could knock either team into the lottery in the competitive west.

Key numbers:

DAL - 7 games ahead of 9th seed, 7.5 games ahead of OKC
LAC - 6 games ahead of 9th seed, 6.5 games ahead of OKC

Granted, their lottery picks would be almost certainly #14, but that is a lot better than what we get if they make the playoffs due to the weak east.
All year I've been saying to not sleep on that Clippers pick, and to not see it as a throw-in in trades.  The West is stacked, and one very good team will miss the playoffs.  It likely won't be the Clippers, just because of current position, but it could be.  It'll be a better pick than #28 tho (where they picked last year.

A pretty awesome "game within a game" going on right here.

Danny playing chess while everyone else is playing checkers.

« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2015, 05:59:16 AM »

Offline jonaslopes

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31

C-  Okafor, Towns (both obvious reasons).   Kaminsky is third.   No way i can see the Celts drafting WCS.  mediocre iq and has a long way to go in adding pounds.

Danny will try to trade all the 2015 picks (and maybe even another future 1st) we have for either Okafor or Towns.  Maybe a lucky team that moves up and does not need a center will bite. 

Very nice job. Agree about Kaminsky: he is a typical Brad Stevens player. Same with Porzingis and Stanley Johnson. I'd include Sam Dekker, RJ Hunter and Tyus Jones.

And Danny's big dream is Okafor.
It's nice seeing him get exposed as overrated after having argued with fellow fans for years that he was overrated.. but I don't hate him. I'm looking forward to seeing him [...] bounce around to a couple more teams... eventually come back to Boston[...] and helps us as a role player until he runs himself out of the league.
LarBrd33 on Rondo

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2015, 08:47:39 AM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
The Celtics are now sitting at 7th worst record.  Mere percentage points behind Utah.

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2015, 09:39:59 AM »

Offline Global Celtic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 84

STANDINGS WATCH
Boston Pick

Clips Pick #21 right now

TP e thanks for this, slamtheking. Please keep updating it untill the end of season. And don't forget that if Washington is one of the 10 best teams overall, we'll get another second round pick! Danny Ainge, I love you...

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2015, 09:48:31 AM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48

Thanks for the breakdown - First I don't see Kaminsky going that high and the C's will definitely be picking higher than 8-12.  They will be a bottom 4 team by the time April rolls around.  In about a month they will probably lose Bass, Nelson possibly Turner...

I see them grabbing a top 5 pick again this year...If they can't land one of the C prospects I think they will grab a wing player...( Winslow, Oubre or Johnson )

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2015, 10:01:20 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Thanks for the breakdown - First I don't see Kaminsky going that high and the C's will definitely be picking higher than 8-12.  They will be a bottom 4 team by the time April rolls around.  In about a month they will probably lose Bass, Nelson possibly Turner...

I see them grabbing a top 5 pick again this year...If they can't land one of the C prospects I think they will grab a wing player...( Winslow, Oubre or Johnson )

I been following Kaminsky. He is Wisconsins mvp.   Clutch scorer that demands a double team late in games. When was the last time you seen a center shoot threes or handle the ball like Kaminsky?   KO is good, Kaminsky is confident. Has a longer wingspan, quicker off the ground and is a better shot blocker.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNq1_Jb-plw