Author Topic: Standings watch for C's picks in 2015  (Read 67028 times)

Standings watch for C's picks in 2015
« on: January 07, 2015, 03:40:26 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I was posting these updates in a different thread and figured they could use their own thread.  I'll be updating it periodically"

Jan 5th
STANDINGS WATCH

C's still at 9th worst (Indy passed us but Orlando dropped by us)
Utah - .5 back
Orlando - 1 back
LA - 1.5 back
Charlotte - 2 back
Detroit - 2 back
Minny - 6.5 back
Philly - 7.5 back
NY - 8.5 back
=> 5 teams that are within 2 games of us and fully capable of passing us in the standings.  Minny, Philly and NY dropped back a game.  Minny may not catch us unless we trade some vets and Minny gets Rubio and Pek back.

Clips at 22nd pick. 6th slot for playoffs (passed Washington in the overall standings)
Washington - .5 game back
SA - 2.5 games back (7th slot)
Phx - 4 games back (8th slot)
OKC - 6 games back (10th spot)

Re: Standings watch for C's picks in 2015
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 03:46:58 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
JAN 7TH
STANDINGS WATCH

C'S AT 8TH worst -- Orlando passed us
Utah - .5 back
Charlotte - 1 back
Detroit - 1 back
LA - 1.5 back
Minny - 6.5 back
Philly - 6.5 back
NY - 8.5 back
=> 4 teams that are within 1.5 games of us

Clips at 21st pick. 6th slot for playoffs (passed by Washington in the overall standings)
SA - 2.5 games back (7th slot)
Phx - 3 games back (8th slot)
OKC - 6 games back (10th spot)
Cleveland 4 games back for overall record.  Lebron and Kyrie back and playing in the East will help them climb
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 09:08:08 PM by slamtheking »

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 03:57:42 PM »

Offline CelticsBR

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
Ain't it crazy that the Clippers may be 1 injury away from being a lottery team?

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 04:06:02 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
thanks for the updates slam. tp.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 06:08:45 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Ain't it crazy that the Clippers may be 1 injury away from being a lottery team?

Matt Barnes is averaging over 27 minutes a game for them.

They thought all they needed was a coach but the simple fact is that to get out of the West, you either need a LOT of talent or you need somebody playing at MVP level.  The Clips have neither.

Mike

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2015, 06:09:56 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
I don't think a traditional view of standings work when looking at tanking teams. A traditional view assumes a 50% chance of winning unplayed games.  We all know that's not reality. Since wins are few and far between for the post-Rondo C's, I just focus on number of wins. And there are only 3 teams with fewer wins than the C's so my standings outlook is more rosy than yours.  :)

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2015, 06:21:04 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
I don't think a traditional view of standings work when looking at tanking teams. A traditional view assumes a 50% chance of winning unplayed games.  We all know that's not reality. Since wins are few and far between for the post-Rondo C's, I just focus on number of wins. And there are only 3 teams with fewer wins than the C's so my standings outlook is more rosy than yours.  :)
This is exactly the correct way to look at horrible teams. Wins are so rare that you just need to look at that number alone. Unless Rubio and Pekovic's return give Minnesota a huge bump, I think that we are headed for the 4th worst record. Philly and NY are fully invested in the tanking process.

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2015, 06:29:13 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
This is exactly the correct way to look at horrible teams. Wins are so rare that you just need to look at that number alone. Unless Rubio and Pekovic's return give Minnesota a huge bump, I think that we are headed for the 4th worst record. Philly and NY are fully invested in the tanking process.
Just like last year, and we ended up with the sixth pick. I am also interested in the picks we acquired since there is no way to predict where the Celts will draft with their own pick.

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2015, 06:38:59 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
honeymoon in dallas is just about over.  Should still keep an eye on them.  They are 8 games out of the lottery, but there's enough time left in this season that crazy things could happen.  If Oklahoma or Nawlins go on a run and Dallas has unforeseen struggles, we could be looking at a lotto pick this year from them.

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2015, 07:11:41 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
honeymoon in dallas is just about over.  Should still keep an eye on them.  They are 8 games out of the lottery, but there's enough time left in this season that crazy things could happen.  If Oklahoma or Nawlins go on a run and Dallas has unforeseen struggles, we could be looking at a lotto pick this year from them.
Ive been doing as much black magic as possible to have this outcome become reality. It would be a lot easier if I could get a lock of Dirks/Blakes hair....

Joking aside 3 lottery picks would be great. Really would help this franchise.

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2015, 08:51:26 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
thanks for the updates slam. tp.
thanks.  TP back at ya.

figured the team is going for the lottery blatantly now.  figured I'd give everyone a quick, periodic reference on how we stand

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2015, 08:54:17 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
not to get into a debate about how you assume I look at this but feel free to read my other posts in other threads.  you'll find I've repeatedly felt this was a bottom 5 team from the start of the season.  now that Rondo has been traded, I can't foresee a finish higher than 4th worst team.  the standings are showing that several teams that started out worse than the C's are climbing up behind them and should overtake them within 10 games by my estimation

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2015, 09:58:59 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
not to get into a debate about how you assume I look at this but feel free to read my other posts in other threads.  you'll find I've repeatedly felt this was a bottom 5 team from the start of the season.  now that Rondo has been traded, I can't foresee a finish higher than 4th worst team.  the standings are showing that several teams that started out worse than the C's are climbing up behind them and should overtake them within 10 games by my estimation

It's all good. We're all just rooting for losses.  ;)

I know, I know ... Some of you never root for tanking.

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2015, 09:59:29 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
TP dude, really like this thread. It's possible Detroit passes us but boy oh boy would I like to see the Clips fall apart.  ;)

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2015, 10:04:10 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

It's all good. We're all just rooting for losses.  ;)

I know, I know ... Some of you never root for tanking.
I'm one of those that would prefer to see wins over losses but I also realize that those will be few and far between the rest of the year.   next time I repost the standings I'll include wins and games remaining -- seem like good suggestions from everyone