Author Topic: Thunder have a crowded backcourt: C's Take Advantage  (Read 4370 times)

Thunder have a crowded backcourt: C's Take Advantage
« on: January 07, 2015, 12:36:17 AM »

Offline redbirdsfan7

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=kcvm6bw

In addition, OKC ships off 2017 2nd Rounder to Celtics

Re: Thunder have a crowded backcourt: C's Take Advantage
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 12:41:50 AM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Bass nets PJ3, Reggie Jackson, Jeremy Lamb, and a 2nd rounder?
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 12:51:36 AM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
I would love Reggie and they won't be able to sign him in the offseason.  If we could make a deal for him, he could be a real piece in a few years

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 12:56:35 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Reggie's going to come at a high cost. We just saw Bledsoe and Parsons get max contracts. It's like the new fad. Reg gon' get paid.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 01:24:32 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Why is OKC trading Jackson?  They're in win now mode, and they need him.  Maybe over the summer he can be had in a sign-and-trade, but he's certainly unavailable.  Bad reporting last night made it seem like he briefly was, but no way.

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2015, 01:44:18 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Why is OKC trading Jackson?

Because their GM is mentally feeble.

Oh, wait, he's not.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2015, 05:10:34 AM »

Offline kiwiceltic

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 16
The only guard I see OKC giving up is Jeremy Lamb, who isn't really gonna be needed now they have Waiters.

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2015, 05:14:58 AM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=kcvm6bw

In addition, OKC ships off 2017 2nd Rounder to Celtics
I believe that the Nets would require more than expiring contracts and no second round pick to us from OKC. We would need to send at least one of our less valuable first round picks to the Nets. The proposed trade is too lopsided in our favor.

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2015, 07:09:02 AM »

Offline Depalma2002

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
Why is OKC trading Jackson?  They're in win now mode, and they need him.  Maybe over the summer he can be had in a sign-and-trade, but he's certainly unavailable.  Bad reporting last night made it seem like he briefly was, but no way.

Actually, I look at it slightly different. Those early reports had the rest of the deal down except for the OKC outgoing part, so the information had to be pretty good especially when this deal came out of nowhere with no previous buzz whatsoever. This leads me to believe that at one point, the possibility of Jackson moving on was probably close and now with Waiters adding to their SG options, the minutes Jackson has been getting at the 2 are sure to decrease.

That said, being willing to move him and moving him are two different things and giving him away is something else entirely. The fact that they pulled him off the table and sent out a first round pick instead means that a 1st round pick is the starting point for whatever package they expect to get back and they will need a reliable backup point guard to take his minutes in the package as well.

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2015, 08:36:08 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Actually, I look at it slightly different. Those early reports had the rest of the deal down except for the OKC outgoing part, so the information had to be pretty good especially when this deal came out of nowhere with no previous buzz whatsoever. This leads me to believe that at one point, the possibility of Jackson moving on was probably close and now with Waiters adding to their SG options, the minutes Jackson has been getting at the 2 are sure to decrease.

That said, being willing to move him and moving him are two different things and giving him away is something else entirely. The fact that they pulled him off the table and sent out a first round pick instead means that a 1st round pick is the starting point for whatever package they expect to get back and they will need a reliable backup point guard to take his minutes in the package as well.

The early report meant that Cleveland, who needs depth in the post, would have been trading 1 rotation guard and two replacement-level centers for 3 rotation guards, and was completely nonsensical.  The strained logic is that OKC would trade Jackson due to a minutes crunch, but Cleveland, who was already acquiring two players with whom he'd have to compete for minutes, would have no such reservations.

I think someone who heard about the deal without knowing all the pieces jumped to the first half of the conclusion (that OKC would trade Jackson because of minutes crunch) without thinking through where he'd go, and reported it as fact.

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2015, 08:36:24 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816

Sweet baby jesus
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2015, 09:05:51 AM »

Offline GzUP617

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 12

More guards ?,   especially ones that will become an RFA.

NO THANKS.

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2015, 09:16:02 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

Sweet baby jesus

forget that trade

if we throw in Zeller and Sully and a 1st rounder can we get Westbrook  ;D

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2015, 09:18:52 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Ken Barber wrote yesterday about how OKC has been hanging up the phone when other teams ask for Jackson. So...
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2015, 09:55:30 AM »

Offline Depalma2002

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17

The early report meant that Cleveland, who needs depth in the post, would have been trading 1 rotation guard and two replacement-level centers for 3 rotation guards, and was completely nonsensical.  The strained logic is that OKC would trade Jackson due to a minutes crunch, but Cleveland, who was already acquiring two players with whom he'd have to compete for minutes, would have no such reservations.

I think someone who heard about the deal without knowing all the pieces jumped to the first half of the conclusion (that OKC would trade Jackson because of minutes crunch) without thinking through where he'd go, and reported it as fact.

Maybe I didn't see the earliest report then. It sounds like you saw a report that had everyone going to Cleveland. The one I heard originally had Jackson going to the Knicks.

Which, on its face, would seem to make sense because the Knicks would look like they were getting something in the deal in return, when it fact, all they cared about was clearing out JR Smiths contract and saving millions on the luxury tax.

The way I saw it reported was:

OKC sends: Jackson
OKC receives: Waiters

Cle sends: Waiters
Cle receives: Shumpert and Smith

NYK sends: Shumpert and Smith
NYK receives: Jackson

Now, my reaction to that report was surprise that they would give up Jackson for Waiters because Jackson is a bigger help this year but I didn't find it unbelievable considering that he is expected to not be retained. The deal seemed to make sense everywhere else. In the end, Cleveland actually made out better and the Knicks desperate to dump salary had that used against them and did worse than the initial report.

Now, if you saw an even earlier report that had Jackson going to Cleveland then I missed that one.