Author Topic: Trade IDEA with Detroit: Green out  (Read 2068 times)

Trade IDEA with Detroit: Green out
« on: January 06, 2015, 02:42:25 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
The J Smith experiment is over and the Pistons have responded by winning 5 in a a row. Addition by subtraction.

Given that and given that I'm sure Detroit would like to keep Monroe and seems to want to be competitive this year, maybe this trade works for both sides:

To Boston: KCP, Jennings, Butler

To Detroit: Green, Bass or Thornton (their choice), Pressey and/or Nelson (their choice).

Draft picks from either side as needed.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=olej5lu

Why for Detroit:

Getting Green, who will be the centerpiece here, solves a multitude of problems for them. They get the 3 that Josh Smith was supposed to be. It is a further enticement for Monroe to stay as he and Green are Hoya  buddies. They will then have a well rounded, pretty impressive staring frontcourt of Drummond/Monroe/Green.

If Detroit wants Thornton, they get a 2 who can score to replace KCP. If they choose Bass, they get a  versatile veteran who can backup Monroe well and would mesh well with Drummond. Also, Bass played for Van Gundy in Orlando.

Wanting Pressey and/or Nelson (who would have to be traded at the deadline or in a "separate" deal) and giving up a productive Jennings (he had 35 on Sunday night) for him/them may not be thrilling for VanGundy, but there were rumors before about the Pistons not being enamored with Jennings and wanting to get rid of him. Also, VanGundy is more than familiar with Jameer Nelson's leadership from their Magic days together.

Post trade Piston lineup:

Augustin/Nelson and/or Pressey.
Meeks/Thornton
Green/Singler/Datome
Monroe/Jerebko/Tolliver
Drummond/Anthony

Why for Boston:

We get something substantial for Green and either Bass or Thornton. While we will own Jennings and Butler for this year and next, they come off the books in '16 along with Wallace. Less flexibility this summer, but far more next summer.

KCP, especially and Jennings to a lesser extent are the other reasons to do this, Butler is included for both roster and $$$ balance.

KCP will be 22 in February, will be a starting 2 in this league and is locked up at short $$$ for the next 2 1/2 years.

Jennings is not well liked on this board, I understand that, but the guy is still young, not on killer contract and is averaging 14 pts, 6 assists and 3 rebounds in only 28 minutes on a pretty dysfunctional (until recently) Detroit team.

Both KCP and Jennings will fit in well in CBS's system, as will the aged Butler, for that matter.

Jennings/Smart
Bradley/KCP
Butler/Crowder/Wallace
Sully/KO
Zeller/Wright

Would you do this if you were us/them?

If you were them, who would you want of Thornton/Bass and of Nelson/Pressey given their needs as well as SVG's familiarity with Bass and Nelsom fro Orlando?

How could picks balance this trade from either side?

« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 10:31:50 AM by csfansince60s »

Re: Trade IDEA with Detroit
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2015, 03:21:36 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Granted Green's the best player in the deal but Detroit says no quickly.  they're finally getting some chemistry on that team.  no way they trade their starting backcourt for Thornton and Pressey/Nelson.

also, I don't want Jennings.   more of a chucker than PG.  no point to acquiring him when we're evidently going into the Smart era (probably by next year regardless of what Turner does the rest of the year).

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 03:41:54 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Granted Green's the best player in the deal but Detroit says no quickly.  they're finally getting some chemistry on that team.  no way they trade their starting backcourt for Thornton and Pressey/Nelson.

also, I don't want Jennings.   more of a chucker than PG.  no point to acquiring him when we're evidently going into the Smart era (probably by next year regardless of what Turner does the rest of the year).

I agree that detriot isn't likely to shake things up
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 05:27:12 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Detroit would absolutely acquire Green, there is just no way they do that trade.  Something Jerekbo and Caldwell-Pope would be what they would do, maybe some 2nd rounders.  They aren't going to give up more for a player that is good but not great and can leave at the end of the year.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 09:34:48 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas

TP...all good points, and thanks for replying.

If they wouldn't want Thornton with Pressey/ Nelson, I wonder if they would take Bradley?

Regarding Jennings, I get the chucker thing as a common rap against him, but I think that Jennings and Smart would not be a bad combo together, with both players being able to bring the ball up and Jennings being able to play off the ball more as he is a better shooter.

I also think Green could be enough  of an incentive, with Detroit wanting to keep Monroe, that they might bite.

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 09:38:26 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
Detroit would absolutely acquire Green, there is just no way they do that trade.  Something Jerekbo and Caldwell-Pope would be what they would do, maybe some 2nd rounders.  They aren't going to give up more for a player that is good but not great and can leave at the end of the year.

TP,...I would do Jerebko and KCP for Green.

Wouldn't they want Thornton or Bradley  though to replace KCP or even Bass to backup Monroe ? I thought vanGundy didn't like Jennings and Smith and him were said to be the problems earlier?

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2015, 11:04:15 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Is KCP still considered a plus prospect? He is averaging under 40% from the field (as he did last year) and in 32 mpg he doesn't even average 1 apg. I suppose he still has some potential, but if we are taking on salary for next year, we really need to get back a pick. I imagine Green / Thornton / Bass would be an ENORMOUS upgrade on Jennings / KCP.

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2015, 11:48:19 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
Is KCP still considered a plus prospect? He is averaging under 40% from the field (as he did last year) and in 32 mpg he doesn't even average 1 apg. I suppose he still has some potential, but if we are taking on salary for next year, we really need to get back a pick. I imagine Green / Thornton / Bass would be an ENORMOUS upgrade on Jennings / KCP.

TP...I think so too.

Drummond/Monroe/Green is a pretty strong front court going forward.
Add Thornton to replace KCP or Bass as a real solid backup, and that gives Detroit a relatively young, strong nucleus for a good 4-5 years.