Author Topic: The all purpose "feel bad" / parade is over / pessimism thread  (Read 3329 times)

The all purpose "feel bad" / parade is over / pessimism thread
« on: January 05, 2015, 06:41:10 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 977
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
MODS:I thought a similar thread was started a few months ago. If so, please merge.

I really see no good way out of the mess the Celtics are in right now. All the great players have been traded, the rookies are just OK and the ret of the roster is rotation players, at best.

The lottery is now rigged against blatant tanking.

None of the 1st round picks are very high (except their own). 

Free agents don't have a reason to come here.  Cap space?  Who cares, doesn't matter.

The coach is inexperienced and still learning the league.

The team needs a big man/rim protector/defender badly yet teams aren't giving these guys up, even mediocre ones.

The team needs a real point guard not five combo guards.

I honestly am having trouble seeing how Ainge is going to get the team moving in the right direction.

Re: The all purpose "feel bad" / parade is over / pessimism thread
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 06:52:39 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
When I get this pessimistic, I self medicate.

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 06:54:35 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
MODS:I thought a similar thread was started a few months ago. If so, please merge.

I really see no good way out of the mess the Celtics are in right now. All the great players have been traded, the rookies are just OK and the ret of the roster is rotation players, at best.

Free agents don't have a reason to come here.  Cap space?  Who cares, doesn't matter.

The team needs a big man/rim protector/defender badly yet teams aren't giving these guys up, even mediocre ones.

I honestly am having trouble seeing how Ainge is going to get the team moving in the right direction.

With all due respect, you're a little over the top here.

Cap space does matter, & money talks.

Draft picks aren't high ?  You'll have your own picks plus Brooklyn's, etc.  Anything can happen at this point.  You have a ton of first rounder's and its virtually unheard of to have this many assets at your disposal.

Stay patient my friend.  This rebuild is wide open.  You have to stay the course.

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 07:02:13 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell

With all due respect, you're a little over the top here.

Cap space does matter, & money talks.

Draft picks aren't high ?  You'll have your own picks plus Brooklyn's, etc.  Anything can happen at this point.  You have a ton of first rounder's and its virtually unheard of to have this many assets at your disposal.

Stay patient my friend.  This rebuild is wide open.  You have to stay the course.
I'd love to stay the course if I knew what it was.

Now tell me, what is "over the top"?  Please explain if there is anything in my post that is incorrect.

You can answer or not, but I will continue my rant because I am disappointed and that is the purpose of this thread. This is the worst Celtics roster I can remember going back to the Bird era. I don't see what the building blocks are. Sully appears to have already peaked out, plus he is overweight and possibly has a motivation problem. Smart seems like a good player but doesn't excellent at much of anything other than defense. Zeller is a nice piece but can't match up against true NBA centers. Young is young and not proven. Wright is too skinny. Green and Bass belong on playoff teams as 4th or 5th options or just rotation players. Nelson and Wallace are washed up. There is nothing to build on.

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 07:14:21 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428

I hear, agree and understand.
Pour a Guinness , put your green goggles on.
Remember that black period after hondo and cowens 70's championships? Before bird was drafted and tiny came?
Well I think we are going to look at 3-5 years of bad basketball with players that simply aren't that good.
Watch ko, smart etc develop.  Maybe zeller turns into a solid nba starter, great pick up. Look for little things.  Take the time to thank god that pit :-Xno isn't here

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 08:37:36 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
You lost me at "the lottery is rigged".
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 09:10:14 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Would the Ernst & Young accounting firm really put their entire companies credibility at risk if the lottery was rigged? They are paid to watch every nba lottery.

But I agree. I was with the Kevin Love thing because it gave me hope. Right now the only hope is in the Brooklyn picks and tanking as hard as possible to get a great pick. Marcus is 'ehh' and Kelly and Sully are decent but nothing special.

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2015, 10:35:11 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
Would the Ernst & Young accounting firm really put their entire companies credibility at risk if the lottery was rigged? They are paid to watch every nba lottery.

But I agree. I was with the Kevin Love thing because it gave me hope. Right now the only hope is in the Brooklyn picks and tanking as hard as possible to get a great pick. Marcus is 'ehh' and Kelly and Sully are decent but nothing special.
Yes I agree, but some people the game thread are ready to say Smart will be an all-star.  I just don't see it yet.

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2015, 11:08:13 PM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
Cue the joke about the kid who wants to leave home and go to Waltham, because the Celtics can't beat anyone.
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2015, 11:18:47 PM »

Offline bobbyv

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 32
Cap space is one of the most overrated concepts in this league. What good is cap space if no real stars sign with you? When was the last time the Celtics signed a star (or even up and coming talent) in free agency?

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2015, 04:00:53 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
The last time they had cap space.
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2015, 04:13:25 AM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
What good is cap space if no real stars sign with you?

Trades.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2015, 04:57:22 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I hate my job.

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2015, 06:22:04 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney