Author Topic: We need a star  (Read 6639 times)

Re: We need a star
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2015, 05:11:28 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968

If Danny could just go out and acquire stars Rondo would still be on the roster.

Right. Lol

Danny isn't looking past stars. It just seems none are available. Or at least for what Ainge is offering.

It's not a question of getting stars, we could have had a few if we wanted to, it's a question of committing long term max money to the right stars. I think we dodged a bullet by not getting Kevin Love this summer. The Cavs even with Lebron and Kyrie are struggling because Love is a defensive sieve. If we were going to commit max money to him and Rondo, we would be stuck in mediocrity. Ainge has alluded to this a few times in his interviews, that he wants the right kind of stars, not just any star.

I still don't think James or Love is a lock to resign with Cavs .....if one bolts .....I look for both to disappear.

Cavs have no extraordinary  coach , no front office worth a flip , no big man ,  no history of doing well in anything but lucking into first round lottery picks .

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2015, 05:27:04 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

If Danny could just go out and acquire stars Rondo would still be on the roster.

Right. Lol

Danny isn't looking past stars. It just seems none are available. Or at least for what Ainge is offering.

It's not a question of getting stars, we could have had a few if we wanted to, it's a question of committing long term max money to the right stars. I think we dodged a bullet by not getting Kevin Love this summer. The Cavs even with Lebron and Kyrie are struggling because Love is a defensive sieve. If we were going to commit max money to him and Rondo, we would be stuck in mediocrity. Ainge has alluded to this a few times in his interviews, that he wants the right kind of stars, not just any star.

I still don't think James or Love is a lock to resign with Cavs .....if one bolts .....I look for both to disappear.

Cavs have no extraordinary  coach , no front office worth a flip , no big man ,  no history of doing well in anything but lucking into first round lottery picks .

I wouldn't be surprised to see Love leave for the Lakers.  However, James really can't leave after one year without significantly damaging his reputation.  Even if things don't work out this year, he's going to have to give the Cavs at least another year to build a Championship caliber team around him. 

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2015, 05:36:59 PM »

Online 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
Most of the "Stars" have gotten older--and not so easy to come by now...I think you have to get lucky to draft one...Like Davis or Durant.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2015, 05:38:25 PM »

Online 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
I also really believe that Rondo is gonna bolt for the Lakers....I think he's more concerned about Hollywood than being on a good team.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2015, 06:42:50 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Right. Lol

The Cavs are struggling because they a very poor defense team overall.  Love is a poor defender but so is Kyrie.  Lebron's defense effort has been poor as well. I don't buy the argument that we'd be stuck in mediocrity if we'd been able to pair Love with Rondo.  Ainge would have still had plenty of assets to acquire more talent and a Rondo/Love pairing would have been attractive to free agents.  There are a number of defensive centers that might have been obtainable to offset Love's defense shortcomings.  As it is now, it looks like we're going to be stuck in a long rebuild for the foreseeable future.   
This is is where I thought Ainge was heading, and I take him on face value that he was truly looking for this route. Once Love didn't happen the only course was to trade Rondo. Now I have no idea what the plan is, but looks like it will take a bunch of years to return to contention.

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2015, 06:48:41 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
I also really believe that Rondo is gonna bolt for the Lakers....I think he's more concerned about Hollywood than being on a good team.

I completely disagree.  I don't see much Hollywood in Rondo.  He doesn't like dealing with the media.  He likes the limelight in big games on the basketball court but not off of it.  Assuming the Lakers don't make any major moves to acquire more talent, I don't see Rondo signing with the Lakers unless they offer him Max money and none of the offers he gets from contenders comes close.  If the Knicks actually want Rondo, I think he'd more likely bolt to them to play with Melo and possibly be a contender in the weak East.   

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2015, 07:15:03 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

Right. Lol

The Cavs are struggling because they a very poor defense team overall.  Love is a poor defender but so is Kyrie.  Lebron's defense effort has been poor as well. I don't buy the argument that we'd be stuck in mediocrity if we'd been able to pair Love with Rondo.  Ainge would have still had plenty of assets to acquire more talent and a Rondo/Love pairing would have been attractive to free agents.  There are a number of defensive centers that might have been obtainable to offset Love's defense shortcomings.  As it is now, it looks like we're going to be stuck in a long rebuild for the foreseeable future.   
This is is where I thought Ainge was heading, and I take him on face value that he was truly looking for this route. Once Love didn't happen the only course was to trade Rondo. Now I have no idea what the plan is, but looks like it will take a bunch of years to return to contention.

I don't think it should have been Love or bust.  I think Ainge gave up too soon.  With Rondo, I think we slip into the playoffs this year in the weak east.  He had this trade season and the off season to try to use all the assets to acquire more talent and reshape the team.  There are a number of bigs (Monroe, Asik, possibly Hibbert, etc) that may have been acquirable which would have helped the team.  I would have looked at trying to get someone like Dragic.  I don't see any stars amongst our young players but there are several that could be very good role players.  With some luck, I think we could have fielded a solid playoff team in the East next year.   

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2015, 07:59:34 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Love carried a bad team in MIN, to little or no success.   His tenure in CLE has been disappointing this far.   I am glad we did not get him.  The one way that Sully is most like Love is that they are both crapola level defenders.

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2015, 08:02:39 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
We do need a star.

Then we need 4 above average role players.

Oh and then a bench.

And Walllla! There you have it.

!
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2015, 08:09:18 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
rondo is what?
rondo to a painful truth
is more interested in less press, fewer interviews and connect four!

I'm happy he's  in a good situation

on to the actual topic

yes we need a star
our chances of attracting one went down when we traded rondo, right now stevens coaching is suspect, second X, third X ainge has made it known darn near everyone is up for grabs every year

we need to draft, sign rookie contracts and entice after that
think 5 year rebuild at this point but don't be surprised if me and some other old farts aren't around for the next championship  :-\
I don't mean the pitino not around either!

« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2015, 08:39:09 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
Love carried a bad team in MIN, to little or no success.   His tenure in CLE has been disappointing this far.   I am glad we did not get him.  The one way that Sully is most like Love is that they are both crapola level defenders.

KG carried a bad team in MIN, to little or no success.  So I wouldn't count that against Love.  Love is an easy scapegoat for the disappointing CLE start.  He's having to take a back seat to both Lebron and Irving.  I think Love would be a much better fit with Rondo than he is with Irving.  I wouldn't be surprised if Love leaves or Irving ends up getting traded. 

« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2015, 08:56:18 PM »

Offline hondobird33

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
I agree that we need a leader/star that is respected by young players to build through the development stage. He (along with the coaches) would hold his teammates accountable and ideally lead by example and words. We have a $13m trade exception to add such a player.  The million dollar question is who fits that bill?  This would also help us recruit other players.  It might have been Rondo but believe Danny rightly believe that Rondo (and he is my favorite player) would be an overpay so take his trade exception and use in on a better fit.  From a development standpoint would love to see Garnett come back (as a coach) to help with the bigs and defense.  Perhaps bring Pierce back to so we have offensive and defensive coordinators (just kidding)>

« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2015, 09:15:38 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
Holding out for a star is most probably just going to lead to disappointment.  Ainge made a bet on Stevens, wouldn't have been my choice, so he should look to acquire players that fit well into Steven's system.  Players on the current roster that don't fit well ought to be moved.  I'd like to find out whether Steven's can actually be a quality NBA coach sooner than later. 

« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2015, 09:22:01 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes

KG carried a bad team in MIN, to little or no success.  So I wouldn't count that against Love.  Love is an easy scapegoat for the disappointing CLE start.  He's having to take a back seat to both Lebron and Irving.  I think Love would be a much better fit with Rondo than he is with Irving.  I wouldn't be surprised if Love leaves or Irving ends up getting traded.
KG led a team with an over the hill cassell, spreewell, and Troy Hudson to the western conference finals
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2015, 09:53:02 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

KG led a team with an over the hill cassell, spreewell, and Troy Hudson to the western conference finals

Cassell and Spreewell averaged 19.8 and 16.8 ppg that season so not exactly one foot in the grave.  I think I'd take them over any two players that Love played with in Minn.  Love obviously isn't in KG's league but I don't think he should be dismissed because he couldn't carry bad teams to the playoffs in a strong western conference.