Author Topic: Any Fiction Writers on Here?  (Read 4371 times)

Any Fiction Writers on Here?
« on: January 03, 2015, 06:42:20 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
Hey Guys!

So I'm starting to dabble in some fiction writing, and I was wondering if any fiction writers on here could give me any helpful tips.

Right now I'm in a doctoral program and working with my Center for Healthcare Ethics as a graduate research assistant, so my writing is just a side project at the moment. I'm working on a fantasy novel with some ethical/philosophy of religion undertones, sort of in the Randian story-telling fashion. I'm now up to the writing stage, and I've done all of the world and character building along with the outline of the narrative.

The problem I'm having is that 99% of my writing experience has been academic in nature, and, stylistically, it has all been analytical or argumentative approaches to philosophical/ethical subjects. So I'm running into the problems of information dumps and a logical (as opposed to a creative) writing style that solves problems analytically rather than taking creative approaches to the narrative's problems.

The obvious answer is to just read more fiction, specifically the genre that I'm planning to write in. Over the years, I've read some from Martin (G.o.T.) and Tolkien (TLOTR) and several others, and I'm even more familiar with their cinematic adaptations. But I'm already reading approximately 400 pages a week for my program and research, so that's not really feasible.

Is there any helpful tips or methods to avoid information dumps and an analytical approach?

What I have so far reads more like a movie/episode script than a novel. How can I move away from that type of writing to a more "novel-esque" type of creative writing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Any Fiction Writers on Here?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 06:45:43 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I'm under the impression you are supposed to write about what you know or experience but I have my doubts about that.

I did see a book today at the library called something like "38 common mistakes fiction writers make and how to avoid them" Seriously. Maybe it could help

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2015, 06:50:50 PM »

Offline jonaslopes

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31
That trade-trade-trade guy, Hawkeye or something, is a hell of a fictioner.
It's nice seeing him get exposed as overrated after having argued with fellow fans for years that he was overrated.. but I don't hate him. I'm looking forward to seeing him [...] bounce around to a couple more teams... eventually come back to Boston[...] and helps us as a role player until he runs himself out of the league.
LarBrd33 on Rondo

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2015, 06:51:20 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
I'm under the impression you are supposed to write about what you know or experience but I have my doubts about that.

I did see a book today at the library called something like "38 common mistakes fiction writers make and how to avoid them" Seriously. Maybe it could help

Well Tolkien, probably the best fantasy writer to date, wrote The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings while he was a professor, which is my career projection right now. So I think there's hope for academics writing in the fiction arena.

And I've done quite a bit of research on tips for first-time fiction writers, but I haven't come across answers to the particular problems I'm having at the moment.

You think I could find that book online?

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2015, 06:52:04 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
That trade-trade-trade guy, Hawkeye or something, is a hell of a fictioner.

Sarcasm or are you being serious? lol

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2015, 06:53:03 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

Well Tolkien, probably the best fantasy writer to date, wrote The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings while he was a professor, which is my career projection right now. So I think there's hope for academics writing in the fiction arena.

And I've done quite a bit of research on tips for first-time fiction writers, but I haven't come across answers to the particular problems I'm having at the moment.

You think I could find that book online?
There's a distinct chance or maybe a summary with examples or something. Possibly even a podcast reading of it.
JRR had significant war experience. 

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2015, 06:55:36 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
maybe just try some exercises. Like try writing some love stuff, some hero stuff, some scifi stuff, some fantasy stuff, some political stuff and just see how you feel and where it leads you.

Unfortunately I think if you want to write about something you just do not know...liiikkke....the halls of Congress....orrrrrr.....a young soldier in the Crusades...you have to do serious research.   Even scifi can take serious research.

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2015, 06:59:02 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2015, 07:01:11 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Absolutewrite.com/forums

Fantastic writing community over there. I can't recommend it enough.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2015, 07:03:24 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
maybe just try some exercises. Like try writing some love stuff, some hero stuff, some scifi stuff, some fantasy stuff, some political stuff and just see how you feel and where it leads you.

Unfortunately I think if you want to write about something you just do not know...liiikkke....the halls of Congress....orrrrrr.....a young soldier in the Crusades...you have to do serious research.   Even scifi can take serious research.

I'm not really having problems with the creative process. I know what I want to write, and I know how I want the narrative to play out in my head.

The problem I'm having is falling into an analytical mindset when putting it into writing. I'm used to writing concise, logical theses arguing for "x," but novel writing is not that type of writing. Do you see what I mean?

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2015, 07:04:33 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2015, 07:05:01 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
Absolutewrite.com/forums

Fantastic writing community over there. I can't recommend it enough.

Thanks, TP!

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2015, 07:05:22 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

I'm not really having problems with the creative process. I know what I want to write, and I know how I want the narrative to play out in my head.

The problem I'm having is falling into an analytical mindset when putting it into writing. I'm used to writing concise, logical theses arguing for "x," but novel writing is not that type of writing. Do you see what I mean?
Um....I kiiiinnndddaaa see what you mean. Kinda.