Author Topic: Could There be a Bidding War for Green?  (Read 8230 times)

Re: Could There be a Bidding War for Green?
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2015, 08:38:26 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
You're so funny.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2015, 09:19:27 PM »

Offline Depalma2002

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
I get that Green's no all-star, but I still think he has value. While he's only a rental, he could still probably be the 4th-6th best player on a contender. Jordan Crawford got us pick #31 and another pick in the low 30's next year, and he's Jordan Crawford.

Jordan Crawford wasn't making 9M per year. A lot easier to find a matching contract and even then we had to include taking on a year of Joel Anthony's 3.8M contract to get that return.

Instead of looking at teams that can use Jeff Green and then seeing if a possible deal can be made with that team, look for teams that have the means to send a reasonable matching salary and return back to the Celtics. This is a much shorter list.

Well that's why I mentioned Atlanta and Toronto specifically. Atlanta has Brand, Bazemore, and Shelvin Mack and Mike Scott making around ten million combined, and all expendable I think. Toronto wouldn't miss Landry Fields and/or Chuck Hayes or even Hansbrough. Then there's Memphis and maybe Phoenix depending on how their season progresses.

Toronto and Atlanta are definitely possibilities. I think people outside of Atlanta underrate DeMarre Carroll and how much they like him. The upgrade is overstated and with them getting the right to swap with Brooklyn, that pick might be too high a price for Green. I definitely wouldn't rule it out. We could always throw in a second or two or take a protected pick in a later year.

« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2015, 09:25:06 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I get that Green's no all-star, but I still think he has value. While he's only a rental, he could still probably be the 4th-6th best player on a contender. Jordan Crawford got us pick #31 and another pick in the low 30's next year, and he's Jordan Crawford.

I just don't see a lot of teams running to give up a lot assets for a guy that can walk in a few months unless it's a Kevin Love like talent.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2015, 07:19:38 PM »

Offline banty19

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 25
Definitely. There's no super team this year so many teams think they can win. GSW is the closest thing to that but who knows if their style will hold up in the playoffs. A few options for Green:

1) Memphis: They're running a poorly-fit 3-guard look with Conley/TA/Courtney Lee. They're also giving big minutes to Tayshaun Prince, who's not what he once was.

2) Chicago: Mike Dunleavy is getting big minutes for them at the 3.

3) Clippers: JG is a nice upgrade over Matt Barnes.

4) Spurs: Insurance if Kawhi doesn't come back or a better small-ball option than Boris Diaw.

5) Cleveland: Cleveland is giving big minutes to Mike Miller and Shawn Marion. JG's not a perfect fit but he's better than those two.

6) New Orleans: Luke Babbitt.

Had to give myself a hat tip :) But I was definitely wrong about the bidding war part. Maybe there wasn't that much interest.

« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2015, 07:20:57 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Definitely. There's no super team this year so many teams think they can win. GSW is the closest thing to that but who knows if their style will hold up in the playoffs. A few options for Green:

1) Memphis: They're running a poorly-fit 3-guard look with Conley/TA/Courtney Lee. They're also giving big minutes to Tayshaun Prince, who's not what he once was.

4) Spurs: Insurance if Kawhi doesn't come back or a better small-ball option than Boris Diaw.

5) Cleveland: Cleveland is giving big minutes to Mike Miller and Shawn Marion. JG's not a perfect fit but he's better than those two.

Had to give myself a hat tip :) But I was definitely wrong about the bidding war part. Maybe there wasn't that much interest.

You do know that the trade to Memphis is not official?
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2015, 07:23:43 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377

You do know that the trade to Memphis is not official?

It's basically a done deal, but really everyone knew weeks ago that Memphis was a reasonable destination.

I never thought we were getting Anthony Davis for Green. The return they got is pretty respectable and in line with what I thought they'd get.

« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2015, 07:25:05 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Steve Bulpett @SteveBHoop about 11 minutes ago

Green to MEM still likely, but wasn't done by close of business today, so couldn't be official until Monday. Celts will check other offers.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2015, 07:27:11 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

I agree with the first half about Green, but Jordan Crawford did not get us anything for being anything other than a contract.  We got the picks for taking on Joel Anthony's contract to reduce Miami's luxury tax bill last year and clear salary cap space this year.  Crawford (and Brooks) simply made enough money to make this deal possible, and Crawford was mildly interesting to Golden State.  But all the Warriors gave up was cash and Roger Mason Jr. -- that's what Crawford was worth.

« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2015, 07:37:28 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704

Green to MEM still likely, but wasn't done by close of business today, so couldn't be official until Monday. Celts will check other offers.

Interesting. So Memphis can still back out , and we can still possibly get a better offer.

« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2015, 07:42:30 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Interesting. So Memphis can still back out , and we can still possibly get a better offer.
Yeha memphis could back out and then I'm not sure who we'd get a 1st for.... Green doesn't actually have that much trade value. 

« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2015, 07:57:06 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Yeha memphis could back out and then I'm not sure who we'd get a 1st for.... Green doesn't actually have that much trade value.

Memphis will not be the team backing out.  If team 3 doesn't want to get involved, and no one else steps up, Boston will take Prince, the 1st, and whatever Memphis was sending to team 3.  Memphis has limited options beyond Green.