Author Topic: Could There be a Bidding War for Green?  (Read 8208 times)

Re: Could There be a Bidding War for Green?
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2015, 06:26:09 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Definitely. There's no super team this year so many teams think they can win. GSW is the closest thing to that but who knows if their style will hold up in the playoffs. A few options for Green:

1) Memphis: They're running a poorly-fit 3-guard look with Conley/TA/Courtney Lee. They're also giving big minutes to Tayshaun Prince, who's not what he once was.

2) Chicago: Mike Dunleavy is getting big minutes for them at the 3.

3) Clippers: JG is a nice upgrade over Matt Barnes.

4) Spurs: Insurance if Kawhi doesn't come back or a better small-ball option than Boris Diaw.

5) Cleveland: Cleveland is giving big minutes to Mike Miller and Shawn Marion. JG's not a perfect fit but he's better than those two.

6) New Orleans: Luke Babbitt.

Don't see it with Chicago - Dunleavy isn't a star by any stretch, but he provides valuable floor spacing (42% from 3) for Rose and Jimmy.

I don't think the Spurs are a match. 1.) They're gonna match any offer on Kawhi.  2.) Green just doesn't seem like a good fit there - they tend to like their perimeter guys to be tough defenders and/or dead eye shooters.

The Clippers would probably be the most logical fit for him, but they have no assets to deal don't have the fillers contracts to make to get the money to work. I still think Atlanta could make a play, but I don't know how open to they'll be to making moves while the franchise is up for sale.

Good points. I guess I always think of Green as a decent shooter/floor-stretcher but the stats don't really back that up. And Chicago definitely has spacing issues. With Rose/Noah/Gasol out there they need some 3-point shooting.

I still think the Spurs could work. Kawhi's injured right now and should be back but there could be some value in the meantime to getting a better record. And Greens' gotta be an upgrade over Diaw/Kyle Anderson. But I also agree he doesn't feel like a Spurs kind of player. Almost all of them are smart players and great shooters. But they also have a rep for turning medicore shooters into great ones.

And I was thinking about Atlanta, too, but Korver has been lights out there. But Green's probably a defensive upgrade at least. And for pretty much any team he can be a great option off the bench at the 3 or as a small-ball 4.

Korver is more of a 2 than a 3 - Green would likely be playing next to him and replaced Demarre Carroll. Teague/Korver/Green/Milsap/Horford would be a pretty solid starting 5.

I'd also keep an eye on Indiana if they're not scared off by Green's impending free agency. They can send out Scola's expiring with Manhinmi and draft considerations. Pairing Jeff with Paul George would give them an insanely athletic wing combination to go along with Hibbert and West. They'd probably have to upgrade the PG spot with a shooter though.

2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2015, 06:28:23 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
Also worth considering is what other players might be available that would have buyers looking elsewhere. I could see Detroit moving Monroe for whatever they could get. I could see Thad Young and Kevin Martin being available, and while Martin's hurt and weeks away from returning, he has 2 years left on his deal at reasonable money. What other vets on the move might we have to compete with? West from Indy? Afflalo?

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2015, 06:30:38 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Also worth considering is what other players might be available that would have buyers looking elsewhere. I could see Detroit moving Monroe for whatever they could get. I could see Thad Young and Kevin Martin being available, and while Martin's hurt and weeks away from returning, he has 2 years left on his deal at reasonable money. What other vets on the move might we have to compete with? West from Indy? Afflalo?

Detroit can't move Monroe without his consent. So I think he'll play out the season in Detroit so he doesn't forfeit is birdrights. Not that they've waived Smith, I don't think they're looking to move Monroe at all.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2015, 06:47:15 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
I think it's more likely that no team is offering a first for him currently as opposed to multiple teams clamoring for his services and offering their best package.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2015, 06:50:24 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff

Detroit can't move Monroe without his consent. So I think he'll play out the season in Detroit so he doesn't forfeit is birdrights. Not that they've waived Smith, I don't think they're looking to move Monroe at all.

Oh, right. Good for us, I guess because the Hawks tried to trade for him this summer.

If Atlanta is thinking big, maybe Kanter is an option if Utah has no intention of bringing him back. He just hurt his ankle last night, though. I'm not sure how serious.

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2015, 06:50:47 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I hope we keep him.....the team is bad enough as it is.

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2015, 06:55:39 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

Green is going to opt out.  I can't see him resigning unless Ainge significantly overpays him which is not a good idea.   

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2015, 06:56:43 PM »

Offline Depalma2002

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
Definitely. There's no super team this year so many teams think they can win. GSW is the closest thing to that but who knows if their style will hold up in the playoffs. A few options for Green:

1) Memphis: They're running a poorly-fit 3-guard look with Conley/TA/Courtney Lee. They're also giving big minutes to Tayshaun Prince, who's not what he once was.

4) Spurs: Insurance if Kawhi doesn't come back or a better small-ball option than Boris Diaw.

5) Cleveland: Cleveland is giving big minutes to Mike Miller and Shawn Marion. JG's not a perfect fit but he's better than those two.

Big difference between teams that could use Jeff Green and teams that are a good trading partner for Green's services.

1. Memphis could work and is one of the more logical. They have Prince's expiring to match with, but what is the value coming back. They have their first rounders tied up in the protected pick to Cleveland until 2019, so it is 2021 before they can send up a pick. IF they are willing to sacrifice Kosta Koufos who is an UFA after this season, he could probably be sent to Cleveland who covets him and we get the 2015 protected first rounder. That would work well for Boston and Cleveland. Is Memphis willing to go with Jon Leuer as backup C?

2. Matching salaries with Chicago might be the issue. They will either have to give up Taj Gibson or Mirotic or put together a pu pu platter of lesser players some of which aren't even expiring. This will require us waiving players off our current roster. I don't see them parting with Gibson or Mirotic. Not really a good fit. Although they might be willing to discuss a deal involving Mirotic and Green but the C's would have to sweeten the deal with draft picks.

3. Clippers same as with Chicago to an extent except they could better match salaries if they include Spencer Hawes (who they reportedly are not thrilled with lately), then a Hawes, Barnes match works. Good news is Barnes is expiring. Bad News, Hawes has three more years at 5+M and another big who can't play defense (he makes our bigs look like Joakim Noah) is not what we need.

4. Spurs. Basically, they'd have to give us about the bottom 5 players of their bench to come up with a salary match and we'd have to waive the bottom 4 of our roster first to be able to make the swap.

5. Cavaliers. Another pu pu platter would have to be eaten to make the salaries work. Plus, while the Cavs have a need there, they also have needs everywhere on their bench and also need a big man which is priority #1. They also are looking for players that they can add using their Bogans TPE and the injured player exception they just received for Varejao. They are not looking for high priced backups for Lebron.

6. New Orleans. Their first round pick is tied up in protection until 2020 even though it is likely to convey to Houston this year. You might be able to put in language like the Lakers/Orlando did to get a pick 2 years after that pick conveys, however Davis, Anderson, Holiday, Asik, and Evans are not going to shipped out for Green. This means the return package is either going to be a bundle of 4-5 end of the bench guys or Eric Gordon who makes Gerald Wallace's contract look like a bargain.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 07:05:08 PM by Depalma2002 »

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2015, 07:17:40 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
I think it's more likely that no team is offering a first for him currently as opposed to multiple teams clamoring for his services and offering their best package.

Agreed.

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2015, 07:19:38 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

Big difference between teams that could use Jeff Green and teams that are a good trading partner for Green's services.

Exactly, hence no bidding war for Jeff Green I'm afraid. Just like there was not much of a bidding war for Rondo considering he would only re-sign for a few teams and only a few teams who would want him had any decent assets to trade.

« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2015, 07:37:32 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
I get that Green's no all-star, but I still think he has value. While he's only a rental, he could still probably be the 4th-6th best player on a contender. Jordan Crawford got us pick #31 and another pick in the low 30's next year, and he's Jordan Crawford.

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2015, 07:44:12 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182

Green is going to opt out.  I can't see him resigning unless Ainge significantly overpays him which is not a good idea.   

Very logical, I wouldn't be afraid to let him walk vs. take back a bad contract though.

« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2015, 07:53:15 PM »

Offline Depalma2002

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
I get that Green's no all-star, but I still think he has value. While he's only a rental, he could still probably be the 4th-6th best player on a contender. Jordan Crawford got us pick #31 and another pick in the low 30's next year, and he's Jordan Crawford.

Jordan Crawford wasn't making 9M per year. A lot easier to find a matching contract and even then we had to include taking on a year of Joel Anthony's 3.8M contract to get that return.

This is why I also agree with the earlier poster who said he thought Evan Turner had more trade value than Jeff Green. Turner is just as flexible as Green as they both can play three positions and he is only a little over $3M. A lot of possible trade partners have matching expiring contracts that aren't even part of their current rotations. Plus, Turner's bargain contract includes another year.

Would he be the 4th or 5th man on as many contenders as Green? No. But he would be a part of a shortened 8man playoff rotation on just as many, he has a much better contract, and more teams would have the means to trade for him. This is where trade value comes from. This is why Rondo's value and now Green's value appears to be disjointed from production. Production is only one factor in determining trade value.

The issue isn't whether Green could play a role on a contender and that there are many teams that he could upgrade in either a 4th or 5th starter or as a key part of a shortended 8 man rotation. He can.

The issue with his salary isn't even whether he is worth it. In today's NBA and for his contribution, he is providing fair value in return for his paycheck.

The issue is that the salaries have to come close to matching and contending teams are normally top heavy in there pay scale with their large contracts going to the players that are key contributors and therefore off the table in trade discussions. This leaves either the odd bad contract that fits Green's salary that is also expiring and these are non-existent among contenders.

Therefore you are looking at taking back a non-expiring bad contract or a multiple bodies deal requiring the waiving of players currently on the roster. This is before even getting to the value the team is willing to send back in addition to the matching salary.

Many contenders have already used their 2015 first round picks in deals to put themselves into contention and most of these picks that were traded are protected which ties up any picks involved in the protection until the picks are conveyed.

Instead of looking at teams that can use Jeff Green and then seeing if a possible deal can be made with that team, look for teams that have the means to send a reasonable matching salary and return back to the Celtics. This is a much shorter list.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 08:03:01 PM by Depalma2002 »

« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2015, 08:09:12 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Did you see him chuckin' with a minute left last night to keep 'dem stats up? Keep gettin' dem checks, #UncleSnoozeButton!
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2015, 08:10:38 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff

Jordan Crawford wasn't making 9M per year. A lot easier to find a matching contract and even then we had to include taking on a year of Joel Anthony's 3.8M contract to get that return.

Instead of looking at teams that can use Jeff Green and then seeing if a possible deal can be made with that team, look for teams that have the means to send a reasonable matching salary and return back to the Celtics. This is a much shorter list.

Well that's why I mentioned Atlanta and Toronto specifically. Atlanta has Brand, Bazemore, and Shelvin Mack and Mike Scott making around ten million combined, and all expendable I think. Toronto wouldn't miss Landry Fields and/or Chuck Hayes or even Hansbrough. Then there's Memphis and maybe Phoenix depending on how their season progresses.