Author Topic: Could There be a Bidding War for Green?  (Read 8231 times)

Could There be a Bidding War for Green?
« on: January 03, 2015, 04:19:39 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
I feel like this is a unique year for the Eastern Conference in that I can't recall it being more for the taking. Over in the West, I can't think of a time when there's been more parity among the consensus top 8 teams. If OKC makes it as an 8 seed and beats Golden State in the first round, would anyone truly be surprised?

So with that said, unlike Rondo, I could see a lot of teams thinking Green could be put them over top when the championship is more up for grabs than ever. While Charlotte and Detroit could use him, the condition their teams are in make it unlikely they'd have any real interest. The Memphis-Cle 3 way makes some sense, but I could see Atlanta and Toronto having real interest due to believing that this season could be their best shot at winning the East. Cleveland and Chicago look frighteningly mortal, and Washington might still be a player away from being a powerhouse.

At the very least, Green could be a dangerous first forward off the bench for either the Hawks or Raptors. The Hawks have the Nets pick (likely 15-16th), and the Raps have the lesser of the Knicks-Nuggets '16 picks as assets. Either way, I see the market for Green being larger than just the 2 teams that were bidding for Rondo.

Re: Could There be a Bidding War for Green?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 04:24:59 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2930
I feel like this is a unique year for the Eastern Conference in that I can't recall it being more for the taking. Over in the West, I can't think of a time when there's been more parity among the consensus top 8 teams. If OKC makes it as an 8 seed and beats Golden State in the first round, would anyone truly be surprised?

So with that said, unlike Rondo, I could see a lot of teams thinking Green could be put them over top when the championship is more up for grabs than ever. While Charlotte and Detroit could use him, the condition their teams are in make it unlikely they'd have any real interest. The Memphis-Cle 3 way makes some sense, but I could see Atlanta and Toronto having real interest due to believing that this season could be their best shot at winning the East. Cleveland and Chicago look frighteningly mortal, and Washington might still be a player away from being a powerhouse.

At the very least, Green could be a dangerous first forward off the bench for either the Hawks or Raptors. The Hawks have the Nets pick (likely 15-16th), and the Raps have the lesser of the Knicks-Nuggets '16 picks as assets. Either way, I see the market for Green being larger than just the 2 teams that were bidding for Rondo.

I think Green would be a really good addition to both OKC and Atlanta, but if he doesn't keep up his level of play from the first part of this season there won't be many takers.

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2015, 04:36:17 PM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
Yup...Green could be a game changer for a playoff team.
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2015, 04:39:17 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Yeah, as long as Green doesn't totally fall apart, there should absolutely be a bidding war for him. What is a mid-first round pick when you can have a player like Green slide into your line-up without too much disruption and give you 15-17 fairly efficient points with decent defense?

The OP makes a good point in saying that there are a lot of teams who feel like this could be their chance and, unlike Rondo, Green could fit nicely on most any team.

No matter what, according to this article, Ainge is certainly still trying:

http://nesn.com/2015/01/report-celtics-still-actively-looking-to-trade-jeff-green-brandon-bass/

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2015, 04:51:13 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I think Evan turner might have more trade value than jeff green. Think about it... Compare turners numbers last year on a terrible Philly team to greens numbers on this terrible Celtic team.  Green is an adequate scorer, but doesn't provide much else.

I think it's pretty well known that green will be moved to the first team that offers a protected late 1st.  So far nobody has done that.  I wouldn't he surprised to see us settle for a 2nd rounder by the deadline.

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2015, 04:56:45 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
No way Turner has more value, green is capable of going toe to toe with lebron in a playoff matchup, and he can score with him.

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2015, 05:05:05 PM »

Offline acieEarl

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 47
Green, Bass, Wright, .... a few of these guys could really help some playoff teams. Not sure how much value they have but with this Cs team I'd trade just about anyone, with the exceptions of maybe Smart and Zeller.

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2015, 05:16:18 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I think he would look good in Chicago. I'm not sure why people say OKC makes no sense to me. That's why they traded him in the first place, he doesn't fit. FYI they got this guy named Durant that plays the same position.  ???

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2015, 05:17:16 PM »

Offline banty19

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 25
Definitely. There's no super team this year so many teams think they can win. GSW is the closest thing to that but who knows if their style will hold up in the playoffs. A few options for Green:

1) Memphis: They're running a poorly-fit 3-guard look with Conley/TA/Courtney Lee. They're also giving big minutes to Tayshaun Prince, who's not what he once was.

2) Chicago: Mike Dunleavy is getting big minutes for them at the 3.

3) Clippers: JG is a nice upgrade over Matt Barnes.

4) Spurs: Insurance if Kawhi doesn't come back or a better small-ball option than Boris Diaw.

5) Cleveland: Cleveland is giving big minutes to Mike Miller and Shawn Marion. JG's not a perfect fit but he's better than those two.

6) New Orleans: Luke Babbitt.

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2015, 05:29:07 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
No way Turner has more value, green is capable of going toe to toe with lebron in a playoff matchup, and he can score with him.
lol right

Do you think Danny mentions that in trade discussions?  "Forget the 7 years of mediocrity... he once went toe to toe with LeBron and lost"

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2015, 05:30:02 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Definitely. There's no super team this year so many teams think they can win. GSW is the closest thing to that but who knows if their style will hold up in the playoffs. A few options for Green:

1) Memphis: They're running a poorly-fit 3-guard look with Conley/TA/Courtney Lee. They're also giving big minutes to Tayshaun Prince, who's not what he once was.

4) Spurs: Insurance if Kawhi doesn't come back or a better small-ball option than Boris Diaw.

5) Cleveland: Cleveland is giving big minutes to Mike Miller and Shawn Marion. JG's not a perfect fit but he's better than those two.

Don't see it with Chicago - Dunleavy isn't a star by any stretch, but he provides valuable floor spacing (42% from 3) for Rose and Jimmy.

I don't think the Spurs are a match. 1.) They're gonna match any offer on Kawhi.  2.) Green just doesn't seem like a good fit there - they tend to like their perimeter guys to be tough defenders and/or dead eye shooters.

The Clippers would probably be the most logical fit for him, but they have no assets to deal don't have the fillers contracts to make to get the money to work. I still think Atlanta could make a play, but I don't know how open to they'll be to making moves while the franchise is up for sale.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2015, 05:35:38 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
You mean Gerald Green??:-))  From hoopshype.com:

Green is playing fewer minutes per game this season (22.2 entering Friday night vs. 28.4 last season) because he started 48 times last season, but he also was down to 18.2 minutes per game during the win streak. Isaiah Thomas' struggles and opponent's backcourt size prompted Green to play more in this week's losses at New Orleans and Oklahoma City. Green entered Friday's games with the 13th highest scoring rate in the NBA, averaging 30.0 points per 48 minutes. Only starters are ahead of him now that Golden State's Marreese Speights is a starter. - See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#sthash.K8Ljpr9N.dpuf

Smitty77

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2015, 05:41:41 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
You mean Gerald Green??:-))  From hoopshype.com:

Green is playing fewer minutes per game this season (22.2 entering Friday night vs. 28.4 last season) because he started 48 times last season, but he also was down to 18.2 minutes per game during the win streak. Isaiah Thomas' struggles and opponent's backcourt size prompted Green to play more in this week's losses at New Orleans and Oklahoma City. Green entered Friday's games with the 13th highest scoring rate in the NBA, averaging 30.0 points per 48 minutes. Only starters are ahead of him now that Golden State's Marreese Speights is a starter. - See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#sthash.K8Ljpr9N.dpuf

Smitty77
Gerald has developed into a really nice player.  He's a free agent this summer... i'll be curious if someone gives him a starting role.  He can clearly score.  He averaged 16ppg last year on 45%/40%/85% shooting... averaging 14ppg off the bench this year in 22 minutes.

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2015, 05:58:25 PM »

Offline banty19

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 25

Don't see it with Chicago - Dunleavy isn't a star by any stretch, but he provides valuable floor spacing (42% from 3) for Rose and Jimmy.

I don't think the Spurs are a match. 1.) They're gonna match any offer on Kawhi.  2.) Green just doesn't seem like a good fit there - they tend to like their perimeter guys to be tough defenders and/or dead eye shooters.

The Clippers would probably be the most logical fit for him, but they have no assets to deal don't have the fillers contracts to make to get the money to work. I still think Atlanta could make a play, but I don't know how open to they'll be to making moves while the franchise is up for sale.

Good points. I guess I always think of Green as a decent shooter/floor-stretcher but the stats don't really back that up. And Chicago definitely has spacing issues. With Rose/Noah/Gasol out there they need some 3-point shooting.

I still think the Spurs could work. Kawhi's injured right now and should be back but there could be some value in the meantime to getting a better record. And Greens' gotta be an upgrade over Diaw/Kyle Anderson. But I also agree he doesn't feel like a Spurs kind of player. Almost all of them are smart players and great shooters. But they also have a rep for turning medicore shooters into great ones.

And I was thinking about Atlanta, too, but Korver has been lights out there. But Green's probably a defensive upgrade at least. And for pretty much any team he can be a great option off the bench at the 3 or as a small-ball 4.

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2015, 06:10:03 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
And Greens' gotta be an upgrade over Diaw.

Can't say I agree at all.