Author Topic: Green to pelicans idea  (Read 4333 times)

Green to pelicans idea
« on: January 03, 2015, 11:43:39 AM »

Offline Deezzyy

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 5
Boston gets: Eric Gordon, Russ Smith and pelicans 2016 pick
New Orleans gets: Jeff Green, Gerald Wallace

Why for Boston: get yet another pick and get rid of Wallace's contract and Eric Gordon can opt out after this year, even if he doesn't he is a huge expiring contract next year that can be combined with picks in an offseason move. If he doesn't opt out and stays healthy could end up being a good bench player.

Why for New Orleans: they want to make the playoffs this year and Gerald Wallace will give them a great veteran presence and even defend in spots if need be. They also get a legitimate starting small forward in Green which they desperately need.

What do you think?

Re: Green to pelicans idea
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 12:06:06 PM »

Offline Depalma2002

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17

Why for Boston: get yet another pick and get rid of Wallace's contract and Eric Gordon can opt out after this year, even if he doesn't he is a huge expiring contract next year that can be combined with picks in an offseason move. If he doesn't opt out and stays healthy could end up being a good bench player.

Why for New Orleans: they want to make the playoffs this year and Gerald Wallace will give them a great veteran presence and even defend in spots if need be. They also get a legitimate starting small forward in Green which they desperately need.

What do you think?

Gordon is not opting out after this year. No way he finds someone to give him even half of what he is scheduled to earn.

New Orleans can't trade it's 2016 pick for two reasons.

1. It is tied up in the protection on the 2015 pick they sent to Houston even though that pick would convey in 2015 if the season ended today.

2. Even if the 2015 pick is conveyed in 2015, the 2016 pick couldn't be traded according to the Stepien rule.

I think the only way they can trade a pick right now and guarantee to have it convey by 2021 would be to trade a pick with the language that it would be the pick two seasons after the pick they owe Houston is transferred. The Lakers used similar language to trade a pick to Orlando while having picks tied up in protection after sending a protected pick to Phoenix. This would mean, as of today, it would be a 2017 pick.

That said, we are basically trading Green for a 1st and taking on a worse contract in the Gordon/Wallace swap.  I don't think that the Celtics will be able to get more than that for Green. Some people overrate his value and will be disappointed.

I'd probably do this. If we really need the cap space, Gordon is only about 1.5M per season more than Wallace for the next three seasons if we were to stretch them both.

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2015, 12:26:37 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
How about Green and Bass to GSW for David Lee and Draymond Green?

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2015, 12:30:15 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33

What do you think?

No way.  Gordon has negative value due to his injuries and contract. Green is worth more than that...

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2015, 12:39:42 PM »

Offline Celtic Fan Forever

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2437
How about Green and Bass to GSW for David Lee and Draymond Green?

GS hangs up the phone, fast
2023 CelticsStrong Historical Draft Champions - OKC Thunder
PG: Chauncey Billups/ Baron Davis
SG: Michael Redd/ Dan Majerle/ Allan Houston
SF: Peja Stojakovic/ Gerald Wallace/ Toni Kukoc
PF: Shawn Kemp/ Antonio McDyess
C: Dwight Howard/ Tyson Chandler

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2015, 12:50:34 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
This could work too with NYC

Knicks get Green, Thornton and Bass
Celts get Shump and Amar'e

On NBA TV they were saying Melo could be out the rest of the season so Green steps in at SF.

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2015, 01:11:15 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Why everyone want to get rid of Green...I hope we keep him..right now he is our best player
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2015, 01:17:47 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54

On NBA TV they were saying Melo could be out the rest of the season so Green steps in at SF.

Absolutely no way GS would trade Green for that package, not even close.  For this one I don't think the Knicks want to improve, they are on pace for a top 3 pick and if Melo is out for the year they could improve on that. 
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2015, 01:31:53 PM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76

What makes you think that NYK will want to win games with Melo out??
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2015, 01:32:27 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Why everyone want to get rid of Green...I hope we keep him..right now he is our best player

Do you think he resigns here this summer--and at a price that makes sense? Getting a little worse this season may make sense for this year's draft anyway.

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2015, 01:34:42 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Can't see the Cs adding the salary for next year. I think Ainge has meaningful plans for this summer's cap space.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2015, 02:03:38 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Do you think he resigns here this summer--and at a price that makes sense? Getting a little worse this season may make sense for this year's draft anyway.

Yeah, after watching the Rondo tribute video, I don't know why we would even consider keeping Green. He isn't going to be a star and he can [easily] fetch us a first. If we are going to trade one of the most dynamic players in the NBA for a late first, then we just need to totally clean house and start over. It's a harsh truth, but there are no band-aids for this Cs team anymore.

As for GS, Draymond Green or Harrison Barnes would be a nice return - younger with enough potential to be enticing.

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2015, 02:10:53 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Celtics are bled dry of talent .....why get rid of the best remaining vet player .

People that pay money for tickets ..do give a rats behind about paying to watch trash. Even if teenagers are only interested in tanking and the next 18 year old star  ::)

I think the front office can t afford to dump more talent and still keep people interested

Trade Wallace and Bass .....

I don't think the Celtics can afford to look as bad as the 76 ers nor should they strive yo be that bad .....it not good for the young players.

Frankly we need serious upgrade s ASAP

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2015, 02:14:08 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I 'd rather have Green than Gordon.   I think some team will want to deal for him during the trade line and it will be a better deal than this one.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 02:20:09 PM by Celtics4ever »

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2015, 02:34:47 PM »

Offline Depalma2002

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17

What do you think?

No way.  Gordon has negative value due to his injuries and contract. Green is worth more than that...

And Wallace also has negative value, so that part balances out.

It's basically Green for a first round pick and IMHO if you think the Celtics can get more for Jeff Green, you are going to be disappointed when you see what his actual return was.