Author Topic: Now that he can shoot, should we sign Rondo this summer?  (Read 2854 times)

Re: Now that he can shoot, should we sign Rondo this summer?
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2015, 11:05:58 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I don't think Rondo would pee on us now if we were on fire, he is done with us.

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2015, 11:07:46 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
You're out of your head if you think Rondo will sign here after Danny Ainge told him that he'll build around him only to trade him.
Yoki... how does sending him to Dallas for a couple months prevent us from "building around him"?

Look I'm going on record here.  If Rondo doesn't sign with Boston this summer it will prove we were right to trade him.   If he wants to be the leader in Boston, he can be the leader in Boston this summer.  We didn't have a team here for him to compete this year.  He can go have some fun in Dallas, we'll regroup and try to put a team together for him to compete with next year.   We still have cap space, it's the same teammates, it's the same coach, it's the same fans and city...  If we were in good position to sign him before the trade we are in even better position after.

I think it would be too harmful to both ours and Rondo's image to try and resign him. Everyone will think and claim, as The League puts it, collusion by Rondo and the C's to get a few extra assets out of a trade.
Pretty sure there is nothing at all preventing us from doing it.

The league prevents it from happening in-season.  Ainge once traded Gary Payton and then after Payton was waived he signed back with the celtics within a month.  They prevent that now... but as far as I know, come the start of free agency, there isn't a single thing preventing us from calling Rondo and offering him a max (non bird right) contract.  And why wouldn't Boston do it?  If Ainge doesn't offer Rondo a contract it suggests we never wanted Rondo in the first place. 

If Rondo turns down the offer, it suggests we never were the favorites to sign him and we were smart to get something for him while we could.

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2015, 11:09:52 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
LOL we SHOULD look at trying to pry Rondo BACK to BOS, regardless of whether he can shoot now or not.

Wow.

If Danny can pull a rabbit out of his hat with Free Agency and the draft this summer, we should try to pry Rondo, regardless.

But that's a BIG "IF"....as big as THIS guy:

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2015, 12:32:29 AM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
Rondo is shooting 40% from three for the Mavs.  Forget the past 9 years where he shot 25%... a handful of games is all we needed for proof...  Rondo just took the leap into superstardom. 

I don't know what is sillier...the notion that you think Rondo can shoot or that he is a "superstar".  Thanks for the laugh.  Funny stuff.
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.