Author Topic: Now that he can shoot, should we sign Rondo this summer?  (Read 2853 times)

Now that he can shoot, should we sign Rondo this summer?
« on: January 02, 2015, 10:25:54 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Rondo is shooting 40% from three for the Mavs.  Forget the past 9 years where he shot 25%... a handful of games is all we needed for proof...  Rondo just took the leap into superstardom. 

As I said in a couple other threads... if you're someone who believed Boston could have re-signed Rondo, I don't see why your position needs to change now.  If Rondo loved Boston before the deal, he probably would love Boston after.   We couldn't put a team around him this year so we sent him for a Dallas vacation.  He can try to compete for a title, get his playoff Rondo legs back, and hit the free agent market without another wasted season toiling away on a bad team.  We did him a favor.

For letting the Mavs rent our superduperstar, we got another pick, his absence theoretically helps us bottom out this season, we got a few more tradeable assets and a TPE that we can maybe utilize.   We can spend the rest of the year developing our trade assets and should be in good position this summer to land another star player.   Then we can sign Rondo as a free agent, right?  What's the max we can offer him without bird rights?  17.8 mil a year?  Should be enough.  If he insists on getting SUPERMAX money using his Bird rights, we can probably work out a sign-and-trade with Dallas.  We can give them their pick back or somethin.  Whatever.  Otherwise, he can sign a max free agent deal and everyone ends up happy.

What do you think?  Should Rondo be our top free agent target this summer?

If no, why?  Specifically, those of you who were convinced we could sign him this summer... what's changed?

Re: Now that he can shoot, should we sign Rondo this summer?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 10:28:29 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
depends on how much money he wants.

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 10:30:57 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
He's over the hill. That acl injury pretty much killed his career.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 10:32:28 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
It will kinda be like when Sean Elliott spent a year in Detroit before being traded back home to the Spurs.

The funny thing about the Rondo deal is that our position heading into the summer really hasn't changed at all.  If anything, we're in better position to sign Rondo now that we added a couple more assets.  It will still come down to how much money he wants.  I don't see why signing Rondo as a free agent this summer is any more of a long-shot than it was prior to the trade.   

For the record, I didn't feel like we were the frontrunners at all.  I expected the Lakers or Knicks to be ahead of us.  That's why I supported the move in the first place.  I expected Rondo to leave us with nothing.

But trading him doesn't suddenly prevent us from signing him this summer.  If we were the frontrunners to sign him prior to the move, why wouldn't we be frontrunners to sign him now?  Serious question.  What's changed? 

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2015, 10:34:33 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Rondo will resign with the C's to give Danny a do over on the trade.
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2015, 10:34:40 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
You're out of your head if you think Rondo will sign here after Danny Ainge told him that he'll build around him only to trade him.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2015, 10:39:55 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
You're out of your head if you think Rondo will sign here after Danny Ainge told him that he'll build around him only to trade him.
Yoki... how does sending him to Dallas for a couple months prevent us from "building around him"?

Look I'm going on record here.  If Rondo doesn't sign with Boston this summer it will prove we were right to trade him.   If he wants to be the leader in Boston, he can be the leader in Boston this summer.  We didn't have a team here for him to compete this year.  He can go have some fun in Dallas, we'll regroup and try to put a team together for him to compete with next year.   We still have cap space, it's the same teammates, it's the same coach, it's the same fans and city...  If we were in good position to sign him before the trade we are in even better position after.

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2015, 10:44:40 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Unless Ainge and the Celtics flat out do not want anything to do with Rondo, why wouldn't they offer him a contract this summer?   And unless Rondo never intended to stay in Boston, why wouldn't he sign the contract?

I mean the only scenario I can imagine is Dallas winning a title and I genuinely don't see that happening.  Dirk isn't going to last much longer.  Rondo doesn't have a history there.  Why not just come back home if Ainge makes an offer?

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2015, 10:45:22 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Yoki... how does sending him to Dallas for a couple months prevent us from "building around him"?

Look I'm going on record here.  If Rondo doesn't sign with Boston this summer it will prove we were right to trade him.   If he wants to be the leader in Boston, he can be the leader in Boston this summer.  We didn't have a team here for him to compete this year.  He can go have some fun in Dallas, we'll regroup and try to put a team together for him to compete with next year.   We still have cap space, it's the same teammates, it's the same coach, it's the same fans and city...  If we were in good position to sign him before the trade we are in even better position after.

I think it would be too harmful to both ours and Rondo's image to try and resign him. Everyone will think and claim, as The League puts it, collusion by Rondo and the C's to get a few extra assets out of a trade.

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2015, 10:45:31 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
The question is will Danny offer him contract even if he wants to go back?

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2015, 10:46:48 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

First of all, Dallas would probably have a better team so may just stay there.

But going back to being the leader. Maybe he did want to be the leader, problem is Ainge thought that he isnt, and shipped him. There's this thing called loyalty. If your GM doesnt believe in you, why would you go and sign with the same guy again?

2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2015, 10:48:48 PM »

Offline GzUP617

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 12

If Ainge adds a No trade clause and a couple of opt out and/or player options than sure he'd consider signing with us again, but I don't think thats going to happen.

The easiest way to get Rondo back would be to bring in established players in the offsesaon before he signs a new contract.

Keeping Rondo with these young prospects that we end up drafting makes no sense,  age disparity is too big.

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2015, 10:50:02 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Still can't tell if you're looking for a serious answer or trolling, but Rondo would leave money + that additional year on the table by coming back to Boston. Even with a sign and trade since he'd only be able to get the non-bird rights max under the new cba. Even if Dirk retires, that Dallas team still has more talent than the C's with Tyson, Parsons, and Monta.
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2015, 10:57:10 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
He 'll go back to coasting mostly ....if his team ...no matter where ...is not in the hunt for the ring.

He has this attitude .....I  don't think he ll change ......it's the same attitude I believe a lot of the NBA star elite have.   They are not giving their all every night for the fans unless the are in the hunt to be title contenders

Rondo has always been lazy unless it was a game that meant something.

No so with KG .....every game is important no matter who your playing for......KG earns his pay , does his job. 

Rondo ....has the BIGHEAD

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2015, 11:04:43 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
Rondo is shooting 40% from three for the Mavs.  Forget the past 9 years where he shot 25%... a handful of games is all we needed for proof...  Rondo just took the leap into superstardom. 

As I said in a couple other threads... if you're someone who believed Boston could have re-signed Rondo, I don't see why your position needs to change now.  If Rondo loved Boston before the deal, he probably would love Boston after.   We couldn't put a team around him this year so we sent him for a Dallas vacation.  He can try to compete for a title, get his playoff Rondo legs back, and hit the free agent market without another wasted season toiling away on a bad team.  We did him a favor.

For letting the Mavs rent our superduperstar, we got another pick, his absence theoretically helps us bottom out this season, we got a few more tradeable assets and a TPE that we can maybe utilize.   We can spend the rest of the year developing our trade assets and should be in good position this summer to land another star player.   Then we can sign Rondo as a free agent, right?  What's the max we can offer him without bird rights?  17.8 mil a year?  Should be enough.  If he insists on getting SUPERMAX money using his Bird rights, we can probably work out a sign-and-trade with Dallas.  We can give them their pick back or somethin.  Whatever.  Otherwise, he can sign a max free agent deal and everyone ends up happy.

What do you think?  Should Rondo be our top free agent target this summer?

If no, why?  Specifically, those of you who were convinced we could sign him this summer... what's changed?

This seems hyperbolic. Small sample size, and we've seen performances like this before—though I think it has as much to do with the players around Rondo as with Rondo himself. Superstars carry teams, and Rondo failed to do that in what was supposed to be "his year" to do this in Boston. He's a great complementary player on a contender.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis