Author Topic: BOS-OKC trade deadline (scenarios)  (Read 5978 times)

Re: BOS-OKC trade deadline (scenarios)
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2015, 07:34:24 AM »

Offline Depalma2002

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
This could work too as I think you unfortunately might have to give up Smart in a Jackson trade

Celts get: Jackson, Lamb and Perk
Thunder get: Smart, Bradley and Zeller.

Too rich for my blood. You are giving up on Marcus Smart already or do you think that we have to pay that high a price for Jackson?

I don't see OKC being able to match an offer sheet for the restricted free agent Jackson after this season as it will soar them over the tax threshold. While, I wouldn't mind acquiring his matching rights, that is all I'm willing to pay for, matching rights.

Considering that Jackson wants a starting opportunity, is looking for his first real payday, and played his college ball at BC, if Ainge promises him a starting job, for starting PG money, and considering there really aren't a lot of contenders needing point guards (why we had to settle for what we got for Rondo), I think the Celtics have an outstanding chance of landing him in the offseason. Are we the favorites to land him? Maybe. Maybe not, but I think we'd at least be on the short list.

I think if you wanted to trade for RJ, dealing Smart is going to be the price.
I am not giving up on Smart BUT, I am not so sure he'll ever end up becoming better than Reggie Jackson who just seems to have a natural feel for the game at point guard.

Also someone else brought to my attention that while Jackson played for BC, Smart played for Oklahoma State which could also play a role.

The thing is that there are three things that most reports all agree on when it comes to Jackson's impending restricted free agency.

1. Jackson wants to start. He has stated this desire numerous times. I believe this is his first consideration in signing an offer sheet.

2. Jackson like most players coming off their rookie contracts is going to look for the money. Particularly since their current team has the right to match meaning that they do not have total control of where they are going to play.

3. OKC has always resisted going over the luxury tax even going as far as trading away a budding superstar in James Harden to avoid it. If they don't go over it for Harden, they don't go over it for Jackson. The chances of them matching are slim. They may threaten to match to get at least something in a sign and trade.

So when you look at all that, I don't want to trade a quality asset like Smart for him. I either want to get him for pennies on the dollar or I'd want the Celtics to go after him as a free agent.

The point guard position in the NBA is pretty deep. There are not a lot of open positions in the NBA and even fewer among contenders. Rule out those that don't have the cap room and then rule out those whose reported first choice to fill the PG void isn't Jackson (Houston is reportedly hot for Dragic) and the Celtics even in a rebuild are on the short list of candidates.

They have the cap space, so money won't be the issue and, if it were, better to find out now than when he comes back with an offer sheet you don't want to match after trading away Smart.

Add in the fact that RJ played his college ball in Boston so has some ties to the area and I like the Celtics chances to get him in free agency if they truly want him. No need to give them Smart for RJ when you can have them both.

This is why I think the price of Smart is too rich. OKC doesn't have the leverage.

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2015, 09:02:48 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Why do people think OKC want Jeff Green ??? ???

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2015, 10:13:57 AM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 21
This could work too as I think you unfortunately might have to give up Smart in a Jackson trade

Celts get: Jackson, Lamb and Perk
Thunder get: Smart, Bradley and Zeller.

Too rich for my blood. You are giving up on Marcus Smart already or do you think that we have to pay that high a price for Jackson?

I don't see OKC being able to match an offer sheet for the restricted free agent Jackson after this season as it will soar them over the tax threshold. While, I wouldn't mind acquiring his matching rights, that is all I'm willing to pay for, matching rights.

Considering that Jackson wants a starting opportunity, is looking for his first real payday, and played his college ball at BC, if Ainge promises him a starting job, for starting PG money, and considering there really aren't a lot of contenders needing point guards (why we had to settle for what we got for Rondo), I think the Celtics have an outstanding chance of landing him in the offseason. Are we the favorites to land him? Maybe. Maybe not, but I think we'd at least be on the short list.

I think if you wanted to trade for RJ, dealing Smart is going to be the price.
I am not giving up on Smart BUT, I am not so sure he'll ever end up becoming better than Reggie Jackson who just seems to have a natural feel for the game at point guard.

Also someone else brought to my attention that while Jackson played for BC, Smart played for Oklahoma State which could also play a role.

Reggie Jackson isn't worth giving up on Marcus Smart. TBH Smart could turn into a 2 guard and not a PG. You don't give up a player with Smart's potential to get a restricted FA. The market for Rondo wasn't good because he is an expiring contract and most teams already have their starting PG. Same thing holds true for Jackson. The only leverage OKC has is the fact that they can match any offer (gives them leverage in a S&T) and the fact that they own his bird rights (leverage in an in-season trade). However, that leverage along with Jackson's talent is not enough to obtain Marcus Smart.