Author Topic: BOS-OKC trade deadline (scenarios)  (Read 5982 times)

BOS-OKC trade deadline (scenarios)
« on: January 02, 2015, 02:39:43 PM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 21
I think Jeff Green has enough value to get the Celtics a non lottery pick (15-30). I'm hoping OKC wants Green and is just waiting until the deadline to see where their 2015 pick is most likely to land. They could protect the pick top 14 this year and top 10 next year. This allows them to keep their pick if they don't make playoffs or Durant/Westbrook get injured again. We have a lot of pieces OKC could want to make a deep playoff run. (Green, Bass, Turner, Nelson, Wright, Zeller, & Crowder)

At the deadline I think we should offer some of the above mentioned players in a deal centered around the contracts of Green and Perkins.

I'd offer Green, Wright, Turner, Nelson for Perkins, Jackson, Collison, Jones. I'd ask for OKC's 2015 1st rd pk too. We could try and snag Jackson for cheap from OKC so we gain his bird rights. That would likely mean adding turner to the deal as well. If OKC fears they won't end up re-signing Jackson, they might pull the trigger.

Ainge should also not hesitate ask for the right to swap the Clippers pick with OKC's in any deal where the C's are giving up the better players.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's my trade proposal (more realistic IMO):

BOS gets: Perk, Jones & OKC's 1st rd pk (lottery protected in 2015, & top 10 protected in 2016, otherwise it becomes two second rd picks---2016 & 2017)

OKC gets: Green, Wright, Nelson

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why OKC does it:

They get 3 good players that would help their playoff run. PJ3 only has 2 years left on his deal. I think Nelson would exercise his player option to stay in OKC and Green might opt in because he's playing for a contender. Wright could also be re-signed using his bird rights. The only reason they don't do it is to keep up the moral of the team since everybody on the team loves Perk.

Why BOS does it:

We get PJ3 to play the 3. We get Perk who can play out the year at back up Center or be traded/bought out. We also get another 2015 pick. That's 3 first rd picks in 2015. Nelson won't stay here next year. Green is likely not part of the Celtics long term future and has the right to opt out at this season's end. Wright I wouldn't mind keeping but he makes the trade more appealing for OKC since they'll lose Perkins.

THE CELTICS COULD ALSO FIND A 3RD TEAM (CONTENDER) TO TAKE PERKINS. THAT TEAM COULD SEND THE CELTICS ANY COMBO OF EXPRING CONTRACTS/PLAYERS ON ROOKIE DEALS (maybe Houston would offer Terry & Shved for Perkins, Pressey, & a 2nd rd pick OR Toronto would offer some of their expirings for an upgrade at back up Center)

Re: BOS-OKC trade deadline (scenarios)
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 02:53:56 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932
I think they'd be more willing to give up Jackson, because they know there's no way they're going to want to pay his upcoming salary raise this summer.

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 03:02:32 PM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday
I think they'd be more willing to give up Jackson, because they know there's no way they're going to want to pay his upcoming salary raise this summer.

That's what I was thinking. I want to somehow get Jackson in a deal (on top of Perkins, Jones, & OKC's 2015 1st rd pk) if possible. Make it happen Ainge!

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 03:15:57 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
This could work too as I think you unfortunately might have to give up Smart in a Jackson trade

Celts get: Jackson, Lamb and Perk
Thunder get: Smart, Bradley and Zeller.

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2015, 03:21:44 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
It is idiotic to think OKC would use Jackson as a cheap throw-in.  If they were willing to deal him, they'd want picks back.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2015, 03:30:49 PM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday
This could work too as I think you unfortunately might have to give up Smart in a Jackson trade

Thunder get: Smart, Thornton and Zeller.

NO WAY WE GIVE UP SMART....DEAL BREAKER! I'd laugh in Sam Presti's ear if I'm Danny Ainge. No way I'm giving up Smart for Jackson (even if Jackson agrees to sign an extension w/ the Celtics). Smart doesn't belong in OKC right now. OKC needs more proven players and vets. Green, Turner, Wright, Nelson for Perkins, Jackson, Jones, & Collison works better. If picks need to be involved to pry Jackson away then so be it. Maybe a few 2nd rd picks if any at all. If they're not willing to come down on their price for Jackson we should forget trying to trade for him

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2015, 04:44:21 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Thunder get: Smart, Thornton and Zeller.

Thank goodness, your not our GM but I bet they would love you in OKC.   Jackson right now is better than Smart but Perk is better than Zeller.

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2015, 05:35:29 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33

Terrible trade for us...  Jackson is the only one worth getting and we'd be giving up our recent Lottery Pick plus 2 solid role players.  Perk is washed up and Lamb isn't better than either Smart or Bradley.  No way....

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2015, 06:22:27 PM »

Offline Depalma2002

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17

BOS gets: Perk, Jones & OKC's 1st rd pk (lottery protected in 2015, & top 10 protected in 2016, otherwise it becomes two second rd picks---2016 & 2017)

Why OKC does it:

They get 3 good players that would help their playoff run. PJ3 only has 2 years left on his deal. I think Nelson would exercise his player option to stay in OKC and Green might opt in because he's playing for a contender. Wright could also be re-signed using his bird rights. The only reason they don't do it is to keep up the moral of the team since everybody on the team loves Perk.

Here's why OKC doesn't do it:

1. It is not even a possible trade as the Thunder are taking too much salary to comply with league rules.

2. Any deal, you make with the Thunder is going to have to be pretty even money. They are less than 1M under the luxury tax threshold. This is a team that traded a young, budding superstar in James Harden to avoid paying the luxury tax. They are not going to soar over it for spare parts.

3. Contender or not, Jeff Green is going to Opt out. He's put ups some decent point scored numbers this year and this is his best shot at a pay day. Opting-in, especially to back up Durant and Ibaka is leaving a LOT of money on the table.

4. If he does opt out, or even if he opts in, they are going to be over the tax threshold next year as well with this deal. You are putting them on the fast track for the repeater tax penalties.

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2015, 06:28:47 PM »

Offline Depalma2002

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17

Too rich for my blood. You are giving up on Marcus Smart already or do you think that we have to pay that high a price for Jackson?

I don't see OKC being able to match an offer sheet for the restricted free agent Jackson after this season as it will soar them over the tax threshold. While, I wouldn't mind acquiring his matching rights, that is all I'm willing to pay for, matching rights.

Considering that Jackson wants a starting opportunity, is looking for his first real payday, and played his college ball at BC, if Ainge promises him a starting job, for starting PG money, and considering there really aren't a lot of contenders needing point guards (why we had to settle for what we got for Rondo), I think the Celtics have an outstanding chance of landing him in the offseason. Are we the favorites to land him? Maybe. Maybe not, but I think we'd at least be on the short list.

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2015, 07:22:09 PM »

Offline Behaviorla

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 1
I agree that OKC could be a great trading partner.

My version:
Celtics get Jackson, Perkins expiring contract and either Jones or Roberson
Thunder get Bradley and Wright

Both teams get balanced upgraded back courts with Smart/Jackson and Westbrook/Bradley.  We turn Wright into cap room and another young asset while Thunder add to front court depth and keep Wright away from other contenders

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2015, 11:59:18 PM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday

Why OKC does it:

Here's why OKC doesn't do it:

1. It is not even a possible trade as the Thunder are taking too much salary to comply with league rules.

2. Any deal, you make with the Thunder is going to have to be pretty even money. They are less than 1M under the luxury tax threshold. This is a team that traded a young, budding superstar in James Harden to avoid paying the luxury tax. They are not going to soar over it for spare parts.

3. Contender or not, Jeff Green is going to Opt out. He's put ups some decent point scored numbers this year and this is his best shot at a pay day. Opting-in, especially to back up Durant and Ibaka is leaving a LOT of money on the table.

4. If he does opt out, or even if he opts in, they are going to be over the tax threshold next year as well with this deal. You are putting them on the fast track for the repeater tax penalties.

I forgot to mention that OKC has a TPE worth 4.15 mil that they can absorb Nelson's salary with. Nelsons salary would count against the cap but not against the luxury tax.

OKC could also include Collison in any deal with BOS to ensure that Wright doesn't put them over the luxury tax. OKC would go $1,761,644 over the luxury if they acquired Wright. Add Collison ($2,242,003) to the deal and it works.

As far as OKC re-signing Green (if he opts out), they will have all of Perkins salary, along with Green's bird rights to ink him to a new deal. Whether he opts in or out, I believe he could take a slight discount in his next contract if he wants to stay in OKC. OKC has Thomas (let walk) & Jarret (waive) who they could get rid of for more cap space. Also, the cap is set to go up. OKC will be fine.

Bottom line of this trade: OKC solidifies its bench with Green, Nelson, & Wright and is more likely to make a deep playoff run out West. I think they do the deal...a line up of Westbrook, Lamb, Durant, Ibaka, Adams w/ Nelson, Jackson (if they don't include him in the trade) Morrow, Roberson, Green, McGary, Wright, & Ish Smith off the bench would be an upgrade.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 10:23:44 AM by CsBanner18 »

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2015, 12:41:50 AM »

Offline HomerSapien

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 43
No way OKC does that deal. Reggie Jackson is their 3rd scorer and their only reliable backup point guard. They are trying to win a championship THIS year. They have Nick Collison, so they have no need for brandan Wright. More importantly though, the drop off from Reggie Jackson to Jameer Nelson is huge.  Jackson plays 30+ minutes a game for them. No way they break up their core for half a season of maybe successfully integrating on again, off again Jeff Green when there current roster has a very good chance to win an NBA championship as is with everybody healthy.

Jackson is probably a good RFA target, but this trade doesn't make sense for the Thunder.

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2015, 11:05:33 PM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday
No way OKC does that deal. Reggie Jackson is their 3rd scorer and their only reliable backup point guard. They are trying to win a championship THIS year. They have Nick Collison, so they have no need for brandan Wright. More importantly though, the drop off from Reggie Jackson to Jameer Nelson is huge.  Jackson plays 30+ minutes a game for them. No way they break up their core for half a season of maybe successfully integrating on again, off again Jeff Green when there current roster has a very good chance to win an NBA championship as is with everybody healthy.

Jackson is probably a good RFA target, but this trade doesn't make sense for the Thunder.

Jameer Nelson is the perfect backup PG for OKC. He's used to playing 30+ minutes (averaged 32 mins in ORL). Wright is an upgrade over Collison. Green is an extreme upgrade to the offense. I'd rather have Nelson, Green, & Wright off my bench than Jones, & Perkins. If the Celtics want Jackson they'll have to sweeten the deal by adding a combination of players & picks

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2015, 11:23:21 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

Too rich for my blood. You are giving up on Marcus Smart already or do you think that we have to pay that high a price for Jackson?

I don't see OKC being able to match an offer sheet for the restricted free agent Jackson after this season as it will soar them over the tax threshold. While, I wouldn't mind acquiring his matching rights, that is all I'm willing to pay for, matching rights.

Considering that Jackson wants a starting opportunity, is looking for his first real payday, and played his college ball at BC, if Ainge promises him a starting job, for starting PG money, and considering there really aren't a lot of contenders needing point guards (why we had to settle for what we got for Rondo), I think the Celtics have an outstanding chance of landing him in the offseason. Are we the favorites to land him? Maybe. Maybe not, but I think we'd at least be on the short list.

I think if you wanted to trade for RJ, dealing Smart is going to be the price.
I am not giving up on Smart BUT, I am not so sure he'll ever end up becoming better than Reggie Jackson who just seems to have a natural feel for the game at point guard.

Also someone else brought to my attention that while Jackson played for BC, Smart played for Oklahoma State which could also play a role.