Author Topic: Rondo: "I haven't played defense in a couple of years..."  (Read 52417 times)

Rondo: "I haven't played defense in a couple of years..."
« on: January 02, 2015, 12:33:22 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 532
Per Forsberg from this morning:  Rondo: "I haven’t played defense in a couple years… But here they expect me to play defense.”

No kidding.....

Rondo: "I haven't played defense in a couple of years..."
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 12:35:49 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2904
I know, I know, another Rondo thread. But I found this very interesting.

According to Forsberg's Twitter account, Rondo stated, "I haven’t played defense in a couple years… But here they expect me to play defense.”

Two things can be gathered from this.

First, as many posters have pointed out, Rondo's defensive effort seemed to dramatically drop off the last several years, especially this year.  From the eye test, this looked very apparent. As soon as he was moved to Dallas, he looked much more aggressive defensively and seemed to put much more effort on the defensive side of the ball.  With this coming straight from the horse's mouth, I think we can put to rest the debate on Rondo's defensive effort and motivation when he was here in Boston.

Second, this also seems to prove that there was some sort of disconnect with Stevens. Along with the Rondo quote, in Forsberg's tweet he also said Stevens is probably throwing his laptop against the wall right about now.  With a coach who is as defense-oriented, or at least used to be, as Stevens, it's hard to see Rondo's nonchalance on that side of the ball flying. Furthermore, for Rondo to suggest that he hasn't played defense the last several years (IN HIS FIRST TRIP BACK TO BOSTON!) seems to be a slap to the face of Stevens, because it was in his system. I don't know. It just seems more and more that Danny ended up choosing Stevens over Rondo in a tumultuous relationship.

Thoughts?

Re: So Rondo admits he didn't play D
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 12:36:50 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
Per Forsberg from this morning:  Rondo: "I haven’t played defense in a couple years… But here they expect me to play defense.”

No kidding.....

Woops! We both posted this at the same time! TP!

Could one of the mods merge our two posts?

Re: Rondo: "I haven't played defense in a couple of years..."
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 12:40:58 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

According to Forsberg's Twitter account, Rondo stated, "I haven’t played defense in a couple years… But here they expect me to play defense.”

First, as many posters have pointed out, Rondo's defensive effort seemed to dramatically drop off the last several years, especially this year.  From the eye test, this looked very apparent. As soon as he was moved to Dallas, he looked much more aggressive defensively and seemed to put much more effort on the defensive side of the ball.  With this coming straight from the horse's mouth, I think we can put to rest the debate on Rondo's defensive effort and motivation when he was here in Boston.

Second, this also seems to prove that there was some sort of disconnect with Stevens. Along with the Rondo quote, in Forsberg's tweet he also said Stevens is probably throwing his laptop against the wall right about now.  With a coach who is as defense-oriented, or at least used to be, as Stevens, it's hard to see Rondo's nonchalance on that side of the ball flying. Furthermore, for Rondo to suggest that he hasn't played defense the last several years (IN HIS FIRST TRIP BACK TO BOSTON!) seems to be a slap to the face of Stevens, because it was in his system. I don't know. It just seems more and more that Danny ended up choosing Stevens over Rondo in a tumultuous relationship.

Thoughts?

Rondo's bad defensive habits started and became cemented under Doc.  I've seen nothing from Stevens so far that indicates he's a defense-first coach.

Mike

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2015, 12:46:29 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
have you played basketball,he tore his acl,do you know what  strain lateral movement takes or how physical and dangerous it is going over the top of screens and multiple screens in todays offense.Dallas is playing for championship is boston.Would you threaten your career for a rebuild and losing season.Sorry,that wasn't meant to come off that way but i suffered a career ending knee surgery so my perspective is different.

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2015, 12:48:51 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Thoughts?

Rondo's bad defensive habits started and became cemented under Doc.  I've seen nothing from Stevens so far that indicates he's a defense-first coach.

Mike

I agree that his defensive deficiencies began under Doc's watch. No matter what, that's a pretty annoying comment. As a leader of the team you'd expect him to bring it on both ends. This comment lends more credence to Simmons' saying he heard he wasn't practicing hard either.

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2015, 12:50:42 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
have you played basketball,he tore his acl,do you know what  strain lateral movement takes or how physical and dangerous it is going over the top of screens and multiple screens in todays offense.Dallas is playing for championship is boston.Would you threaten your career for a rebuild and losing season.Sorry,that wasn't meant to come off that way but i suffered a career ending knee surgery so my perspective is different.

If you're getting paid 13 million dollars annually, you can bust your ace out on the court every night. He wasn't playing with EFFORT, which is much different than what you're saying. I understand an injury will limit his defensive impact, but it shouldn't limit his defensive effort. His defense in Dallas vs. Boston the last several years is very different in effort, which is what is needed most to excel on the defensive end.

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2015, 12:52:11 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

Thoughts?

Mike

Did you watch them play last year? They were a defensive unit first with a horrible offense. Somehow this year they flipped the scheme. And,  correct me if I'm wrong, but Stevens was always known as a defensive coach in his college days, too.

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2015, 12:53:17 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 532
I give him a pass for the 2nd half of last year for that reason.  But not for this year.  On a team where they know they're in big trouble if the ball gets in the paint, they all realize how important it is to try to pressure the opposing guards to make it harder for them to get where they want to go - and there were too many occasions where he just refused to do it.  And he was moving fine since the start of the season. 

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2015, 01:03:04 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
I give him a pass for the 2nd half of last year for that reason.  But not for this year.  On a team where they know they're in big trouble if the ball gets in the paint, they all realize how important it is to try to pressure the opposing guards to make it harder for them to get where they want to go - and there were too many occasions where he just refused to do it.  And he was moving fine since the start of the season.

Yep, exactly. You don't see Smart out there going half-arse on defense letting his man consistently get by him for lack of trying.

Re: So Rondo admits he didn't play D
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2015, 01:11:59 PM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
yeah. i stand by our strategy of not playing defense. we'll see if it works out for those crazy mavericks. doubt it :)

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2015, 01:27:51 PM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
maybe we didn't ask him to score either? we should have.

i guess we did ask him to take it easy out there several times and not try too hard. He followed instructions well there.

i think now we can see where the problem lies - it what we are and are not asking players to do :)
now that we know the issue, we can fix it.
onward and upward! :)

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2015, 01:28:41 PM »

Offline GreenGoggles

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 76
Was this a joke? If not this changes my perception of him quite a lot...

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2015, 01:31:34 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
While this is inexcusable professionally...I think, that the number of players that could say something similar, whether or not they were in the same situation as Rondo, would surprise some people here.

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2015, 01:32:10 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1466
does anyone have an actual link to this?