Author Topic: Mclemore  (Read 7957 times)

Mclemore
« on: January 02, 2015, 01:22:33 AM »

Offline HeadDoctorJ

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 9
What do people think about Ben Mclemore? I have a feeling that Sacramento might soon begin to get a little panicky and make a hasty trade for a playoff run. How about:

Boston gets: Mclemore, Derrick Williams, $5.0M TPE
Sacramento gets: Green, Wright (Wright goes into JET TPE as separate deal)

Re: Mclemore
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 01:29:08 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
McLemore is a fantastic prospect.  If there was ever an opportunity to get him, it's passed.

Sounds like we considered trading the #6 pick for during the draft according to Woj.  Keep in mind this was after a DREADFUL rookie season where McLemore averaged 8.8 points on 37%/32%/80% shooting and looked like a horrid bust.  Now that he's proved his worth by averaging 12 points on 48%/40%/81% shooting... he aint goin nowhere. 

I imagine it's going to be a really serious debate for the next 15 years whether or not we should have traded the #6 pick for McLemore or if we were better off drafting Smart.   That's going to be a great "what-if" to look back on.

Oh and FYI, no chance they take a Jeff Green level talent for him.  No chance.

The ship sailed on McLemore.  We'll continue seeing threads about him, because we know that Danny wanted to buy low on him and supposedly there was something about McLemore for Rondo last season.  But the ship sailed.  Can't see them moving an elite prospect like that for anything less than an all-star. 

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 01:38:09 AM »

Offline HeadDoctorJ

• Oshae Brissett
If you like him that much, what do you think about:

Boston gets: McLemore, Williams, $5.0M Wright TPE
Sacramento gets: Green, Sullinger, Wright (Wright into JET TPE)

A Sullinger-Cousins front court seems pretty badass, I think Sac would do this. But would we? We could draft another big this year, there are plenty of good ones.

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 01:42:54 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I think the only hope behind this is that Sacramento's front office is really out there.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2015, 01:49:43 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
If you like him that much, what do you think about:

Boston gets: McLemore, Williams, $5.0M Wright TPE
Sacramento gets: Green, Sullinger, Wright (Wright into JET TPE)

A Sullinger-Cousins front court seems pretty badass, I think Sac would do this. But would we? We could draft another big this year, there are plenty of good ones.
That's an interesting trade.   I don't think Green has much trade value at all... you'd be lucky to get a late 1st for him.  So it boils down to Sully for McLemore...

For Boston, it doesn't make boatloads of sense, because they have a ton of guards already... many of which are pretty competent.  I like Smart, I like Turner, Bradley is ok, Thornton can play a little, Young has potential.   Adding another guard wouldn't make a ton of sense.

But if you're asking if I'd trade Sully for McLemore the answer is yes.   You'd have to figure out the rest later.  I think McLemore has a brighter NBA future than Sully.

You'd be banking on a long-term core of PG - Smart, SG - McLemore, SF - Young, PF - Oly, C - ?

I could get on board with that.  I'm a sucker for guys who can shoot and McLemore, Young and Oly all look like guys who can develop into dangerous shooters. 

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2015, 01:54:16 AM »

Offline HeadDoctorJ

• Oshae Brissett
Could we keep Sully? How about this:

Boston gets: McLemore, Perkins

Oklahoma City gets: Green, Nelson

Sacramento gets: Reggie Jackson

Maybe we toss the 2015 Philly 2nd rounder to OKC as well.

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2015, 02:04:14 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Could we keep Sully? How about this:

Boston gets: McLemore, Perkins

Oklahoma City gets: Green, Nelson

Sacramento gets: Reggie Jackson

Maybe we toss the 2015 Philly 2nd rounder to OKC as well.
No I dont' think there is any scenario where you're getting McLemore for our garbage.

The reason why he was believed to be available last season is because he was having a truly horrible rookie season.  Truly horrible.  He was thought to be an elite shooting prospect with crazy athleticism and he just stunk up the joint in every way.  Very few people stuck by him.  Everyone labelled him a bust.  It takes pretty extreme circumstances for a top draft pick like that to become available that quick.

Well... he looks brilliant so far this season.  He's grown by leaps and bounds.  He's showing that killer shooting ability he proved he had in College.  His ball handling and defense are dramatically improved.   His shooting percentages have gone from 37%/32%/80% to 48%/40%/81% ... he's going nowhere.  You don't trade a 21 year old shooting guard prospect shooting lights out for someone's bag of rat puke.  Like I said, we had a chance to trade the #6 pick for him when he was considered a bust.  Now that he's proving his ability, you probably couldn't call up the Kings and say, "hey... we changed our mind... we'll trade Marcus Smart for him".   Ship sailed.  They sure as heck aren't taking LESS than they were asking for this summer. 

Thing is, we're going to continue to see McLemore trade threads for several months and perhaps even years later.  The same thing happened when Andre Drummond was believed to be available.  We had some threads about going after Drummond when Drummond was a raw unproven rookie scrub who only showed flashes of potential in limited minutes.  Once he proved to be a double-double machine, it was clear that the Pistons would be insane to trade him... and yet we kept seeing people come up with their crazy Andre Drummond trade ideas. 

That said, feel free to target Nik Stauskas.  He looks terrible this season.  A lot of people believe him to be a great prospect, though.   If you want to gamble on the guy (3.7 points on 34%/26%/81% shooting), now is the time to go after him.  This is the moment where you make a gamble on guys like that... not after they prove their ability and their trade value quadruples. 

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2015, 02:09:33 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
McLemore is a fantastic prospect.  If there was ever an opportunity to get him, it's passed.

Sounds like we considered trading the #6 pick for during the draft according to Woj.  Keep in mind this was after a DREADFUL rookie season where McLemore averaged 8.8 points on 37%/32%/80% shooting and looked like a horrid bust.  Now that he's proved his worth by averaging 12 points on 48%/40%/81% shooting... he aint goin nowhere. 

I imagine it's going to be a really serious debate for the next 15 years whether or not we should have traded the #6 pick for McLemore or if we were better off drafting Smart.   That's going to be a great "what-if" to look back on.

The ship sailed on McLemore.  We'll continue seeing threads about him, because we know that Danny wanted to buy low on him and supposedly there was something about McLemore for Rondo last season.  But the ship sailed.  Can't see them moving an elite prospect like that for anything less than an all-star.

He's got a PER of just over 10 as an offensive-minded player (15 is average and KO 17+ must be on his way to the HOF as a soph).  Assist/TO ratio under 1! Defensive rating of 112 is worse than anyone we have!

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2015, 02:14:20 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

He's got a PER of just over 10 as an offensive-minded player (15 is average and KO 17+ must be on his way to the HOF as a soph).  Assist/TO ratio under 1! Defensive rating of 112 is worse than anyone we have!
Meh.   Pretty much the only thing that matters about McLemore is that he's averaging 12 points on phenomenal 48%/40%/80% shooting.  He's a 2nd year guard who is 20 years old... seems to have all the makings of 20+ scorer.  That's the most relevant thing about him.  Judging his full game at his age isn't fair.  He clearly has potential, he clearly is showing improvement and he is clearly starting to live up to his draft hype.  The Kings would be insane to get rid of him for anything less than an all-star.  Elite shooting guards with legit shooting guard size and elite shooting ability are EXTREMELY difficult to come by in this league.  There aren't a lot of Ben McLemore like prospects in this league.   

Sometimes I wonder if some people have trouble understanding "potential".   There's guys who we can reasonably believe have elite potential.  McLemore is showing all the signs of developing into an elite shooting guard.  Nerlens Noel is showing all the signs of developing into an elite defensive big.  Andrew Wiggins is showing all the signs of developing into a superstar level talent.  Who cares about their PER right now.  Those kids are showing signs of developing into serious players.

But again... presumably Stauskas might be available right now for the same reason McLemore theoretically was available last season.   The McLemore spaceship is out of this galaxy right now... the Stauskas window might be open, though if you're in the mood to pony up for an underperforming prospect. 
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 02:19:26 AM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2015, 02:16:33 AM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
All I know about McLemore is that he's a very talented rapper.

Seriously, I don't think we have what Sacramento wants. They target veterans whose stars have fallen but are still somewhat productive. Being a small-market team with a hard time attracting FAs, they believe that's the market inefficiency they need to exploit, thus the Gay deal and the BKN flirtations.

Rondo with two years on his deal would have been the perfect acquisition for them. They don't really need a SF like Green, nor would trading McLemore make any sense if they weren't getting a SG back. Sullinger would be an interesting target for them but not if it means they have to start Stauskus. It just doesn't seem like we're good trade partners with Sacramento right now.

Maybe they'd be willing to deal Stauskus for Sullinger? I can see them being disappointed in what little impact Stauskus has made this year. Might be a potential trade consideration next season for Ainge is he decides that Sullinger is not going to be worth re-signing.

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2015, 02:25:22 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Seriously, I don't think we have what Sacramento wants. They target veterans whose stars have fallen but are still somewhat productive. Being a small-market team with a hard time attracting FAs, they believe that's the market inefficiency they need to exploit, thus the Gay deal and the BKN flirtations.

Rondo with two years on his deal would have been the perfect acquisition for them. They don't really need a SF like Green, nor would trading McLemore make any sense if they weren't getting a SG back. Sullinger would be an interesting target for them but not if it means they have to start Stauskus. It just doesn't seem like we're good trade partners with Sacramento right now.

Maybe they'd be willing to deal Stauskus for Sullinger? I can see them being disappointed in what little impact Stauskus has made this year. Might be a potential trade consideration next season for Ainge is he decides that Sullinger is not going to be worth re-signing.

Yeah again... think about Sacto's mentality last season.   McLemore is averaging an underwhelming 8 points on horrid shooting percentages... they have a chance to land an "all-star" PG who they have reason to believe could lead the team deep into the playoffs.   It's a semi reasonable gamble that makes some sense in the same way that Boston trading "under-performing" prospect Chauncey Billups for 27 year old "all-star" PG Kenny Anderson made some sense. 

A year later, McLemore blossoms into one of the best guard prospects in the league while Rondo's trade value plummets due to his inability to help his team win, his falling numbers, and impending free agency.   The circumstances changed dramatically.  It no longer made a lick of sense for Sacramento. 

I imagine they are very pleased they held onto McLemore.  What he's doing this season is eye-opening.  Stauskas is having an even worse season this year than McLemore had last year... but you gotta wonder if ownership may have learned their lesson... you don't give up on high-level prospects mid-way through their rookie season.   Lucky for them they learned that lesson without sacrificing McLemore in the process.   Boston had to learn that lesson the hard way when they dumped Billups for "All-star" Kenny Anderson and later dumped Joe Johnson for a Rodney Rogers rental.   Dumping elite prospects during their rookie season is rarely a smart move.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 02:30:24 AM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2015, 02:31:40 AM »

Offline HeadDoctorJ

• Oshae Brissett
I think Sacramento could start Green next to Gay since they have different skill sets, and that could be a versatile combo for both small and big lineups.

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2015, 02:32:52 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
I think Sacramento could start Green next to Gay since they have different skill sets, and that could be a versatile combo for both small and big lineups.
Or they could just stick with McLemore... who is already a more efficient scorer, 7 years younger with a far higher ceiling than Jeff Green.

We'll be lucky to get a late 1st for Jeff Green.  There's zero chance you're getting someone like Mclemore for him.  More likely we end up dumping him for a 2nd rounder. 

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2015, 06:44:33 AM »

Offline goCeltics

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 68
I was think about a trade were the c's pick up laundry and Thompson contracts and pick up a prospect,

think they could manage green+bass+turner+wright for laundry+Thompson+stuaskas+Williams

for Maclemore instead of stuaskas I think ur subbing bass/turner and putting in sully/Thornton plus the clippers pick even

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2015, 07:34:53 AM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258

Yeah again... think about Sacto's mentality last season.   McLemore is averaging an underwhelming 8 points on horrid shooting percentages... they have a chance to land an "all-star" PG who they have reason to believe could lead the team deep into the playoffs.   It's a semi reasonable gamble that makes some sense in the same way that Boston trading "under-performing" prospect Chauncey Billups for 27 year old "all-star" PG Kenny Anderson made some sense. 

A year later, McLemore blossoms into one of the best guard prospects in the league while Rondo's trade value plummets due to his inability to help his team win, his falling numbers, and impending free agency.   The circumstances changed dramatically.  It no longer made a lick of sense for Sacramento. 

I imagine they are very pleased they held onto McLemore.  What he's doing this season is eye-opening.  Stauskas is having an even worse season this year than McLemore had last year... but you gotta wonder if ownership may have learned their lesson... you don't give up on high-level prospects mid-way through their rookie season.   Lucky for them they learned that lesson without sacrificing McLemore in the process.   Boston had to learn that lesson the hard way when they dumped Billups for "All-star" Kenny Anderson and later dumped Joe Johnson for a Rodney Rogers rental.   Dumping elite prospects during their rookie season is rarely a smart move.

Right, the Anderson deal happening for a similar reason: impatience. Pitino had just arrived but couldn't wait for Billups to develop. The Kings' owner Ranadive just arrived last year and new guys always want to make a splash in their first year.

If I recall correctly the Joe Johnson for Rogers/Delk deal was for money. Specifically, ownership wanted the playoff money a long but ultimately futile run in the playoffs would provide. I don't think in today's NBA there are owners who would do something so blatantly myopic though. Similarly, the Vin Baker deal was done to make the team's books look more appealing to potential buyers when actually the long-term effect of his deal was significantly worse.

I would definitely take a flyer on Stauskas but as I said, I don't think we have what they want. Do we have somebody that is horrible at defense but great at totally wide open layups? He could fit in with their cherry-picking offense.