Poll

Can ainge convince butler to come to boston?

Yes
6 (42.9%)
No
1 (7.1%)
Maybe
7 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: If you were jimmy butler would you sign in boston under these conditions  (Read 2320 times)

Offline Hawkeye199

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 131
If by some miracle we won the lottery and drafted okafor. Then smart started playing to his potential averaging say 15 points night with starter minutes. Finally, Boston offers jimmy butler a 5 year max contract. Do you think he would do it to be a big three of okafor,smart,butler. I mean sully would start at the four and be a border line all-star. the bench would be strong with the likes of zeller,olynyk and young coming off the bench.

So my question is could singe convince butler to be leader of this team  and lead this team to victory?
zach lavine-jeremy lin-tyus jones
jeremy lamb-tyshen prince-Andre miller
will barton- beljina-
Kevin love-kevin garnet-payne
Karl anthoney Towns-JJ hickson

Re: If you were jimmy butler would you sign in boston under these conditions
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 11:56:05 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
You are overrating Butler!!

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2015, 11:58:37 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
The Bulls can match whatever we offer and then some. He's going to get the max somewhere. We'll see this summer, but I think Chicago moves Gibson and gives him the max.

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 12:19:08 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2665
  • bammokja
yeah, but sometimes it is fun to dream.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2015, 01:17:27 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
yeah, but sometimes it is fun to dream.  ;D

Yeah.

I'm more grounded.

My hope is that Sully grows another two inches and becomes DeMarcus Cousins.

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2015, 01:52:24 AM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
Hypothetically speaking (because Butler is going nowhere), for Jimmy Butler to even consider us over the Bulls or rival suitors we'd have to be playing a LOT better. So much so that being in a position to draft Okafor or any top prospect would then be impossible or extremely unlikely.

We're not going to be getting the FAs that are in demand this summer. Everyone should focus their energies on FAs who are not as desirable. Maybe we have a shot at a guy like Kyle O'Quinn or DeMarre Carroll. Generally speaking though, guys who are young and available are so for a reason - they disappointed somewhat in their previous stops and the Celtics would be banking on some hidden value. Take Evan Turner for example, nobody wanted him after his lackluster year on two teams and that's the only reason we could get him.

Of course, the possibility always exists that we could overpay someone who we deem as undervalued compared to the market, but I don't see a name out there that we should acquire in that fashion. Like, would it really be worth it to outbid Philly and other teams for KJ McDaniels? Or Enes Kanter, Reggie Jackson, and Bismarck Biyombo? Do any of those players have the potential to live up to an overpay?

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2015, 02:44:35 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Jimmy Butler getting a max contract totally seems like the type of overreaction move a team makes and later regrets. 

He's having a really nice season through 30 games... I mean... if he keeps this up all season i could see him getting a huge contract, but somehow I doubt he keeps this up.

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2015, 08:23:56 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
Jimmy Butler getting a max contract totally seems like the type of overreaction move a team makes and later regrets. 

He's having a really nice season through 30 games... I mean... if he keeps this up all season i could see him getting a huge contract, but somehow I doubt he keeps this up.
why?  this is what players do, they slowly get better every year until they hit their peak.  Butler has improved every year in the league (though did take a step back shooting last year though he seems to have fixed that).  He is now still just 25 years old and seems to be just be entering his prime in his 4th year (which is about right historically).  He actually has a fairly similar trajectory as Joe Johnson. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2015, 08:45:07 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Eventually with all the assets DA has .....he ll,be able to land......hopefully a BIG the Celtics can build around.  I think that is what Philly is doing ...just kept getting lottery picks and eventually you'll get the next Duncan or Howard .

Once Danny lands a franchise player ......then it will be easier to shop free agents.

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2015, 08:47:28 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
It would also have to be a 4 year contract, not 5, correct?

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2015, 09:21:46 AM »

Offline Dedalus

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 21
No.

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2015, 09:39:32 AM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
If the Bulls can afford him and he wants to stay there, he will.

If for some reason, he wants out, I don't see why Boston wouldn't be a reasonable destination. He's a young player looking to get paid well and have a successful career on a big stage with a team that will be successful over the long run.

Boston has a lot of young players with promise, and more draft picks that anyone else. An intelligent agent and player can see that there is upside to becoming a Celtic. I wouldn't rate us as the most desirable destination just yet, but there are a lot of places that look far more hopeless (Brooklyn, being a good example).

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2015, 05:47:42 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33

+1