Author Topic: Goran Dragic a fit for the Celtics?  (Read 2931 times)

Goran Dragic a fit for the Celtics?
« on: January 01, 2015, 09:30:15 PM »

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 195
Red's Army had a post today on Goran Dragic, arguing that the Suns will need to part with one of their expensive backcourt chips (Dragic, Bledsoe and I. Thomas) and that Dragic may be available by trade at the deadline.

http://redsarmy.com/2015/01/01/why-the-celtics-should-target-goran-dragic/

I haven't watched much of Dragic play, so I'm really not that familiar with his game. Just wondering what others think about this.

One thought, which the post kind of touched on... Smart really opens up a great deal of flexibility regarding who you choose to go after at PG or SG, because of his ability to guard both backcourt positions effectively. So the notion of pairing him with a sweet-shooting, offensively-minded PG and asking Smart to guard the tougher of the backcourt opponents makes sense to me.
"A thought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love."

http://fruittreeblog.com

Re: Goran Dragic a fit for the Celtics?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 09:47:07 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
yes, yes yes

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2015, 09:49:24 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I'd be more up for it if Dragic were 24 instead of 28. At that age, he's a mid-level piece I think you acquire later on in the rebuilding process.

But yeah, the basic premise that Smart and Dragic (or a Dragic-type) would be a nice fit seems sensible enough to me.

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2015, 09:51:47 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Red's Army had a post today on Goran Dragic, arguing that the Suns will need to part with one of their expensive backcourt chips (Dragic, Bledsoe and I. Thomas) and that Dragic may be available by trade at the deadline.

I haven't watched much of Dragic play, so I'm really not that familiar with his game. Just wondering what others think about this.

One thought, which the post kind of touched on... Smart really opens up a great deal of flexibility regarding who you choose to go after at PG or SG, because of his ability to guard both backcourt positions effectively. So the notion of pairing him with a sweet-shooting, offensively-minded PG and asking Smart to guard the tougher of the backcourt opponents makes sense to me.

I would LOVE a Dragic/Smart backcourt, but I highly doubt they'll end up getting rid of him. A Thomas/Bledsoe backcourt is extremely small, and they'll pretty much look to give Thomas away before Dragic.

Also, who would we send them? A Green for Dragic swap would work, but I'm not sure they necessarily want Green. And Green also presents the same problem of being a possible free agent at season's end, too.

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2015, 10:02:55 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Yes Dragic would be a great fit next to Smart and in Stevens' motion/outside shooting offense .

I would give them Bradley and a few picks (clips/Dallas) . Wouldn't offer more than that . We can go after him in free agency .

Still have cap space to go after a Center ( Hibbert ,Jordan,Kanter, Robin Lopez)

Dragic            / Turner
Smart            / Young
Top 10 pick   / Crowder
Sully             / KO
UFA              / Zellar

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2015, 10:06:58 PM »

Offline Skywalker2.0

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 247

I've seen Dragic play a few times. One thing that stands out to me is his explosiveness, something that the C's lack. However, I think that Thomas will be the odd man out in Phoenix. I might prefer Thomas anyway because he is younger and is signed for a longer period of time.

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2015, 10:10:47 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
Phoenix will NOT be giving up Goran Dragic...First he is [dang] Good...Second, it's Phoenix and they like players who have the same complexion as Alvan Adams and Paul Westphal.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2015, 10:15:10 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Dragic really likes playing in Phoenix.  He's not leaving voluntarily, and I doubt the Suns have any intention of trading him.  If the trio of Bledsoe-Thomas-Dragic doesnt work, he's the least likely to depart.

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2015, 09:42:09 AM »

Offline Depalma2002

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
I don't like giving up assets just to attain a players Bird rights unless we can confidently put the chances of his resigning at 90% or better.

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2015, 09:42:45 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Dragic really likes playing in Phoenix.  He's not leaving voluntarily, and I doubt the Suns have any intention of trading him.  If the trio of Bledsoe-Thomas-Dragic doesnt work, he's the least likely to depart.

Exactly.

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2015, 10:58:33 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
I'd give up anyone currently on our roster for Dragic.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2015, 02:41:07 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I'd give up anyone currently on our roster for Dragic.

Offseason sign and trade, Wallace, Smart, and Young for Dragic.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference