Author Topic: Does Cleveland say no? (trade idea BOS-MIN-CLE)  (Read 3251 times)

Does Cleveland say no? (trade idea BOS-MIN-CLE)
« on: January 01, 2015, 08:35:35 PM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 21
Does Cleveland do this deal? I think its a good deal, but would CLE be willing to take on Pekovic's 12.1mil contract over the next 4 years? That may be too big of a commitment for he CAVS to make.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3 team trade b/w the Celtics, Cavaliers, & T-Wolves:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BOS receives: Dion Waiters
BOS sends: Brandan Wright & 2015 clippers 1st rd pk

CLE receives: Pekovic
CLE sends: Waiters, Thompson, & Haywood

MIN receives: Thompson, Wright, Haywood, 2015 clips 1st rd pk
MIN sends: Pekovic

Here's the link:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=q84bf42

Re: Does Cleveland say no? (trade idea BOS-MIN-CLE)
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 08:39:01 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
Cleveland says no. What does Pekovic do all that better/different than Thompson?

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2015, 09:05:33 PM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday
Cleveland says no. What does Pekovic do all that better/different than Thompson?

Pekovic is one season removed from averaging 17.4 ppg & 8.7 rebs. He a better scorer and starter than Thompson. He's 6'11 & 295 lbs. Big body down low. Kyrie, Miller, Lebron, Love, Pekovic would make Cleveland better. Love & Pek played in Minny together so that might improve chemistry for the team as well. I think Cleveland says no too, but definitely not because of talent. More so to do with Pekovic's contract.

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2015, 09:18:10 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367

Pekovic is one season removed from averaging 17.4 ppg & 8.7 rebs. He a better scorer and starter than Thompson. He's 6'11 & 295 lbs. Big body down low. Kyrie, Miller, Lebron, Love, Pekovic would make Cleveland better. Love & Pek played in Minny together so that might improve chemistry for the team as well. I think Cleveland says no too, but definitely not because of talent. More so to do with Pekovic's contract.

Right, I agree that Pekovic is the better player, but Thompson is younger and far cheaper, and has shown flashes of being able to do much of what Pekovic does right now.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2015, 09:31:33 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
This article says the Celtics don't want Waiters:  http://www.sportsgrid.com/nba/should-the-cavs-just-trade-dion-call-for-the-ball-waiters/

I don't know how reliable that is or if it is true, the author mentions it like it's common knowledge but I haven't seen it before.  I personally like your offer and would do it if I was the Celts as Waiters is a good buy low candidate but I doubt the Cavs would take on that salary.
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2015, 09:33:20 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Cleveland says no.

1.  The trade hurts their depth, which they desperately need right now;

2.  The trade hurts their defense, which is their weakness right now;

3.  With Lebron, Kyrie, and Love, Pekovic's scoring would be negligible;

4.  Cleveland is giving up the Haywood contract, which is their primary means of improving the team in the off-season.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2015, 09:58:42 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
The Cavs don't need an interior scorer, they need interior defense.  Pekovic isn't really going to help on that end.

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2015, 10:07:38 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Love and Pek were awful defensively for a few years in Minnesota, so I doubt Cleveland does that considering the track record they have on that end.

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2015, 10:22:28 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
I don't think you need Minni in this.  I think the pieces exist for a direct trade with Cleveland (needs to be done as two separate trades due to restrictions on Wright):

Summary:

Wright and Turner
for
Waiters, Haywood, Memphis Pick

Clev gets the big that they need and also get Turner to play veteran minutes at SG and SF (and maybe a little PG if they want to experiment with that).  I think Turner would be an upgrade over Waiters at least in terms of versatility.

We get Waiters, a promising player who has not fulfilled his promise but seems like a better timeline for this team than Turner.  Then we also get a pick and an expiring/non-guaranteed contract that is supposed to have some trade value next off-season.

I see it as Turner is more of a veteran and has more immediate value to Cle but Waiters is younger (23 vs. 26) and may have more upside for us.

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2015, 10:28:08 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I don't think you need Minni in this.  I think the pieces exist for a direct trade with Cleveland (needs to be done as two separate trades due to restrictions on Wright):

Summary:

Wright and Turner
for

Clev gets the big that they need and also get Turner to play veteran minutes at SG and SF (and maybe a little PG if they want to experiment with that).  I think Turner would be an upgrade over Waiters at least in terms of versatility.

We get Waiters, a promising player who has not fulfilled his promise but seems like a better timeline for this team than Turner.  Then we also get a pick and an expiring/non-guaranteed contract that is supposed to have some trade value next off-season.

I see it as Turner is more of a veteran and has more immediate value to Cle but Waiters is younger (23 vs. 26) and may have more upside for us.

Don't think this is realistic even without the draft pick. Isn't Waiters considered better than Turner, and Thompson better than Wright? Is Wright really the answer to their interior defense issues?

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2015, 11:42:01 PM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday
This article says the Celtics don't want Waiters:  http://www.sportsgrid.com/nba/should-the-cavs-just-trade-dion-call-for-the-ball-waiters/

I don't know how reliable that is or if it is true, the author mentions it like it's common knowledge but I haven't seen it before.  I personally like your offer and would do it if I was the Celts as Waiters is a good buy low candidate but I doubt the Cavs would take on that salary.

This article seems like pure speculation to me. I agree that Waiters is a good buy low candidate. Last year would you have traded Jeff Green OR Sully for Jimmy Butler if you had the chance? Probably not...Now look at him having a breakout season for the Bulls! SMH I'm tired of seeing all these players (Antetekounmpo, Shabazz Muhammad, Draymond Green, Tobias Harris!!!) that the Celtics could've traded for or drafted in the past have great success elsewhere. Lets be like those teams and acquire talent that we see potential in, and pray he has a breakout year. The moral of the story is "scared money don't make no money". You have to invest to get a profit. To me even though we have Bradley starting at the 2 and James Young (hope he puts on weight so he can defend SFs better) also waiting to play SG/SF, we should still trade for Waiters!

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2015, 12:20:19 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2484

Summary:

Wright and Turner
for

i think cleveland rejects this deal, turner probably isn't a good fit for them, he's a good ball handler but that role would be diminished by james/irving, and turner also struggles shooting 3s. i'm also not a big fan of waiters, he doesn't really seem to do anything well. he could improve, but i don't see how he fits in with this team's future, we already have plenty of good-but-not-great players. form a pure value standpoint he's probably worth more than turner - but my hopes for him getting a lot better are pretty low.
wright for their trade exception + the memphis pick makes more sense from a team building perspective IMO, though we'd be getting slightly less value back.

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2015, 02:53:47 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
It will be interesting to see where Pek lands.   I also think the Wolves will probably trade Thad Young... they have a nice potential lineup in PG - Rubio, SG - Wiggins, SF - Muhammad, PF - Bennett, C - Dieng ... It will struggle in the short-term, but with the way Wiggins is playing recently, it could be really good in the long-term... especially after they bottom out for more picks and get some assets from the Pek and young trades.

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2015, 07:47:24 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
I don't really see this for the Cs, either. Ainge is still firmly in sell mode -- no buying right now, and Waiters isn't worth changing that.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2015, 08:26:20 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Clevland says no Pek doesn't give them what they need.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet