Author Topic: Tom Brady frees up $24M for Pats  (Read 2948 times)

Tom Brady frees up $24M for Pats
« on: December 29, 2014, 05:03:59 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Under the new deal, Brady changed the $24 million in "skill" guarantee to only "injury" guarantee, meaning that Brady now would get the guaranteed money only if he were injured.

Brady also now can be released by the Patriots without any liability, but he then would become an unrestricted free agent, free to command the type of guaranteed money he has agreed to surrender.

The move frees up cash for the Patriots to use on other players. New England needs the cash to help re-sign some of its own free agents, including cornerback Darrelle Revis, safety Devin McCourty, tackle Nate Solder and running back Shane Vereen, among others

Much respect to a great player, and to think he was chosen in the sixth round.

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/12094227/tom-brady-restructures-contract-give-new-england-patriots-24-million-more-cash
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

Re: Tom Brady frees up $24M for Pats
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 05:11:27 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Being a basketball blog, we always look at Tim Duncan, Popovich, and the Spurs and think just how lucky they are compared to us (and every other NBA team). However, we have our own Spurs situation in Brady, Belichick, and the Pats. The Cs have always been my favorite, but the Patriots are definitely number 2.

I just hope Brady can play forever.  :D

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 05:14:49 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Hope the Pats reward Tom with a great FA receiver signing this off season.  Also sign Revis long term.

Brady gets it.  More than Peyton ever will.

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 05:16:49 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1617
  • What a Pub Should Be
Trying to decipher the intricacies of this move.  From the sounds of it (Miguel's@PatsCap.com), it sounds like its a cash flow move and not necessarily a cap freeing move.   Essentially, the Pats just avoided putting $24 million in escrow because of this move. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2014, 05:18:59 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
I don't understand how this works.  It sounds great but it seems like the Pats only save the money if he gets cut and this change gives them the option to cut him.  I am not sure I see how exactly they can keep Brady and have $24M more to spend.  Can someone break this down?  Brady has always been willing to accept team friendly deals so I am not knocking Tom, I just don't understand how this works.

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2014, 05:24:19 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
I don't understand how this works.  It sounds great but it seems like the Pats only save the money if he gets cut and this change gives them the option to cut him.  I am not sure I see how exactly they can keep Brady and have $24M more to spend.  Can someone break this down?  Brady has always been willing to accept team friendly deals so I am not knocking Tom, I just don't understand how this works.

The way I'm understanding it is that Brady's contract was a guaranteed "skills" contract prior to today's move.    Changing the label to "injury-only" doesn't change the cap number in any way.  It just changes the dynamic of how the $24 million is paid out.   

The amounts of fully guaranteed contracts have to be paid in escrow by the team to the NFL.    So the Pats would've been on the hook to cut the league a check to the NFL for $24 million.  Now they can pay his salary "in house" on a weekly basis instead because of the change in nature.  So that frees up cash for the Patriots rather than bite a $24 million bullet at the moment. 

EDIT:  One last thing is that this move changes the cap hit if he was traded or cut.  Becomes more team friendly. 

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2014, 05:51:02 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
One last thing is that this move changes the cap hit if he was traded or cut.  Becomes more team friendly.

Hmm, I wonder how likely either of those to options are?  Seems pretty unlikely that Brady won't get his money so I guess it really is a cash flow thing for the Krafts.  Hard to imagine they are having cash problems and had to go to Tom for help.

Is there any difference if Brady were to just retire?  Is that the same as being cut?

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2014, 05:57:58 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Awesome, great guy AND QB.

Can we clone him and send his duplicate to Washington?

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2014, 06:03:49 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
One last thing is that this move changes the cap hit if he was traded or cut.  Becomes more team friendly.

Hmm, I wonder how likely either of those to options are?  Seems pretty unlikely that Brady won't get his money so I guess it really is a cash flow thing for the Krafts.  Hard to imagine they are having cash problems and had to go to Tom for help.

Is there any difference if Brady were to just retire?  Is that the same as being cut?

I don't think the Krafts have any cash issues of the sort. Its just the practical matter of being able to spread out $24 million rather than cutting a $24 million check at one time. 

The remaining signing bonus would still hit the cap if he retired.  Just depends on the timing of when the retirement would be made in regards to which cap year it would hit.  League year starts on June 1st.