Author Topic: James Young back on the court..  (Read 16569 times)

Re: James Young back on the court..
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2014, 11:02:55 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I think if the Red Claws are doing defensive rotations similar to Stevens' then Young will be ready sooner than later.
Stevens is doing defensive rotations? That's a good one.

Well, being the 13th best defensive team with our personnel would suggest that he does.

I'm willing to believe we're better defensively than we look but there's no way we're the 13th best defense in the league.

Mike
The metric used is points allowed per possession. Of course, the difference between the 13th and the 23rd team under this metric is pretty much identical to the difference between the first and the fourth team, so this isn't saying much.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2014, 11:11:58 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
James young scored 25pt red claws-had some nice dunks a couple 3,s but air balled a couple badly over everything and a turnover off dribble -first quarter action

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2014, 11:14:51 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
James young scored 25pt red claws-had some nice dunks a couple 3,s but air balled a couple badly over everything and a turnover off dribble -first quarter action

Sounds like Bradley and Smart. Not a big deal on this team.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2014, 11:22:52 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
I think if the Red Claws are doing defensive rotations similar to Stevens' then Young will be ready sooner than later.

Well, being the 13th best defensive team with our personnel would suggest that he does.

I'm willing to believe we're better defensively than we look but there's no way we're the 13th best defense in the league.

Mike
well, a lot of this discussion on defensive ranking will rest upon what our criteria/standards are, wont it?

to start the conversation, right now the celtics surrender 104.4 points/game, which places them at 28th out of 30 teams. only the lakers and minnesota give up more points.

in fg% the celtics are in 16th place. what does this say?

what other measures are we to deploy and why? lets first decide on this before debating whether apples are indeed a superior fruit to those [dang]ed oranges.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2014, 11:27:35 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

Mike
well, a lot of this discussion on defensive ranking will rest upon what our criteria/standards are, wont it?

to start the conversation, right now the celtics surrender 104.4 points/game, which places them at 28th out of 30 teams. only the lakers and minnesota give up more points.

what other measures are we to deploy and why? lets first decide on this before debating whether apples are indeed a superior fruit to those [dang]ed oranges.  ;D
For starters, let's deploy a measure that doesn't bias the results against teams that play at a faster pace.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2014, 11:27:45 AM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
If he can develop d mindset to match physics gifts and mindset on o we are looking at klaus Thompson level player. If not he's Kyle korver. Which ain't bad.

« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2014, 11:50:08 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • bammokja

Mike

For starters, let's deploy a measure that doesn't bias the results against teams that play at a faster pace.
sure, but (1) why this as opposed to one that biases against SLOWER teams? this is a real question.

(2) i am not a stat wonk on basketball, so i really do welcome specific suggestion from you koz. you know this better than i do.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2014, 12:07:18 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
sure, but (1) why this as opposed to one that biases against SLOWER teams? this is a real question.

(2) i am not a stat wonk on basketball, so i really do welcome specific suggestion from you koz. you know this better than i do.
People typically look at points per 100 possessions to determine the strength of team defenses. Otherwise, teams that allow 95 points on 90 scoring opportunities will invariably grade better than teams that allow 100 points on 100 opportunities -- which doesn't make much sense.

« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2014, 12:17:35 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
If he can develop d mindset to match physics gifts and mindset on o we are looking at klaus Thompson level player. If not he's Kyle korver. Which ain't bad.

Wow! Auto correct fail

« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2014, 12:22:44 PM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85

The metric used is points allowed per possession. Of course, the difference between the 13th and the 23rd team under this metric is pretty much identical to the difference between the first and the fourth team, so this isn't saying much.

That is a strange way of explaining away the legitimacy of DRtg.

« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2014, 01:01:01 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

This is not explaining away the legitimacy of DRtg, just indicating that the teams in that part of the rankings are pretty close together. Which is something you always need to be aware of when you're looking at ordinals.

« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2014, 01:14:55 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • bammokja

Wow! Auto correct fail
are you sure?  ;D
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2014, 01:18:25 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • bammokja

This is not explaining away the legitimacy of DRtg, just indicating that the teams in that part of the rankings are pretty close together. Which is something you always need to be aware of when you're looking at ordinals.
koz, and others here, let me put this to you this way....

how would you assess a team's defensive prowness? what metrics would you trot out, and what do they show that is so important? i ask this so i can learn more.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2014, 01:45:12 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

koz, and others here, let me put this to you this way....

how would you assess a team's defensive prowness? what metrics would you trot out, and what do they show that is so important? i ask this so i can learn more.
I don't know where you got the idea that I don't like the idea of using DRtg. People just need to realize the big picture -- which is that we're part of a large cluster of very similar teams that grade out in the average to below average segment -- even though we seem a hair out of the top 10 with that 13th position, it's almost easier to slide into the bottom 10 than it is to climb into the top 10.

« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2014, 01:46:19 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
just because of subject title-james young left his feet and twice turned it over with nobody to pass too-left his feet and shooter leaned in ,he got away with a no call----