Author Topic: Rondo missed both free throws in clutch again  (Read 17173 times)

Re: Rondo missed both free throws in clutch again
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2014, 11:04:52 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Rondo may have missed the free throws, but the Mavs won.  I warched, it was a highly entertaining
Game as opposed to the Celtics (MY Celtics) who are virtually unwatchable now.  Thanks, Danny.  :'(
let me try to cheer you up a bit.  :D

right at this very moment brooklyn has a 13-16 record, are conducting a fire sale of their three stars, the owner is incompetent, they are trying to sell the team (so NO large commitments for new stars are likely), their salary situation is awful, and even if the stars stay they are aging ungracefully and often injured.

brooklyn has all the makings of being a possible p--- poor team for the next 3-4 years.

now the reason for christmas cheer....

the celtics have the rights to brooklyn nets draft picks in 2016, 2017 (swap), and 2018. i honestly believe the nets will be stuffing the celtics draft stocking very well for years to come.

ho, ho, ho...and a happy new year too.  ;D

Yeah .....praying they sell Joe and FreeWill ....

I think Plumlee is the player tho I would like on the Celtics

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2014, 11:23:45 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
Rondo may have missed the free throws, but the Mavs won.  I warched, it was a highly entertaining
Game as opposed to the Celtics (MY Celtics) who are virtually unwatchable now.  Thanks, Danny.  :'(

right at this very moment brooklyn has a 13-16 record, are conducting a fire sale of their three stars, the owner is incompetent, they are trying to sell the team (so NO large commitments for new stars are likely), their salary situation is awful, and even if the stars stay they are aging ungracefully and often injured.

brooklyn has all the makings of being a possible p--- poor team for the next 3-4 years.

the celtics have the rights to brooklyn nets draft picks in 2016, 2017 (swap), and 2018. i honestly believe the nets will be stuffing the celtics draft stocking very well for years to come.

consider me the pessimist that thinks they'll find a way to shed salary and reload.  Theyll still be incompetent, but unfortunately stupid teams can still make the playoffs in the East, especially if theyre willing to spend some money.....and I dont think the Russian is in a hurry to sell.

I think we'll get a late lottery pick or two, but i dont think we're gonna end up with these top 5 picks a lot of folks are fantasizing about unless we get real lucky in the lottery.
Greg

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2014, 11:35:42 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
Hate that I'm contributing to a thread topic that I've begun to find annoying, but I think this is important to point out.

I'm not a huge fan of Rondo's game, think he's overrated, all that good stuff that is liable to start a war around these parts. But one of the arguments being put forth by the anti-Rondo camp -- we'll call them that for the purpose of brevity because I don't think it accurately describes their position -- is that Rondo's shooting hurts Dallas' spacing. This was certainly true in Boston where Rondo seemed to play unmotivated and would often stand around without the ball.

Zach Lowe mentioned this the other day on the BS Report which was linked on this forum. When Rondo is locked in he does a lot of off-ball stuff that compensates for his lack of shooting range. He makes sneaky back door cuts, works hard to position himself for the offensive board, etc., all things that force his defender to pay attention to him. Tonight late in the game Rondo lofted the ball up to Dirk at the top of the key and his defender immediately doubled Dirk. Rondo waltzed down the lane and parked it under the basket where he received a pass from Dirk and converted an uncontested bunny.

I think in due time the Mavs and Rondo will mesh very well. Rondo seems to be regaining his old self now that he's being challenged every night in a brutally tough West. It seems that with patience and hard work, the Mavs' offense will not suffer, but in fact thrive with Rondo, as many pro-Rondo fans on here predicted.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2014, 11:38:16 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
OMG! Rondo missed free throws! OMG! They only won by 5 points!

« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2014, 11:48:42 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

Did you just compare Deron Williams' nickname to Free Willy, lol?  TP either way, haha. ;D I don't get why you'd want Plumlee, though.  He's a terrible free throw shooter with no offensive game, and he's just awful at the line.  Am I missing something?

« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2014, 11:51:20 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
You forgot to mention 15 points, 6 rebounds, 7 assists and 2 steals.

Shhhhhh

What a slacker (sarcasm). ::) ;D

« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2014, 07:43:27 PM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76

Did you just compare Deron Williams' nickname to Free Willy, lol?  TP either way, haha. ;D I don't get why you'd want Plumlee, though.  He's a terrible free throw shooter with no offensive game, and he's just awful at the line.  Am I missing something?

Plumlee averaged 17 pts (68% FG), 10 boards, and 2 blocks filling in for Lopez.  Why would the C's want him?!?!?!? 
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2014, 07:51:50 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Teams will begin to foul him soon enough.

They should start that soon. I've been hearing it's imminent since 2009 or so.

« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2014, 08:40:04 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

What reason has a team had to hack Rondo in recent years? He hasn't played for anything of meaning. If the Mavs prove to be a threat, you're gonna see some hack-a-Rondo in the playoffs, considering it will essentially force Carlisle to remove him from the game.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2014, 08:44:47 PM »

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 221

What reason has a team had to hack Rondo in recent years? He hasn't played for anything of meaning. If the Mavs prove to be a threat, you're gonna see some hack-a-Rondo in the playoffs, considering it will essentially force Carlisle to remove him from the game.

Umm they had plenty to play for. The OP said since 2009, in that time frame 2010-Finals, 2011-playoffs, 2012-ECF, 2013-out with ACL. His free throw problem (which is worse now) is nothing new at all. I'm sure they'll figure it out.

« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2014, 08:51:09 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585

i agree for the most part, but this year so far at 31% hes shooting 25% worse than his previous career low.

he also has never played Gregg Poppovich in the playoffs before.
Greg

« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2014, 09:08:14 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

Umm they had plenty to play for. The OP said since 2009, in that time frame 2010-Finals, 2011-playoffs, 2012-ECF, 2013-out with ACL. His free throw problem (which is worse now) is nothing new at all. I'm sure they'll figure it out.

I said recent years, but even reaching that far back Doc had to limit Rondo in 4th Qs. Look, it's simple fact, if Rondo continues to shoot 30% from the line, he's going to be fouled a ton in the 2nd half of playoff games. What logical coach wouldn't do it, and why? If Rondo is a clear asset to other potions of the game (passing, rebounding) take him away via his uber-weakness, and force his coach to remove him. He's the worst FT shooter in the NBA.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2014, 09:18:06 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

I said recent years, but even reaching that far back Doc had to limit Rondo in 4th Qs. Look, it's simple fact, if Rondo continues to shoot 30% from the line, he's going to be fouled a ton in the 2nd half of playoff games. What logical coach wouldn't do it, and why? If Rondo is a clear asset to other potions of the game (passing, rebounding) take him away via his uber-weakness, and force his coach to remove him. He's the worst FT shooter in the NBA.

The funny thing is that I can't even remember ANY instance where an opposing coach played "Hack-A-Rondo" lol.....

I doubt they try that, now.

Better yet, why didn't LeBron James himself try it in the 2009 BOS-CLE series when Rondo couldn't be contained?

C'mon man...PLEASE say SOMETHING good about Rajon Rondo....I'll bake you a cake:

;D :)

« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2014, 09:23:15 PM »

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 221

That was recent years..last year he was out with ACL. He's always been a liability on F/T shooting and Doc worked around it. Carlisle will do the same.

« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2014, 10:27:11 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I said recent years, but even reaching that far back Doc had to limit Rondo in 4th Qs.

He didn't limit Rondo's minutes in 4th Qs. He used to have PP handle the ball late in games but that only went through 2009 or 2010.

Look, it's simple fact, if Rondo continues to shoot 30% from the line, he's going to be fouled a ton in the 2nd half of playoff games. What logical coach wouldn't do it, and why? If Rondo is a clear asset to other potions of the game (passing, rebounding) take him away via his uber-weakness, and force his coach to remove him. He's the worst FT shooter in the NBA.

Sure, but that's assuming that he'll continue to shoot 30% on fts. That's not overly likely.