Author Topic: Rondo settling in now  (Read 20416 times)

Re: Rondo settling in now
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2014, 01:27:40 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550
Did Rondo give a * in green?  ???

Effort levels are off the charts now.

Yes he did.  A 6'1" point guard doesn't pull down nearly 8 rebounds per game on a bad team if he doesn't give a *.  Rondo is playing a different role in Dallas than he did in Boston.  Rondo is the primary defensive guard in Dallas and shares the workload running their offense with Ellis.   

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2014, 01:37:48 AM »

Offline timobusa

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 284
  • Bleed Green, Die Green
I think Dallas is the perfect fit for him.
You got tons of players that can flat out shoot the ball.
And then you have Monte Ellis and Dirk Nowitzki who can create a shot when needed.
You have Tyson Chandler that can catch a lob anywhere around the rim.

Once he gets more acclimated he can average 9 - 12 assists per game, and his turnover percentage will be lower because they have multiple ball handlers as well, devin harris and jj barea.

I hate that he's not in green anymore, but I'm happy for him, I hope the Dallas fans treat him right and not persecute him every game.

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2014, 02:08:16 AM »

Offline inverselock

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 44

Yes he did.  A 6'1" point guard doesn't pull down nearly 8 rebounds per game on a bad team if he doesn't give a *.  Rondo is playing a different role in Dallas than he did in Boston.  Rondo is the primary defensive guard in Dallas and shares the workload running their offense with Ellis.   

We were in dire need of scoring.   Rondo flat out refused to shoot some games.

11, 15, 14, 17, 17 shots taken each game in Dallas.  Dallas needs scoring more than Boston?

I haven't seen this level of defense against Westbrook for years.

Night and day.

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2014, 02:45:19 AM »

Offline Blaze4G

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 6

11, 15, 14, 17, 17 shots taken each game in Dallas.  Dallas needs scoring more than Boston?

Night and day.
You seem to forget Rondo has a high basketball IQ. We were in need of scoring? We had no legit scoring threat, hence opponents defense did not slack off rondo. What does that mean? Well Rondo would have to take low percentage shots.

VS

In Dallas, the defense tries to double Parsons, dirk or monte, hence leaving Rondo wide open = Rondo shoots.

In conclusion

Rondo shoots when wide open (Wide open many times in Dallas)
Rondo passes when there is not a wide open shot for him.

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2014, 02:50:23 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

Night and day.
You seem to forget Rondo has a high basketball IQ. We were in need of scoring? We had no legit scoring threat, hence opponents defense did not slack off rondo. What does that mean? Well Rondo would have to take low percentage shots.

VS

In Dallas, the defense tries to double Parsons, dirk or monte, hence leaving Rondo wide open = Rondo shoots.

In conclusion

And those who actually watched the games saw Rondo pass up open shots and even layups over and over again.

Mike

« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2014, 03:00:21 AM »

Offline inverselock

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 44

Night and day.

VS

In conclusion

And those who actually watched the games saw Rondo pass up open shots and even layups over and over again.

Mike

Its not just the shooting. 

In Dallas he attacks the basket of the PnR.  8.8 drives/g,  4.5 Player points/drive, 10.2 Team points/drive.

In Boston he would dance in front of the PnR.  6.6 drives/g,  2.9 Player points/drive, 6.3 Team points/drive.

« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2014, 03:44:42 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

Night and day.

VS

In conclusion

Mike

Its not just the shooting. 

In Dallas he attacks the basket of the PnR.  8.8 drives/g,  4.5 Player points/drive, 10.2 Team points/drive.

In Boston he would dance in front of the PnR.  6.6 drives/g,  2.9 Player points/drive, 6.3 Team points/drive.

When you play with better players, you get better opportunities.  The Dallas outside shooting means the paint is a lot less congested.  Chandler is a much better PnR partner than any Boston big.  Rondo is still not drawing many fouls (6 fts in 5 games) and has still looked hesitant to shoot his jumper at times.  Also the drive numbers may be skewed some by the Lakers game.  The Lakers interior defense was non-existent so Rondo and Ellis were able to drive at will. 

« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2014, 08:40:57 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
I did not see the Dallas game but based on the Box Score and the comments, it appears that Rondo had a solid game against a good team for the first time.  The only part of any of his play in Dallas that is a surprise to me is the shot attempts.  Why is he taking 17 shots on a team that needs his scoring less when the Celtics couldn't get him to take 5 shots a game?

I would think that part of it could be that he is actually listening to the coach (I assume Stevens was telling him to shoot).  Maybe a new voice and a veteran coach is enough that he is making an effort to be more coachable.  He is 32 for 74 in 5 games (43.2%).  I think Stevens would have taken that.  I guess he gets more space on Dallas but in Boston, he was passing up wide open shot regularly.

« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2014, 10:24:02 AM »

Offline alley oop

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30

(I assume Stevens was telling him to shoot).  Maybe a new voice and a veteran coach is enough that he is making an effort to be more coachable.  He is 32 for 74 in 5 games (43.2%).  I think Stevens would have taken that.  I guess he gets more space on Dallas but in Boston, he was passing up wide open shot regularly.

When did Stevens say or leave the impression that Rondo wasn't shooting enough?

« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2014, 12:59:19 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867

(I assume Stevens was telling him to shoot).  Maybe a new voice and a veteran coach is enough that he is making an effort to be more coachable.  He is 32 for 74 in 5 games (43.2%).  I think Stevens would have taken that.  I guess he gets more space on Dallas but in Boston, he was passing up wide open shot regularly.

That is why I said assume because I don't know what Stevens was telling him but I think that is pretty standard counter move to a defense sagging off you and daring you to shoot.  I don't think Stevens was necessarily looking for Rondo to take 17 shots but everything about Steven's approach is based on ball movement and balanced scoring.

I wonder if the trade was a kind of wake up call for Rondo.  Not so much that he was traded as I think he got to the point that he wanted to be traded, but he probably thought teams would offer close to what they did for Love.  Rondo's and/or his agent got a pretty good gauge of his market value based on this trade and maybe it was a realization for him that he was valued less than he thought.

Assists and rebounds aren't going to get Rondo a max contract so now he is trying to show he can score too.  In that scenario, Carlisle may not be telling him to take 17 shots either, so maybe this has nothing to do with listening to his new coach.

« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2014, 01:42:54 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

That is why I said assume because I don't know what Stevens was telling him but I think that is pretty standard counter move to a defense sagging off you and daring you to shoot.  I don't think Stevens was necessarily looking for Rondo to take 17 shots but everything about Steven's approach is based on ball movement and balanced scoring.

I wonder if the trade was a kind of wake up call for Rondo.  Not so much that he was traded as I think he got to the point that he wanted to be traded, but he probably thought teams would offer close to what they did for Love.  Rondo's and/or his agent got a pretty good gauge of his market value based on this trade and maybe it was a realization for him that he was valued less than he thought.

Assists and rebounds aren't going to get Rondo a max contract so now he is trying to show he can score too.  In that scenario, Carlisle may not be telling him to take 17 shots either, so maybe this has nothing to do with listening to his new coach.

Rondo is still looking to pass first in Dallas.  He has still hesitated on taking his jumper sometimes.  Carlisle has already said that Rondo is just going to have to take his shot when he was open.  When you are playing with a bunch of all-stars versus a bunch of mediocre players, you're just going to get better opportunities. 

There was a big play in the 4th against OKC where Rondo got the ball to Dirk at the top of the key.  Rondo then cut through the lane.  Rather than following Rondo, Westbrook hesitated because he was concerned about helping out on Dirk.  This allowed Dirk to make an easy pass to Rondo for the layup.  In Boston that scenario would never have happened because there is no one on Boston that justifies a double team.   

« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2014, 03:30:21 PM »

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER
Rondo will probably always be the way he is.
Frustrating. Sensational.
But he is a difference maker.
The larger the spotlight, the greater his play.
And now he's got Dirk.
Bet you Carlisle doesn't text him everyday, either! :D
"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-

« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2014, 03:50:29 PM »

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 221

Rondo is still looking to pass first in Dallas.  He has still hesitated on taking his jumper sometimes.  Carlisle has already said that Rondo is just going to have to take his shot when he was open.  When you are playing with a bunch of all-stars versus a bunch of mediocre players, you're just going to get better opportunities. 

There was a big play in the 4th against OKC where Rondo got the ball to Dirk at the top of the key.  Rondo then cut through the lane.  Rather than following Rondo, Westbrook hesitated because he was concerned about helping out on Dirk.  This allowed Dirk to make an easy pass to Rondo for the layup.  In Boston that scenario would never have happened because there is no one on Boston that justifies a double team.

Dirk, Coach Carlisle, and Parsons pretty much said the same thing. They want him to be aggressive and shoot when he gets those opportunities because he'll get them a lot. 

« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2014, 03:58:33 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Good :).

I wish Rondo, Dirk, Tyson and Co. well. May they gave the Lakers fits and go far in the playoffs.

I had DAL as my dark horse team even before the Trade, and now? I like them even more.

« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2014, 04:23:51 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
Good :).

I wish Rondo, Dirk, Tyson and Co. well. May they gave the Lakers fits and go far in the playoffs.

I had DAL as my dark horse team even before the Trade, and now? I like them even more.

They are going to need to acquire a defensive big to backup Chandler before I'd consider them a true contender this year.