Author Topic: Hornets and Celtics trade idea- Stephenson to Celtics  (Read 7870 times)

Re: Hornets and Celtics trade idea- Stephenson to Celtics
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2014, 08:43:03 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I think there are just too many parts in the trade tryboy16f. Also I'm with Flex that Vonleh is not a SF.

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2014, 08:46:32 PM »

Offline redbirdsfan7

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
Just as a note: The Celtics have a ridiculous number of draft picks. People say not all their picks have much value, but in creating these hypothetical trades, I've realized how little draft picks many teams have, if any. Boston is in a good position to make moves.

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2014, 08:55:29 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Problem with Stephenson (well one of them) is he a play maker and needs to be paired with a PG that can shoot. We of course don't have one.

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2014, 08:56:12 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
To Hornets:   Jeff Green, AB , Sullinger, Turner , 1st round pick - playoff run
To Celtics:  Stephenson, Vonleh, Cody Zeller, Marvin Williams - rebuild

at the trade deadline

To Knicks: Nelson, Wright, Thornton
To Celtics: Shumpert, Bargnani (waived)

Celtics lineup after trade

C - Tyler Zeller
PG - KO
SF - Vonleh
SG - Stephenson
PG - Smart

Bench
C- Cody Zeller
PF - Bass (sign to a 2 year extension at 10 million dollars)
SF - Marvin Williams/Crowder
SG - Young
PG - Shumpert/Pressey
horrid trade.

you're giving up the best player in Green (no, it's not Stephenson), 2 other starters, our 6th man AND a 1st rounder
FOR
an significantly underperforming hothead at SG where we have a backlog, the inferior Zeller who's not producing on a team that desperately needs a good backup for Big Al, , a rookie that Danny passed on who's yet another PF (not a SF) and a journeyman in Marvin Williams.

the Knicks trade is horrid as well.  you're giving up a serviceable backup PG, best shooter we have in Thornton and Wright who's a very solid bench big man
FOR
Shumpert who's not as good as people thought he'd be a couple of years ago and the league pariah Bargnani who you're waiving leaving us trading 3 quality rotation players for one who's arguably worse than 2 of the players we're sending them

hideous.

« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2014, 09:02:40 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Vonleh at SF and keeping Bass is where this goes horribly wrong.

Vonleh played sf at hs. In college he played out of position(center) for the pathetic Indiana team.

He is a pf/sf in the mold of Jamal Mashburn.
Vonleh got bigger and lost some mobility. He is a PF.

Some mobility. But he is light on his feet on the defensive end able to guard sf's.  He also has the strength and length to cause mismatches. 

We can nitpick if he can play sf but the bottom line is, i think this is a decent trade for the Celts.   Just add young talent and move fwd , instead of worrying about what to do with Green. Chances are he is walking away for next season. 

« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2014, 09:44:57 PM »

Offline bmac934

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 7

Vonleh played sf at hs. In college he played out of position(center) for the pathetic Indiana team.

Some mobility. But he is light on his feet on the defensive end able to guard sf's.  He also has the strength and length to cause mismatches. 

We can nitpick if he can play sf but the bottom line is, i think this is a decent trade for the Celts.   Just add young talent and move fwd , instead of worrying about what to do with Green. Chances are he is walking away for next season.

I thought the consensus between everybody in this forum page was that we were giving up WAY too much?  And by way too much I mean pretty much our entire core.  I would give up ET and JG at most to receive Lance and Noah.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 09:50:55 PM by bmac934 »

« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2014, 09:54:09 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

I thought the consensus between everybody in this forum page was that we were giving up WAY too much?  And by way too much I mean pretty much our entire core.

A good chance Green is leaving after this season.  Sullinger does not really fit well/has been inconsisten under CBS system.  Turner is not a long term 

Not really our "core" for the future.   

« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2014, 09:56:07 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
why would we want Lance. I just don't get it.

« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2014, 10:03:50 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

I guess you already forgot that he was a key reason why Indiana got to the ECF last season.  It was George and Stephenson that had to do alot of the heavy lifting. 

« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2014, 10:12:55 PM »

Offline bmac934

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 7

I thought the consensus between everybody in this forum page was that we were giving up WAY too much?  And by way too much I mean pretty much our entire core.

A good chance Green is leaving after this season.  Sullinger does not really fit well/has been inconsisten under CBS system.  Turner is not a long term 

Not really our "core" for the future.

Yea AB & Sully are both part of our "core" for the future.  Your lets just switch teams trade proposal is unrealistic in the first place.  But then you have us getting the by far lower end of the deal player wise.  On top of that you then have us giving up a first round pick.
And who cares JG might leave?  I would rather JG walk away for free then overpay for Lance Stephenson who is going to be a huge headache on a rebuilding team.
I stand by my previous opinion.  The only two players I want in your proposal are Noah and Lance.  And the only way I want to trade for them is to cash out on JG and ET (which we both agree are not long term answers or building blocks).  Nothing more.

PS - I am also a huge lance supporter.  When we had Rajon I was the biggest advocate to get him in Boston.  It just doesnt make sense for a full on rebuilding team.  He's gonna be at his worse when were losing for lottery balls.  When hes at his worse he is toxic to a young and impressionable team.  I agree he is worth the gamble.  But not if we are giving up as much as you think we should.  Even if we were a contending team I would still say you have us giving up entirely too much.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 10:30:26 PM by bmac934 »

« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2014, 10:37:54 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Yea AB & Sully are both part of our "core" for the future. 

Not if we want to win, AB maybe but no way a tweener PF, that can't defend will be part of the core.  I seriously doubt if we have 1-2 players on that core on the team now.

Why would we want Stephenson, he has not done well this year.

« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2014, 11:02:49 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Yea AB & Sully are both part of our "core" for the future. 

Not if we want to win, AB maybe but no way a tweener PF, that can't defend will be part of the core.  I seriously doubt if we have 1-2 players on that core on the team now.

Why would we want Stephenson, he has not done well this year.

Stephenson is a unique player for the good and the bad.  When he was with the pacers it was a perfect situation for him. He was the teams "pg" but was playing the sg position. While you got a guy like George Hill who is an undersized SG playing the pg position. 

With the Hornets, Kemba Walker pounds the ball as long as Rondo does.  He has been missing shots badly these days going 4-16 etc.  A guy like Stephenson is prob upset about this but also might not be able to speak out as this is Kemba and Al's team.

With the Celts if he paired with AB or even Smart, it could be a really good backcourt pairing.  Let Stephenson go to work being the main ball handler. He is underrated directing the offense. Good thing is that he is not a ball pounder either

I agree that AB nor Sully are the "core" moving fwd.  KO, Zeller, Smart to me are the "core" or at least, the least likeliest players to be traded (unless we get overpaid). They work well under CBS system. 

« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2014, 01:05:56 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
I'd like to take a chance on Stephenson but I doubt he'd be a good fit on this Celtics team.  A young inexperienced coach, no veteran leadership and lots of losing isn't a good combination for bringing out the best in Stephenson.   

« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2014, 01:28:16 AM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349

I guess you already forgot that he was a key reason why Indiana got to the ECF last season.  It was George and Stephenson that had to do alot of the heavy lifting.

That was also last year... in what was one of the worst Eastern Conferences since Jason Kidd's Nets plowed trough the East with seemingly no competition. This year there is Toronto, Chicago, Washington, Cleveland, and even Miami who can compete. Last year's Pacer team was a mirage.

Stephenson is not a player I would touch with a ten foot pole. And the hypotheticals being thrown out there are more fantasy league trades than real ones.

Why would the Knicks want to do that trade? They are tanking and are doing just fine with their roster as is. The Knicks are essentially acquiring three guys they won't go after in the offseason for a guy they can extend a qualifying offer to?

Also, what's the benefit of getting Vonleh? So we can wait another two years for him to get to Sully's level? Yes, I know they are different players. But Vonleh has a long way to go before even becoming a reliable NBA player. I think if we wanted him badly we would have drafted him last year.

We give up way too much and don't receive anything of any substantial "worth" in return. Pass.

« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2014, 07:06:10 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
To Hornets:   Jeff Green, AB , Sullinger, Turner , 1st round pick - playoff run
To Celtics:  Stephenson, Vonleh, Cody Zeller, Marvin Williams - rebuild

at the trade deadline

To Knicks: Nelson, Wright, Thornton
To Celtics: Shumpert, Bargnani (waived)

Celtics lineup after trade

C - Tyler Zeller
PG - KO
SF - Vonleh
SG - Stephenson
PG - Smart

Bench
C- Cody Zeller
PF - Bass (sign to a 2 year extension at 10 million dollars)
SF - Marvin Williams/Crowder
SG - Young
PG - Shumpert/Pressey

So many issues here.  First off Vonleh is not a SF at all, have you ever seen him play?    Second of all both trades are terrible for us.   We give up too much and get 50 cents (if that) on the dollar value back.  There's a reason why Stephenson can't be given away right now and you don't put him on a rebuilding team.  He would poison the younger players with his attitude.  There's no way Bass or any other FA would sign or resign with you since you've now made a 20 win team with no starting caliber SF.