Author Topic: I say why not go after Deron/Lopez: 3 team trade idea  (Read 5585 times)

Re: I say why not go after Deron/Lopez: 3 team trade idea
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2014, 08:50:59 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Few things could make me stop following the C's, but a trade like this just might do it.  Picking up two of the worst contracts in basketball, and for what, the possibility to go 40-42 and get thrashed in the first round of the playoffs?  To have over 70mill wrapped in a rapidly declining PG who is over the age of 30 and a big with a troubling injury history? I'll pass.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 08:56:30 PM by freshinthehouse »

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2014, 08:54:39 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Those guys are garbage. Williams is done. Lopez is a walking injury.

Ditto.  Williams is a coach-killer and the antithesis of what the Celtics are all about, and Lopez is far too slow in general and laterally, imo, to be anything more than a defensive liability for the rest of his career, never mind his injury problems.  Plus, their contracts suck.  Pass.

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2014, 08:57:20 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182

Ditto.  Williams is a coach-killer and the antithesis of what the Celtics are all about, and Lopez is far too slow in general and laterally, imo, to be anything more than a defensive liability for the rest of his career, never mind his injury problems.  Plus, their contracts suck.  Pass.

I third this! Much rather have Robin Lopez than either of these turds.

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2014, 09:46:30 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
Regardless of whether or not DWill and Lopez can help us long term or not, I would refuse to make any trade that may help the Nets in the next few years and in turn hurt the draft picks we own. No way.

How does trading their two best players help the Nets?

Gives them flexibility so in 2016 they could grab of decent talent and squeak into the playoffs in 2016 and kill our chances of getting a good pick. Hurts the 2017/18 picks for us to use or in trade.

Plus why get decent enough the next two years to just make the playoffs and not be able to contend. Better off getting some more lotto picks to turn around for some nice, younger talent.

I second this. Lopez and Williams' contracts run just long enough to keep them in cap H-E-double-bendy-straws until we get their pick. From there (2016), they both feasibly leave, no FA's come due to perennial win decline, and they have no draft pick to infuse young talent. If we play our cards right and don't facilitate any Lopez or Williams deal (as tempting as a trade exception or second rounder may be for DA), we could get three awesome picks.

« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2014, 09:46:46 PM »

Offline celts10

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
If it was the D-Will of three or four years ago, I'd bring him here in a heartbeat.

« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2014, 12:12:08 AM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
Regardless of whether or not DWill and Lopez can help us long term or not, I would refuse to make any trade that may help the Nets in the next few years and in turn hurt the draft picks we own. No way.

How does trading their two best players help the Nets?

Those two have been awful for the past few years and are underachieving bench players right now for them. They play no defense and their offense has regressed, which is why they come off the bench and play limited minutes. With their contracts they are holding up the Nets cap space for the next few years, preventing them from signing players that can actually help them. Let them suffer in their misery from those contracts, they suck as constructed, don't give them a 'get out of jail free' card and kill the value of our picks.

Lopez still averages 14pts and 1.5 blocks per game.  He's got a huge contract and is hurt most of the time, but what you said is not entirely true. 
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2014, 03:52:19 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Honestly, what do we have to lose?

Okay, so our cap space gets shot

Does that really mean anything:

I remember reading Deron is friends with Dwight.
Maybe that leads Dwight to us in 2017.

Celts get: DWill/Lopez
Thunder get: J Green/Sully/Thornton
Nets get: Jeremy Lamb/Mitch McGary/G Wallace/Perk

DWill/Smart
Bradley
Turner/Crowder
Olynyk/Bass
Lopez/Zeller/Wright

That doesn't look bad to me.
You already answered the question yourself (bold parts). Williams takes ca 20m a year (until 2016-17) and Lopez 15m (until 2015-16). Neither of them is worth the money.
If we had a contender and wanted to gamble for a championship, it could be a different story (although I think there are better players to gamble on). But as previous posters suggested, for a rebuilding team these are two terrible contracts to pick up. 
Moreover, Ainge just let RR walk away, you think he is going to chase after DWilliams? Everything suggests we are clearing up salary cap space for the 2016 Free Agency.

« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2014, 03:59:25 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald

I third this! Much rather have Robin Lopez than either of these turds.
This makes four of us!

« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2014, 04:00:16 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I guess the only reason I thought it made sense is that it would've been a bold risk.

Maybe these two lure another player here and play really well here in Boston.

I just feel our team needs a HUGE shake-up and I really don't want to have to watch another game like the one we saw Saturday.

But as most have pointed out, maybe Williams and Lopez are those guys.

Just can't think of anyone else available

« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2014, 04:02:46 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
I guess the only reason I thought it made sense is that it would've been a bold risk.

I just feel our team needs a HUGE shake-up and I really don't want to have to watch another game like the one we saw Saturday.

Overpaying mediocre players is the worst way to try to build a contender. The Nets are the living proof of this.

« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2014, 04:30:28 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567

In short, you're desperate so you want to make any deal in order to feel like the team is improving. That's usually a bad way to run a team.

Patience is what is needed right now.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2014, 04:33:41 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
The worst part is giving the Nets freedom to improve over the next 3 years when we own all of their draft picks.  Ainge fleeced them -- let's at least reap the benefits before we let them off the hook.

« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2014, 06:40:02 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Patience is what is needed right now.

TP+.  Patience is key.  As I'm sure everyone's dad told them at some point in time, if you're going to do a job, you may as well do it right.