Poll

Would you offer Jimmy Butler a max contract this offseason?

Heck yes, he will propel us into the offseason
32 (53.3%)
Would love to see him on the team, but he is not a max player
16 (26.7%)
No, this is typical contract year performance. He will sink to mediocraty next year
11 (18.3%)
Absolutely not, we have Young who is a younger player already on the roster
1 (1.7%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Author Topic: Max offer Jimmy Butler?  (Read 17177 times)

Re: Max offer Jimmy Butler?
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2014, 11:45:31 AM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
He is the second best player on that team right now. They will move whoever they have to in order to clear space so they can match any offer sheet.

Bulls tried to extend him for something like 44M/4 Yr and he rejected them. They have 61 million on the books for next year for 7 players. Noah is a FA next summer - and he will want more than $13M he is currently making...

You can't keep 3 max players in today's NBA.. even Miami couldn't do it...

As for other teams - I guess he will have other offers, but I think we can make a pretty good pitch. We are a big market (not LA / NY but he is not going to either one of those), have a decent core and lots of draft picks. If we could max him out and S&T for a center (bradly + picks + trash for Hibbert?) we could have be a contender in the East with JB on board...

It'll be easy for them to clear salary because they don't have any bad contracts on the books. For example, it'd be easy for them to find a taker for Taj Gibson whose contract is only 2yrs/18 this offseason. Also, with the salary cap going up they can afford to pay Noah in 2016.

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2014, 12:18:40 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
Yes. I'm very hopeful we can complete a sign & trade with them.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2014, 12:24:04 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Yes.

At worst, we're paying top dollar to one of the best perimeter defenders in the league. At best, we're paying top dollar to a guy who's a consistent 3PT shot away from being an elite player.

Offer him the max.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2014, 12:32:28 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
If we don't offer him the max I'll be upset. I doubt he well take our max since it's unlikely we are the only team making an offer.

I'm such a big fan I would offer him the max then send the bulls two firsts and Bradley, to convince them not to match.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2014, 01:11:51 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Like to have him but we don't have a Rose, Gasol, Noah, Gibson etc to help him out and that's why he putting up good numbers..so no to a max contract
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2014, 02:10:27 PM »

Offline e4sym0de

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 12
I donīt think we can entice any top free agents to come to Boston with the current roster

« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2014, 04:15:44 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
I donīt think we can entice any top free agents to come to Boston with the current roster
Bingo!!! I give u ur first TP for being correct
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2014, 04:19:20 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I think so.

He might want to BE THE MAN .....like Harden.....gEt his own team and glory ......with Bulls he has to share way to much to see how good he actually is.

« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2014, 05:01:16 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

It doesnt mean we cant try. Youre right, its hard to atttact FA especially now, but with the cap space that we will clear up, I would be absolutely upset if Ainge doesnt even place a max offer to Jimmy Butler.

He may not come to us, but it better be not for lack of trying.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2014, 05:37:51 PM »

Offline OhioGreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 55
Would really like to see DA offer team with first pick (prob Philly) two firsts and two seconds this year, and two firsts and two seconds next year, plus Sully!  Then take your choice of Okafor or Towns! Philly, with Noel an Embid, doesn't need ANOTHER Center/big man.  That would get us our Center of the future! 
JB would be great, but just don't see Chi letting him go!

« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2014, 06:22:38 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
He is the second best player on that team right now. They will move whoever they have to in order to clear space so they can match any offer sheet.

Bulls tried to extend him for something like 44M/4 Yr and he rejected them. They have 61 million on the books for next year for 7 players. Noah is a FA next summer - and he will want more than $13M he is currently making...

As for other teams - I guess he will have other offers, but I think we can make a pretty good pitch. We are a big market (not LA / NY but he is not going to either one of those), have a decent core and lots of draft picks. If we could max him out and S&T for a center (bradly + picks + trash for Hibbert?) we could have be a contender in the East with JB on board...

Of course you can keep 3 max players in today's NBA.  I'm guessing you've heard of this little [awesome] team called the  Boston Celtics (and obviously MIA was willing to pay LeBron if he wanted to stay, just as CLE is going to continue to pony up for their 3 maxes).  It just severely hurts your ability to put secondary talent around them (notice our players outside the Big 4).  And our guys were making 20+ million, not the ~15 million that Butler would receive for being in the league less than 6 years.

If the Bulls refuse to give him that much, their GM would be fired immediately.  I mean, look at Jimmy Butler and then look at Gordon Hayward.

It's absolutely ridiculous to insinuate Chicago will let him go for flexibility reasons, especially considering they have absolutely none as long as Rose's contract is around (and not even Kahn would be dumb enough to trade for him).

If anything (assuming CHI was worried about money), it would make the most sense for CHI to get some SERIOUS assets or simply expirings and firsts for Noah before he commands his 20mil, and then stick with Butler who is cheaper, younger, and a better player.

Also, I'm pretty sure Noah isn't a FA next summer, he resigned more recently than that.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2014, 06:25:15 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

Of course you can keep 3 max players in today's NBA.  I'm guessing you've heard of the Boston Celtics (and obviously MIA was willing to pay LeBron if he wanted to stay, just as CLE is going to continue to pony up for their 3 maxes).  It just severely hurts your ability to put secondary talent around them (notice our players outside the Big 4).  And our guys were making 20+ million, not the ~15 million that Butler would receive for being in the league less than 6 years.

If the Bulls refuse to give him that much, their GM would be fired immediately.  I mean, look at Jimmy Butler and then look at Gordon Hayward.

It's absolutely ridiculous to insinuate Chicago will let him go for flexibility reasons, especially considering they have absolutely none as long as Rose's contract is around (and not even Kahn would be dumb enough to trade for him).

If anything (assuming CHI was worried about money), it would make the most sense for CHI to get some SERIOUS assets or simply expirings and firsts for Noah before he commands his 20mil, and then stick with Butler who is cheaper, younger, and a better player.

Also, I'm pretty sure Noah isn't a FA next summer, he resigned more recently than that.

The cap rules have changed significantly since the KG era Celtics and the Lebron era Heat. It's much harder to get three max players than it used to be.

« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2014, 06:35:14 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

Of course you can keep 3 max players in today's NBA.  I'm guessing you've heard of the Boston Celtics (and obviously MIA was willing to pay LeBron if he wanted to stay, just as CLE is going to continue to pony up for their 3 maxes).  It just severely hurts your ability to put secondary talent around them (notice our players outside the Big 4).  And our guys were making 20+ million, not the ~15 million that Butler would receive for being in the league less than 6 years.

The cap rules have changed significantly since the KG era Celtics and the Lebron era Heat. It's much harder to get three max players than it used to be.

It's really not that hard to get 3 max in Chicago.  All they have to do is put a little bit of ink at the bottom of some paper.

It's extremely hard to sign 3 max players in FA.  It's much easier when trades are involved, or when players blow up and get the max with Bird Rights.

Also, I'm confused as to how the cap rules changed in a way that it makes it harder to get 3 max players, especially for large markets (read one of the biggest markets in league for CHI).  And even then, new rules have made things harder, but again it hurts your secondary talent, not the primary, (AKA, the important type) and only by 2 million (from 5mil to 3mil, which obviously wouldn't be a big deal for CHI if all they cared about was saving money like the poster says).
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2014, 09:48:45 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
Max to Jimmy Butler, but not Rondo?

« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2014, 10:39:37 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
Max to Jimmy Butler, but not Rondo?

Yes.

The Butler max is also much smaller than the Rondo max.

Great words from a great man