Poll

Would you offer Jimmy Butler a max contract this offseason?

Heck yes, he will propel us into the offseason
32 (53.3%)
Would love to see him on the team, but he is not a max player
16 (26.7%)
No, this is typical contract year performance. He will sink to mediocraty next year
11 (18.3%)
Absolutely not, we have Young who is a younger player already on the roster
1 (1.7%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Author Topic: Max offer Jimmy Butler?  (Read 17217 times)

Max offer Jimmy Butler?
« on: December 28, 2014, 03:58:21 AM »

Offline Joe Green

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 25
Another game. Another stellar performance by JB. If Chicago don't max him out (and I don't see how they can afford to) someone is going to offer him max. He is one of the best stoppers in the league - always playing the top scorer on the other side, has become a reliable threat on offense, and is an Ironman to boot.

He is currently playing an insane 40 MPG, posting a healthy 22PPG, 6 rebs and about 50% from the field. He is respectable from 3 (33%) but his mid range is where he thrives.

He is like the Tim Duncan of SG...

With his size (6"7) he can also play SF on a small lineup. Assuming we loose JG, who could we get who is better?

Re: Max offer Jimmy Butler?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2014, 04:07:14 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
His agent is going to have a stack of max contract offers to go over with Jimmy.  I sure expect/hope ours is one of them.  We've just gotta hope he chooses ours, but I'm not so sure that we'll have the most enticing situation to offer.  I imagine Sacramento will try hard to move McLemore + one of Landry/Thompson to open up cap space to sign Butler which would be a very enticing situation.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2014, 05:25:11 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
I imagine Chicago's going to give them a max offer. Gibson will likely be sold off for it, but they have a better backup PF waiting in the wings for cheaper in Mirotic.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2014, 05:26:01 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
Yes, Celtics should offer Butler a max.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2014, 05:27:18 AM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
I can't see CHI letting him go.

Another poster said this a few days ago, but, I can't see Thibs developing this guy so closely and playing him so much and letting him walk.

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2014, 07:01:20 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Why would he come to Boston?  Unless ainge makes many moves to improve team we will not sign  a top player unless they have character issues, injury etc .

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2014, 08:04:15 AM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
He is the second best player on that team right now. They will move whoever they have to in order to clear space so they can match any offer sheet.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2014, 08:10:18 AM »

Offline Joe Green

• Brad Stevens
He is the second best player on that team right now. They will move whoever they have to in order to clear space so they can match any offer sheet.

Bulls tried to extend him for something like 44M/4 Yr and he rejected them. They have 61 million on the books for next year for 7 players. Noah is a FA next summer - and he will want more than $13M he is currently making...

You can't keep 3 max players in today's NBA.. even Miami couldn't do it...

As for other teams - I guess he will have other offers, but I think we can make a pretty good pitch. We are a big market (not LA / NY but he is not going to either one of those), have a decent core and lots of draft picks. If we could max him out and S&T for a center (bradly + picks + trash for Hibbert?) we could have be a contender in the East with JB on board...

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2014, 09:38:44 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
There must be teams out there that can immediately contend after signing Butler. Those teams will be most enticing to him... (not us :P)

Have any other destinations for him been discussed (here or elsewhere)? I've been salivating over this man for years now.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 10:03:38 AM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2014, 10:01:09 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Big upgrade from Green.  Better passer, better rebounder, better defender.  Probably a better scorer.  And younger.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2014, 10:20:57 AM »

Offline Joe Green

• Brad Stevens
There must be teams out there that can immediately contend after signing Butler. Those teams will be most enticing to him... (not us :P)

Have any other destinations for him been discussed (here or elsewhere)? I've been salivating over this man for years now.

First off, there will be about 10 teams with the ability to max out players this summer - and that is assuming none of them extend any of their current expiring contracts.

2nd, there will be quite a few big fish in the pond like Gaso, Dragic, Monroe, Kawahi and a team can't offer 2 max contracts at the same time...

Lastly - if the bulls are going to lose him, we are one of a few teams that can offer a S&T to give him a bigger payday - for example package Bradly + picks. That way Chicago keeps competitive and we get our max player.

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2014, 10:34:16 AM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
Probably... though I still cringe over the fact that this guy and Parsons were picked after JJJ...

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2014, 10:58:59 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
Probably... though I still cringe over the fact that this guy and Parsons were picked after JJJ...
so do 20 some odd GMs in the nba. sometimes it happens. it also means that late draft picks for the celtics are not without hope of redemption.  :D

EDIT: not to sidetrack the thread, but i did some research on the pre-draft analysis on butler. i can see how people passed over him. from nbadraft:

Strengths: A well-rounded forward with great qualities for a future role-player ... Solid athlete with nice overall quickness ...

Weaknesses: Good all-around player, but lacks any one great skill... Fits the "jack of all trades, master of none" mold ... Not a stand-out athlete ...

he was not viewed as a "high ceiling" guy. nothing about his game prior to his break out showed he would be this good. his first two years in the nba were pretty forgettable stat wise, and, he was a senior.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 11:06:51 AM by hwangjini_1 »
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2014, 11:25:52 AM »

Offline Joe Green

• Brad Stevens
so do 20 some odd GMs in the nba. sometimes it happens. it also means that late draft picks for the celtics are not without hope of redemption.  :D

EDIT: not to sidetrack the thread, but i did some research on the pre-draft analysis on butler. i can see how people passed over him. from nbadraft:

Strengths: A well-rounded forward with great qualities for a future role-player ... Solid athlete with nice overall quickness ...

Weaknesses: Good all-around player, but lacks any one great skill... Fits the "jack of all trades, master of none" mold ... Not a stand-out athlete ...

he was not viewed as a "high ceiling" guy. nothing about his game prior to his break out showed he would be this good. his first two years in the nba were pretty forgettable stat wise, and, he was a senior.

Agree - Hindsight is 20/20 Deandre Jordan was picked in the 2nd round. Arenas late second. Not to mention the Spurs drafting Parker, Ginobilli and Leonard (2 1/2 HOF players) after a bunch of bums were drafted ahead of them...

As for JB - To call him a jack of all trades is unfair. He is a top 5 perimeter defender, a deadly midrange shooter (think Tim Duncan) and a guy who plays 40 minutes a game without injuries  - which many have stated is a skill (how good is DRose sitting on the bench?). What SG would you want on your team ahead of JB? Thompson maybe? Harden? That's it....

If he can keep his current level (not to mention improve) he is MAXXXXX square (:

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2014, 11:32:12 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
More likey it may mean we can get gibson for just a protected second rounder if things break right and chicago desperately needs to save money using the TPE.