Author Topic: Smart is not a point guard  (Read 28302 times)

Re: Smart is not a point guard
« Reply #90 on: December 28, 2014, 04:12:30 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
I wish Brad would start Turner and Smart together.

I think Bradley is a bust.

« Reply #91 on: December 28, 2014, 04:21:21 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Well...it's about 2-3 years too early to,say anything for sure.  He is still a very young player . 

He may become a great offensive player , he may bust ...... I don't think well know for a few years for sure.

I hope they keep him a few years to find out .   

He is too good already ,not to have a career.

Patience people

« Reply #92 on: December 28, 2014, 04:27:21 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
21mpg
35% FG
26% 3PT
81% FT
7.9 ppg
3.5 apg
1.6 rpg
2.3 tpg
1.3 spg

vs.

19 mpg
34% FG
29% 3PT
78% FT
5.6 ppg
2.2 apg
2.2 rpg
1.2 tpg
1.1 spg

Nobody took the bait, so...the bottom numbers are Smart's from his first 14 games in the NBA.

Top numbers are Chauncey Billups' from his first 15 games in the NBA.

Should we have given up on Billups too?

Oh, wait....
It took absolutely forever for Billups to get good. It wasn't for yeeeeeaaarrs. Lots of them.

« Reply #93 on: December 28, 2014, 04:30:48 PM »

Offline ctrey

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 110
This whole "Marcus Smart can not shoot and will never be able to" is such faulty reasoning. Barely anybody who comes out of college can shoot anymore. Shockingly the players from Europe, who basically are pros from about 13 years old can. Why? They attend special schools and spend most of their time playing and more importantly practicing basketball. I know. I personally witnessed it for ten years growing up in Europe. American kids run around playing AAU then play one or two years of college that restricts practice time. If I had a dollar for every player that came to the NBA as a bad shooter and is now a good one I'd be rich as well, a NBA player.

Smart's shot is not broken. It actually looks good and his free throws are very good. All of which is a great indicator that he will get better now that he can actually practice his trade full time.

« Reply #94 on: December 28, 2014, 04:31:01 PM »

Online Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
20 year old rookie asked to come off bench, play half his minutes at the SG, check the primary ball handler and sometimes star of the other team, then start 3 games (oh and be placed with new team-mates) is expected to look great 15 games into his career. Talk about over exaggerated expectations.  It's the NBA under 21 year-old rookies are not going dominate let alone at the PG spot.

« Reply #95 on: December 28, 2014, 04:34:25 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Given Smart hasn't shown the ability to be an outside shooter in either college or the pros, he really isn't a SG. He's gotta be a PG otherwise, his future in the NBA is that of defensive oriented combo guard off the bench, which isn't what you want as a #6 pick in a supposed super deep draft.

He needs to come off the bench and develop slowly but he has to do it at PG. He just isn't a SG.
Fair points all
In today's NBA, shooting guard is a bit of an oxymoron.  There are a plenty of starting SGs that aren't very good shooters.  On most teams, the PG has become the primary shooting guard.  With his current skill set and modest shooting improvements, Smart could become a solid NBA SG relatively soon.  Being a high draft pick is no guarantee of success in the NBA.  Smart ought to be developed into the best NBA player that he can be regardless of where he was drafted.  I'd much rather him become a good defensive oriented combo guard than a failed attempt at being an NBA PG.   

« Reply #96 on: December 28, 2014, 04:48:36 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I think Smart will end up a really nice player... but he's off to a terrible start to his career.  He's having an awful season. 

« Reply #97 on: December 28, 2014, 04:57:16 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think Bradley is a bust.

Rookie who just came off an injury, I think he deserves more time.    Those of us, that follow college ball, knew he would have trouble shooting.   What is most disconcerting to me, is lack of elite burst speed in driving past other guards.  A lot of time guys, who can't shoot develop a drive that compensates but I am not seeing that from Smart thus far.   I think he is a good not great athlete but as tough and hard nosed as they come.  He is about what I expected, last years draft for all the hype was not as deep as they said.

« Reply #98 on: December 28, 2014, 05:16:13 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
I think Smart will end up a really nice player... but he's off to a terrible start to his career.  He's having an awful season.

I'd say it has been a fairly typical rookie season so far and there is still 2/3rds of the season left for improvement.  Which rookies this year have actually performed much better than Smart? 

« Reply #99 on: December 28, 2014, 05:22:02 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Smart is just a rookie. He has more skills than he has shown. He is playing like KO did last season.  Too cautious , not aggressive enough.    Good to see him do some dribble, pull ups the last game.

The thing Smart has to work on right now is his left hand. It's below avg in terms of ball handling and finishing around the basket.  If teams are smart and make him go to his left exclusively , it is going to hurt his impact on the offensive end. 

Worse case he may play point or guard pg's but we will need to get a player like Reggie Jackson to direct the offense.   Worse worse case, Smart is a very good 6th man/defensive guy like Tony Allen is for the Grizzlies (but a better shooter).

« Reply #100 on: December 28, 2014, 05:22:31 PM »

Online Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

I'd say it has been a fairly typical rookie season so far and there is still 2/3rds of the season left for improvement.  Which rookies this year have actually performed much better than Smart?
I don't think we can compare the rookies yet because a lot of guys are not getting time or are injured.

« Reply #101 on: December 28, 2014, 05:40:43 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I think it says something about Smart that coach K has invited him to USA camp the last few years. And Grant Hill said he impressed him and showed him things he didn't think he could do.

A lot for Smart right now is getting healthy and getting his head on straight. He's too couscous. He's been getting to the paint, but he's been passing it. The last couple of times he shot it, he made it. I think Stevens needs to give him the green light if he get's by his guy to shoot it. 

« Reply #102 on: December 28, 2014, 05:42:53 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
21mpg
35% FG
26% 3PT
81% FT
7.9 ppg
3.5 apg
1.6 rpg
2.3 tpg
1.3 spg

vs.

19 mpg
34% FG
29% 3PT
78% FT
5.6 ppg
2.2 apg
2.2 rpg
1.2 tpg
1.1 spg

Nobody took the bait, so...the bottom numbers are Smart's from his first 14 games in the NBA.

Top numbers are Chauncey Billups' from his first 15 games in the NBA.

Should we have given up on Billups too?

Oh, wait....
It took absolutely forever for Billups to get good. It wasn't for yeeeeeaaarrs. Lots of them.

Trivia: Billups was our last draft pick higher than #10. (Not counting picks we traded away.)

Kind of amazing given that it was 17 years ago and we haven't exactly been the Spurs.

« Reply #103 on: December 28, 2014, 05:43:34 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Smart still coming off back to back foot injuries, should ignore box scores for the next month. Once healthy, he will be fine.  He is a keeper.

« Reply #104 on: December 28, 2014, 05:58:21 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
20 year old rookie asked to come off bench, play half his minutes at the SG, check the primary ball handler and sometimes star of the other team, then start 3 games (oh and be placed with new team-mates) is expected to look great 15 games into his career. Talk about over exaggerated expectations.  It's the NBA under 21 year-old rookies are not going dominate let alone at the PG spot.

Because people assume if a rookie isn't Lebron he's going to be a bust...

The two main issues for Smart are injuries and overthinking. The pro game is moving too fast for him, he's clearly overthinking and looking to pass first on every possession. He's had times where he's gotten into the paint and would have had an easy 2 or foul... and he kicked it out. His bread and butter in college was hard drives and getting to the line. He needs to find his game. I think he'll be a little more explosive too in time but he's coming off those injuries.

He tends to heat up in the 4th with the game on the line. That's impressive for a rookie. He has a killer instinct, and that alone will help him improve. He wants to be better. We just need to take the bad with the good, but Smart is going to be a really good player