Author Topic: Smart is not a point guard  (Read 28318 times)

Re: Smart is not a point guard
« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2014, 12:27:02 AM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
1: Smart cannot Shoot--so he cannot be a shooting guard
2: Smart cannot Drive to the hoop--so he cannot be a point guard

3: He should quit and play football.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2014, 12:29:13 AM »

Offline 33_Larry Legend_33

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 87
I don't often reply much here anymore, but I lurk and read various posts...  This one caught my attention.

I think a very solid comparison to Smart is Chauncey Billups (as was mentioned a few posts ago).  When you compare body type and style of play, it's a good way to look at Smart.  The one thing NONE of us can know for certain is what kind of potential/ceiling Smart has.  But you CAN look at the early trend of his career and begin to see something:

In college, Smart shot 40% & 42% from the field in his 2 seasons at OK St.  When you look at his 3-point shooting, it's even worse: .290 & .299.

As a Celtic (in limited games) he's showing the trend to show him for what he is: 34% shooter and .292 from 3-point range. 

In college he never averaged 5 assists per game.  He was a bull in a China shop who muscled his way to the rim.  I'm not sure he'll have that capability in the pros.  I honestly think I'd rather have Elfrid Payton on this team instead of Smart, and though I know it's early, I think Danny made a mistake with Smart at that high of a draft choice.  The one thing we know right now is that point guards in the NBA are in ABUNDANCE.  And it's important to find a PG that can SCORE the basketball.  The game is now dominated from the outside in, and not the inside out (as was 20 years ago).  I don't know what Danny saw in Smart, but he won't start - at least for the next couple/three years. 

He appears to be a heady defender who isn't afraid to stick his nose in anyone's business defensively, but he's a horrible shooter and a lousy floor general.

Another thing that concerns me is his lack of taking care of the basketball.  Stevens uses a lot of cross-court passes from the right and left point positions.  Smart continually throws weak passes that are getting picked off, putting the opponent in a good position for 2 one 1 or 3 on 2 fastbreak opportunities.  A smart pg (pardon the pun) would know better, yet Smart seems to not recognize how careless he is with the ball.

Chauncey Billups' worst problem early in his career was that he shot the ball on the way DOWN after his jump.  Instead of getting the ball off at the peak of his leap, he shot it coming down and he was a mess for about the first 5 years of his career.  The first three years of his NBA career, Billups shot 37%, 39% and 34%.  His 3-point shooting was below those figures.  I might be in the minority, but I thought trading him for Kenny Anderson was a wise move for that team.  One could second-guess the move (maybe out of simple hatred for Pitino), but Kenny knew how to run a team (though his character might have been a question mark on such a young ball club).

If I'm Danny, I really look at the options out there for a scoring PG.  I think Smart is a 3-5 year backup, not a starter.  Nelson isn't the answer either, as he's a backup anymore who would fit nicely on a contending team needing reserve help.

I've been watching the NBA closely since 1982, and Smart simply doesn't have the ability to handle what's been thrown at him right now.  I'm not sure he'll ever be a good shooter, and I fear that everyone allowed that ONE GAME get them all giddy and over-react. 

I miss Rondo.  I think Danny made a bad move, but could redeem himself by what he does next (either before this upcoming trade deadline and the offseason).  But this team is an utter mess right now, and if the Celtics want stability it will come through finding a PG who can score in this motion offense that Stevens runs.  But I don't see Smart being the answer as I'm not sure he'll ever be a shooter or a good floor general.  He's a hard-nosed defensive guy that you play in short bursts when you need a spark...  But I guess time will tell, and I hope I'm wrong.

« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2014, 12:30:49 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
The guy should start every game. The team stinks and Smart playing a horrible point guard doesn't make a difference. This is a lottery bound team and they should be playing Smart as many minutes at the point as they can to see whether he figures it out. That's why they traded Rondo, not to play Jameer Nelson or Evan Turner at the point. I have my doubts about the guy as a point guard, but we won't have a decent idea until the end of the year.

Thank you, TP.  Why should Smart have to 'earn' his spot, while Jameer Nelson, who was horrible for the Mavs, was practically handed the keys to the team probably before he ever had one practice with us?  No, that's ridiculous.  Nelson should have had to earn his minutes, as well, and he should have been 3rd in terms of playing time behind Turner and Smart, imo. 

« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2014, 12:30:49 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
My memory is extremely clear about rondo in his rookie season.  Extremely clear.  Rondo showed huge flashes from day 1 of what he would eventually become.  His only weakness was shooting. 

Smart on the other hand looks like a bust.  I get a COMPLETELY different feeling about him.  And yes, the Marcus banks comparisons are about right.  The guy isn't a pg and he isn't a shooting guard.  And I'm sorry, it's okay to come in to the nba and refine your game.  But when we're talking about learning skills that a guy doesn't have in the nba, it just is not happening.

I know people don't want to hear.  And I hear over and over again how it's too early to make proclamations.  But I call BS on that.  I can't make a proclamation that James young will never be a pg this soon as well.  Is it too early to do that?  Of course not.

So in smart, we have a guy that does one thing well.  Play defense.  He's average or below average in every other part of his game, whether we're talking pg or sg.  He doesn't drive to the basket because he can't do it consistently.  And we saw in summer league that he has trouble finishing.  In summer league!

So ask me how I really feel about smart.

I remember Rondo's rookie season vividly as well, he was as you say... a very inconsistent shooter, prone to a spectacular pass, and energetic on D. It was clear he would be a solid NBA player at worst, and the thought of pairing him with the Big 3 and Perk, in my mind at least, seemed like it wasn't a big jump.

Smart is built entirely differently, physically and as a basketball player. He's not quite as good a rebounder, probably a better defender, and drives with the intention of scoring (when he does) more than Rondo did. He's not nearly as good at penetrating off the dribble as Rondo was and is.

The one reason we should "wait and see" on Smart is because of his injuries and his new position as a PG. Rondo had been a floor general since his days at Oak Hill, and played a similar role while in Kentucky. Smart has been asked to be an alpha dog, a jack of all trades, and when you are physically stronger than the vast majority of your opponents often that leads to underdeveloped skills in a certain regard.

Not to mention, and I think this point holds just as strong, Smart has been injured on two separate occasions. He looks different than he did even at the beginning of the year and is not in great shape. Let's give him 15 more games before casting judgment.

You are right to say he's not going to be the classic PG Rondo was/is, but it's becoming clear that's not necessarily conducive to creating a successful team in today's NBA.

Rondo showed flashes as a rookie. So has Smart. Rondo had the advantage of having a hall of famer in his prime playing with him in Pierce. Smart has had no such player. To give up on Smart this fast is foolish. But judging by the original post I should expect nothing less.
Look, I know rondo improved over time.  But what he showed early on, and what smart has shown thus far is night and day. 

« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2014, 12:36:29 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
1: Smart cannot Shoot--so he cannot be a shooting guard
2: Smart cannot Drive to the hoop--so he cannot be a point guard

3: He should quit and play football.

He would be an incredible strong safety.

« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2014, 12:44:28 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
My memory is extremely clear about rondo in his rookie season.  Extremely clear.  Rondo showed huge flashes from day 1 of what he would eventually become.  His only weakness was shooting. 

Smart on the other hand looks like a bust.  I get a COMPLETELY different feeling about him.  And yes, the Marcus banks comparisons are about right.  The guy isn't a pg and he isn't a shooting guard.  And I'm sorry, it's okay to come in to the nba and refine your game.  But when we're talking about learning skills that a guy doesn't have in the nba, it just is not happening.

I know people don't want to hear.  And I hear over and over again how it's too early to make proclamations.  But I call BS on that.  I can't make a proclamation that James young will never be a pg this soon as well.  Is it too early to do that?  Of course not.

So in smart, we have a guy that does one thing well.  Play defense.  He's average or below average in every other part of his game, whether we're talking pg or sg.  He doesn't drive to the basket because he can't do it consistently.  And we saw in summer league that he has trouble finishing.  In summer league!

I remember Rondo's rookie season vividly as well, he was as you say... a very inconsistent shooter, prone to a spectacular pass, and energetic on D. It was clear he would be a solid NBA player at worst, and the thought of pairing him with the Big 3 and Perk, in my mind at least, seemed like it wasn't a big jump.

Smart is built entirely differently, physically and as a basketball player. He's not quite as good a rebounder, probably a better defender, and drives with the intention of scoring (when he does) more than Rondo did. He's not nearly as good at penetrating off the dribble as Rondo was and is.

The one reason we should "wait and see" on Smart is because of his injuries and his new position as a PG. Rondo had been a floor general since his days at Oak Hill, and played a similar role while in Kentucky. Smart has been asked to be an alpha dog, a jack of all trades, and when you are physically stronger than the vast majority of your opponents often that leads to underdeveloped skills in a certain regard.

Not to mention, and I think this point holds just as strong, Smart has been injured on two separate occasions. He looks different than he did even at the beginning of the year and is not in great shape. Let's give him 15 more games before casting judgment.

You are right to say he's not going to be the classic PG Rondo was/is, but it's becoming clear that's not necessarily conducive to creating a successful team in today's NBA.

Rondo showed flashes as a rookie. So has Smart. Rondo had the advantage of having a hall of famer in his prime playing with him in Pierce. Smart has had no such player. To give up on Smart this fast is foolish. But judging by the original post I should expect nothing less.
Look, I know rondo improved over time.  But what he showed early on, and what smart has shown thus far is night and day.

In his first 14 games, Smart is out shooting rookie Rondo from 2 and from 3.  He's averaging fewer assists but mor blocks.  He's averaging fewer points but also getting fewer shots and minutes.

Do you think there wasn't a 14 game stretch as a rookie where Rondo looked worse than Smart?

Mike

« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2014, 01:01:46 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

In his first 14 games, Smart is out shooting rookie Rondo from 2 and from 3.  He's averaging fewer assists but mor blocks.  He's averaging fewer points but also getting fewer shots and minutes.

Do you think there wasn't a 14 game stretch as a rookie where Rondo looked worse than Smart?

Mike
To answer your question, no.  I thought rondo looked phenomenal for a rookie that couldn't shoot.  I saw almost from day 1 what he would become.  I see none of that in smart, numbers be [dang]ed.

« Reply #52 on: December 28, 2014, 01:09:56 AM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
I was at Rondo's first Summer league games in Vegas---and you could see right then, that he should be the starting PG for the Cs....instead, Doc went with Telfair for some reason...it was pathetic.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #53 on: December 28, 2014, 01:27:41 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
I was at Rondo's first Summer league games in Vegas---and you could see right then, that he should be the starting PG for the Cs....instead, Doc went with Telfair for some reason...it was pathetic.

Doc went with Telfair because we were tanking.

It's all about the tank.

« Reply #54 on: December 28, 2014, 01:32:29 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

Mike
To answer your question, no.  I thought rondo looked phenomenal for a rookie that couldn't shoot.  I saw almost from day 1 what he would become.  I see none of that in smart, numbers be [dang]ed.

I can't really argue with what you know claim to remember from 8 years ago.  It's just dumb to trash any player before he's even played 20 games in the NBA.

Mike

« Reply #55 on: December 28, 2014, 01:33:25 AM »

Offline inverselock

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 44
You can't write off anyone 14 games into an Nba career.

Rookie Rondo was bad but you could see his playmaking ability.

Rookie Smart is bad but you can see his defensive ability.

Time will tell.  14 games........

Chicago should have dumped Jimmy Butler after 14 games too!

« Reply #56 on: December 28, 2014, 01:42:02 AM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
By all means, let's write off all the rookies we have if they're not scoring 20ppg within a year.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #57 on: December 28, 2014, 01:54:08 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Id like to see smart have more of an opportunity to play through his mistakes. Seems he's on a tight leash.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #58 on: December 28, 2014, 02:02:03 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

Lucky!!! TP.  I have a couple of his rookie cards - does that count, lol? ;D

« Reply #59 on: December 28, 2014, 02:02:28 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
Id like to see smart have more of an opportunity to play through his mistakes. Seems he's on a tight leash.

Ditto.