Author Topic: Smart is not a point guard  (Read 28331 times)

Re: Smart is not a point guard
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2014, 09:50:08 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Given Smart hasn't shown the ability to be an outside shooter in either college or the pros, he really isn't a SG. He's gotta be a PG otherwise, his future in the NBA is that of defensive oriented combo guard off the bench, which isn't what you want as a #6 pick in a supposed super deep draft.

He needs to come off the bench and develop slowly but he has to do it at PG. He just isn't a SG.

Then let Smart backup Nelson and let Bradley backup Turner.

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2014, 09:55:47 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
So when will the Marcus Banks comparisons begin?

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2014, 09:56:49 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
They began the day we drafted him.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2014, 09:57:44 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I think Smart's future is as a PG but he is clearly struggling quite badly right now and looks ill-prepared to take on immediate starting role. I think he would be better off continuing to come off the bench as a PG/SG for 25mpg. If he improves enough, he can take over starting PG duties later in the season. If not, he should stay in bench role until next year.

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2014, 10:00:39 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
Given Smart hasn't shown the ability to be an outside shooter in either college or the pros, he really isn't a SG. He's gotta be a PG otherwise, his future in the NBA is that of defensive oriented combo guard off the bench, which isn't what you want as a #6 pick in a supposed super deep draft.

He needs to come off the bench and develop slowly but he has to do it at PG. He just isn't a SG.

He hasn't shown the ability to be a PG either.  In college, he split time running the OK state offense with Markel Brown.  He's got a better chance to develop his shooting skills and to do so more quickly than to develop the skills needed to be a NBA point guard.  Rondo not only was a true PG but he also had Rivers to mentor him. 

« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2014, 10:02:05 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
I think Smart's future is as a PG but he is clearly struggling quite badly right now and looks ill-prepared to take on immediate starting role. I think he would be better off continuing to come off the bench as a PG/SG for 25mpg. If he improves enough, he can take over starting PG duties later in the season. If not, he should stay in bench role until next year.

I wonder if Ainge flatly ordered Stevens to start Smart?

Mike

« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2014, 10:05:01 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

Yeah, but that was only from one guy I'm wondering if people will join him though......

« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2014, 10:05:56 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo

Mike

Probably.

« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2014, 10:06:31 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349

Mike

It seems Stevens is just an Ainge mouthpiece this year, so I'd believe it.

« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2014, 10:06:56 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
lol how many games as he played let alone started at PG?

This is what 'development' is all about. He's a smart, tough kid and he'll work it out.
Brad Stevens coaching style is about slow development. He's restricting the shots he wants Smart to take- limiting his drives to the hole for now.

Eventually once Smart understands the offense and the fundamentals of this half-motion offense, he'll be able to manipulate it and add his own flair of offense when he sees fit ala Tony Parker (attack when you see an opening, keep the ball moving until you find an opening, and when a double team comes find your shooters).

We've barely seen him attempt to get to the hole which is a huge strength of his and this will come at a later point.

Rookie season 101:
-Learn offense
-improve 3 point shot
-improve passing

Forget about everything else for now.

Stay patient my fellow green fiends.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2014, 10:08:01 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo

Yeah, but that was only from one guy I'm wondering if people will join him though......

That was cb8883.
But he was wrong. Smart is much better than Banks.

« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2014, 10:09:15 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo

This is what 'development' is all about. He's a smart, tough kid and he'll work it out.
Brad Stevens coaching style is about slow development. He's restricting the shots he wants Smart to take- limiting his drives to the hole for now.

Eventually once Smart understands the offense and the fundamentals of this half-motion offense, he'll be able to manipulate it and add his own flair of offense when he sees fit ala Tony Parker (attack when you see an opening, keep the ball moving until you find an opening, and when a double team comes find your shooters).

We've barely seen him attempt to get to the hole which is a huge strength of his and this will come at a later point.

Rookie season 101:
-Learn offense
-improve 3 point shot
-improve passing

So pair him with Turner, so he has some help.

Bradley is a disaster.

« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2014, 10:12:29 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

If that's true, Stevens is an idiot.

Mike

« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2014, 10:23:54 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551

Rookie season 101:
-Learn offense
-improve 3 point shot
-improve passing

So pair him with Turner, so he has some help.

Bradley is a disaster.

Don't bench Bradley yet.  I'm hoping Ainge has a trade lined up once Bradley become trade eligible on the 15th. 

« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2014, 10:31:16 PM »

Offline showtime

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 20
  Right now he's not good enough to be compared to Banks.  Maybe J R Giddens!