Author Topic: Defending the pick and roll  (Read 9882 times)

Re: Defending the pick and roll
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2014, 06:59:41 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Wyc must be pretty unhappy that Danny spent all that money on Brad when he could have gotten better coaching from the typical celticblogger.
This has statement holds more truth than you think it does.

Wow.  If this has even a hint of seriousness, it's probably the saddest thing I've ever heard.
Of course it does. Guys like Brian Shaw and Jeff Hornacek are signed for pretty much half the money and half the years, you think they can be any worse than Brad Stevens? I don't.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2014, 07:03:09 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
Wyc must be pretty unhappy that Danny spent all that money on Brad when he could have gotten better coaching from the typical celticblogger.

Wow.  If this has even a hint of seriousness, it's probably the saddest thing I've ever heard.
Of course it does. Guys like Brian Shaw and Jeff Hornacek are signed for pretty much half the money and half the years, you think they can be any worse than Brad Stevens? I don't.

Brian Shaw has unquestionably been the worse coach so far.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2014, 07:12:42 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550

We could have had Brett Brown on a lesser deal.  Choosing a mid major college coach with no NBA experience was a recipe for a long rebuild.  Stevens is already looking haggard.  If things don't improve I can't see Stevens lasting for all six years. 

« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2014, 07:14:21 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

Oh, okay, you're not joking, you just don't know anything about what Brad Stevens has done as a coach, or how bad the average Celticsblogger is at coaching (especially professionally).
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2014, 07:21:44 PM »

Online SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2003
Zone.

Use our depth to play more pressure and extend the defense to half or three-quarter court.

Pack the paint and dare teams to hit the outside shot.

Double teams to get the ball out of a player's hands and then deny him the ball.

I'm sure people could come up with other examples.

They are all basic basketball defensive strategies that can be employed during a game.

How many times has Stevens tried any of them this season?

Mike

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Playing exclusively man to man is stupid.

You have to mix it up.

If this team wins 20something games again, I would guess that Wyc will ask why he's paying so much for Stevens when a longtime NBA assistant could have cost half as much.

And it's easy for us amateurs to second-guess real coaches but even broken clocks are right twice a day.  Here are my complaints with Stevens.

1.  His rotations are very questionable.  He's now had a whole offseason, a training camp, a preseason, a regular season, another offseason, another training camp and 1/4th of another regular season.  He should have a better handle on managing an NBA roster in an NBA game.

2.  He's not a great defensive coach.  He might not be a bad defensive coach but we don't see anything on the floor or in Stevens public comments to indicate he's really good at either designing defenses or at getting max defensive effort out of his players.

3.  He's too nice.  You can't chew on players the way you can college kids but Stevens does not seem to have command of the team.

4.  I think the losing is getting to him.  Starting three different guys at PG in three straight games is a straight up panic move.

5.  The Celtics performance on set plays and out of bounds plays has not looked like the product of a basketball genius.

Now, I think this team in a pitiful East can win 30something games.  If they can't, it is going to be time to start putting less blame on the players and more on Stevens.

Mike
And last but not least...

6. He has no idea how to work the refs. His courtside demeanor is limited to standing there with a "who pooped in my pants" look. A good NBA coach is a master lobbyist who knows how to goad the officials into makeup calls after a questionable whistle.

He's simply not NBA coaching material at this point, and there's not telling when and if he will be.

I have my criticisms of Stevens as well, many of which MBunge has already covered.  He did state recently that he's still trying to find the ideal starting rotation.

But I think it's very important to consider that he has not had the luxury of continuity that many of the seasoned coaches enjoy.  He's had a rotating door of players ever since he got here. 

- Courtney Lee, who had been playing well for us prior to his trade to Memphis, was shipped out.  JCraw too, but not many people miss him
- Hump is gone.  He was our most consistent big.
- New players to the start of this season: Turner, Zeller, Smart, Young, Thornton.
- No more Rondo.  3 new players to integrate now.

I'm not trying to let him off the hook.  He does need to improve, but he's had a tough job.  Just trying to stay objective.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 07:35:55 PM by SCeltic34 »

« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2014, 07:23:03 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

Brian Shaw won 36 games in the west last season with a team that  probably looks worse on paper than the Celtics did at the start of this season. Brad Stevens is on track for his second twenty-win season in the horrible East.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2014, 07:37:43 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Zone.

Use our depth to play more pressure and extend the defense to half or three-quarter court.

Pack the paint and dare teams to hit the outside shot.

Double teams to get the ball out of a player's hands and then deny him the ball.

I'm sure people could come up with other examples.

They are all basic basketball defensive strategies that can be employed during a game.

How many times has Stevens tried any of them this season?

Mike

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Playing exclusively man to man is stupid.

You have to mix it up.

HAHA
Why wouldn't Teams press more full court after a basket? Seems warranted at times.

« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2014, 07:56:29 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367

Brian Shaw won 36 games in the west last season with a team that  probably looks worse on paper than the Celtics did at the start of this season. Brad Stevens is on track for his second twenty-win season in the horrible East.

That's where we disagree. Nuggets have been consistently better on paper than Boston the past two years.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2014, 08:15:57 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

That's where we disagree. Nuggets have been consistently better on paper than Boston the past two years.
Denver's starting five last season consisted of Lawson, Foye, Chandler, Farried, and Hickson. I don't think these guys are that much better than Rondo, Bradley, Green, Sullinger and Zeller.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 08:23:36 PM by kozlodoev »

« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2014, 08:53:03 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
I forgot one more complaint about Stevens.

He appears to think if he plays a guy more than 36 minutes, their heart will explode.

Mike