Author Topic: Mannix on Lopez; Rondo trade was also discussed with Nets  (Read 9935 times)

Re: Mannix on Lopez; Rondo trade was also discussed with Nets
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2014, 01:56:24 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
thank goodness we didn't add Lopez.  I'd take him for free I guess.  I hope he stays
healthy and makes a decent comeback.

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2014, 02:12:31 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
I'll never understand Danny's fascination with flawed big men. Whether it be Raef LaFrentz, Patrick O'Bryant, Mikki Moore, Fab Melo...

It's awfully hard to make the claim that Danny was "fascinated" byt O'Bryant, Moore or Melo.

Lol, you didn't know? DA did everything he could to get POB. That vet min contract really stretched Wyc and Steve's pockets. DA had to beg them to get it done.

He did pass on Chris Andersen for him, though.

Hindsight is 20/20. Andersen was out of the league in '06-07 and played five games in '07-08. We signed POB in the summer of '08. It was hardly an obvious decision and one that's pretty unfair to begrudge Ainge for incorrectly making.

Danny's job is to make the right decision.  He missed.

POB could never play.  Andersen could.  That wasn't hindsight, it was a gamble on a bum that didn't work out.  It's not so much different than Melo vs. PJ3.

Danny has won some, and lost some. I tend not to gloss over his mistakes.

You're comparing Andersen vs. POB in '07-08 to Melo vs. PJ3 in present day?

Um... I guess we'll agree to disagree on this one.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2014, 02:18:59 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
Maybe 'fascinated' means something different than I think it means.

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2014, 02:23:38 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I'll never understand Danny's fascination with flawed big men. Whether it be Raef LaFrentz, Patrick O'Bryant, Mikki Moore, Fab Melo...

It's awfully hard to make the claim that Danny was "fascinated" byt O'Bryant, Moore or Melo.

Lol, you didn't know? DA did everything he could to get POB. That vet min contract really stretched Wyc and Steve's pockets. DA had to beg them to get it done.

Hindsight is 20/20. Andersen was out of the league in '06-07 and played five games in '07-08. We signed POB in the summer of '08. It was hardly an obvious decision and one that's pretty unfair to begrudge Ainge for incorrectly making.

POB could never play.  Andersen could.  That wasn't hindsight, it was a gamble on a bum that didn't work out.  It's not so much different than Melo vs. PJ3.

In both cases, Danny took the "athletic" stiff over the guy with more proven production, in the name of upside.  It didn't work out either time.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2014, 02:28:32 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Once upon a time I had high hopes for Brook Lopez. Now a days, if I were GM, you wouldn't be able to pay me to have in on the roster.

Too injured, too soft. Quite possibly one of the worst rebounding 7 footers in the league along with Bargnani. Terrible defender as well. Overall negative impact.

To be more succinct, I would rather have received the bag of rocks we got from Dallas than Lopez. He sucks that much.

« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2014, 02:48:59 PM »

Offline RRNoLookPass

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 15
thank goodness we didn't add Lopez.  I'd take him for free I guess.  I hope he stays
healthy and makes a decent comeback.

I don't....cause Lopez staying healthy and making a decent comeback is only going to improve the Nets, and hence, lower the Celts' chances at getting a high draft pick in 2016. Where as if Lopez continues to play below his previous expectations, at least the Nets won't be able to trade him for pieces that will help improve their record.

« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2014, 02:49:43 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Once upon a time I had high hopes for Brook Lopez. Now a days, if I were GM, you wouldn't be able to pay me to have in on the roster.

Too injured, too soft. Quite possibly one of the worst rebounding 7 footers in the league along with Bargnani. Terrible defender as well. Overall negative impact.

To be more succinct, I would rather have received the bag of rocks we got from Dallas than Lopez. He sucks that much.
Lopez is arguably the best low-post scorer in the game.   He's a lock to give you 20 a night.  He's not much of a rebounder... he gets a couple blocks a night, but I don't know if he's a great rim protector.   Getting Lopez would have been an upgrade for sure.  He's a 26 year old all-star center.  The injuries are a concern and the contract is fat. 

Of course, it's really hard to sell yourself on taking the lopez risk when you have a career backup like Zeller putting up such great numbers right now.

« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2014, 02:51:18 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367

In both cases, Danny took the "athletic" stiff over the guy with more proven production, in the name of upside.  It didn't work out either time.

How can you say someone who had played six games in two years is proven?

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2014, 03:17:45 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210

Lopez is arguably the best low-post scorer in the game.   He's a lock to give you 20 a night.  He's not much of a rebounder... he gets a couple blocks a night, but I don't know if he's a great rim protector.   Getting Lopez would have been an upgrade for sure.  He's a 26 year old all-star center.  The injuries are a concern and the contract is fat. 

Of course, it's really hard to sell yourself on taking the lopez risk when you have a career backup like Zeller putting up such great numbers right now.

How is a guy who has averaged 20pts a game in his career twice, a lock to give you 20 a night?  He has scored at least 20 pts in a whopping five games this year.   By that standard Olynyk is a lock to get you 20 a night. 

Lopez is a horrible rebounder who has very low lateral foot speed.  He can't guard anyone who can step out and hit jumpers and dribble in the least.  I'd rather have an empty roster spot than Lopez and I'd definitely rather have that money available for someone else.

« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2014, 03:28:55 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I don't trust Lopez to play enough minutes to warrant his high salary.

We should be targeting Young players, not players on their last legs due to health.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2014, 03:37:05 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Andersen had a proven NBA track record -- especially compared to POB -- and PJ3 had a proven collegiate record, especially compared to Fab.

I'm not sure why this analogy is flying over your head, but I'm not sure it matters.  You're okay with overlooking some of Danny's mistakes as being only due to 20/20 hindsight, and I disagree with that.  Tons of Celtics fans -- I'd say the clear majority in both cases -- disagreed with the decisions at the time.  Danny shouldn't be run out of town for making those mistakes, but they weren't great decisions, either at the time or in hindsight.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2014, 03:38:49 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215

I don't remember the specifics as well as you do but I do remember being pretty excited about possibly getting the birdman.

« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2014, 03:40:58 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
I don't trust Lopez to play enough minutes to warrant his high salary.

We should be targeting Young players, not players on their last legs due to health.
yep. Lopez is a tree.

« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2014, 04:05:17 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

So just to be clear...

Rondo= washed up scrub

Lopez= best low post scorer in the league, and all-star

I guess I won't say anything further. My mother always taught me, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all".

« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2014, 04:07:03 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Rather have Robin Lopez with sound legs and feet