Author Topic: Mannix on Lopez; Rondo trade was also discussed with Nets  (Read 9911 times)

Mannix on Lopez; Rondo trade was also discussed with Nets
« on: December 27, 2014, 08:15:29 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Interestingly enough, Mannix said, "When they talked to Brooklyn about Rondo it was mostly about Mirza Teletovic and some of their younger pieces there".

On Lopez...

The Nets have made it clear that their "Big 3" of Deron Williams, Brook Lopez and Joe Johnson are available, said SI.com's Chris Mannix on Celtics Pregame Live.

While the salaries of the trio may scare some teams away, Mannix said the Celtics might want to look into Lopez.

"There's no evidence they're looking into him," Mannix told Kyle Draper before Brooklyn played in Boston on Friday afternoon. "If I'm Boston, I'd do my homework on Brook Lopez. He's in his mid-20s. He's a guy who's a pure center, who has been an All-Star. He makes some decent money but, if you're rebuilding a team, a guy like that wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to start with."

Re: Mannix on Lopez; Rondo trade was also discussed with Nets
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2014, 08:54:07 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I can see Danny being interested in Teletovic and Bogdonavic, or however you spell that. I wanted BB in the KG /Pierce trade.

As for Lopez...  He's got a huge contract, he's a poor rebounder, below average and often soft defender,  and chronically injured.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2014, 09:16:42 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
phew...as long as it wasn't Deron Williams...or Lopez for that matter.

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2014, 09:26:28 AM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
Really not much chance of a deal with the Nets in the near future. They just don't have enough draft picks ????
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2014, 09:43:33 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
I can see Danny being interested in Teletovic and Bogdonavic, or however you spell that. I wanted BB in the KG /Pierce trade.

As for Lopez...  He's got a huge contract, he's a poor rebounder, below average and often soft defender,  and chronically injured.

I would do Wallace & and Bass for Lopez.

For us, it would be a high risk/high reward type of move. Both Wallace and Lopez expire in the summer of 16.

For them, it would lower their luxury tax number next season as the difference between Lopez and Wallace is approximately 5M. Bass is expiring and comes off the books this summer.

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2014, 11:11:28 AM »

Offline celts10

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
I'll never understand Danny's fascination with flawed big men. Whether it be Raef LaFrentz, Patrick O'Bryant, Mikki Moore, Fab Melo...

Lopez is good offensively but he has too much other baggage (injuries, contract, poor rebounding). And to be honest I don't think he would have helped the Nets much against the Heat last spring. He never really fit into Kidd's system; him and KG were too slow out there together.

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2014, 11:27:45 AM »

Offline revtodd64

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 8
Lopez looked terrible on defense last night and he was yanked.  Plumlee is clearly better, as well as Zeller.  He's a shadow of being an All-Star center due to injuries. 

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2014, 12:16:49 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I'll never understand Danny's fascination with flawed big men. Whether it be Raef LaFrentz, Patrick O'Bryant, Mikki Moore, Fab Melo...

Lopez is good offensively but he has too much other baggage (injuries, contract, poor rebounding). And to be honest I don't think he would have helped the Nets much against the Heat last spring. He never really fit into Kidd's system; him and KG were too slow out there together.
It is called due diligence. It is the smart move when everyone knows a team wants to dump salary. You inquire what the Nets want and then you say 'no thanks'. Raef in the only person you list who is in the same league as Lopez. The other guys were just roster filler. Every team has roster filler. Raef was a quality NBA player.

Lopez is a legitimate asset. Remember when Big Z couldn't get on the floor for Cleveland for a few seasons due to foot issues. After that, he had multiple years of effective healthy play. Lopez will be an excellent asset if he has a good run of healthy games, and the Nets are desperate to dump salary right now due to the luxury tax and the ruble.

In general, if you see a teams that wants something really bad, talk to them. That is when you will get the most value.

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2014, 12:30:41 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!

Id trade wallace, bass, and a 2nd for him. We will have some high 2nds. I wouldnt give up much more.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2014, 12:35:04 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

It's awfully hard to make the claim that Danny was "fascinated" byt O'Bryant, Moore or Melo.

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2014, 12:45:15 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367

It's awfully hard to make the claim that Danny was "fascinated" byt O'Bryant, Moore or Melo.

Lol, you didn't know? DA did everything he could to get POB. That vet min contract really stretched Wyc and Steve's pockets. DA had to beg them to get it done.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2014, 01:17:44 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Lol, you didn't know? DA did everything he could to get POB. That vet min contract really stretched Wyc and Steve's pockets. DA had to beg them to get it done.

He did pass on Chris Andersen for him, though.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2014, 01:38:46 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367

Hindsight is 20/20. Andersen was out of the league in '06-07 and played five games in '07-08. We signed POB in the summer of '08. It was hardly an obvious decision and one that's pretty unfair to begrudge Ainge for incorrectly making.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2014, 01:43:24 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Hindsight is 20/20. Andersen was out of the league in '06-07 and played five games in '07-08. We signed POB in the summer of '08. It was hardly an obvious decision and one that's pretty unfair to begrudge Ainge for incorrectly making.

Danny's job is to make the right decision.  He missed.

POB could never play.  Andersen could.  That wasn't hindsight, it was a gamble on a bum that didn't work out.  It's not so much different than Melo vs. PJ3.

Danny has won some, and lost some. I tend not to gloss over his mistakes.

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2014, 01:44:23 PM »

Offline soulman

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 21

it s Bogdanovic, he is a very good 3pt shooter, we need a good 3pt shooter so badly...