Author Topic: Jarrett Jack killed us!!!  (Read 6860 times)

Re: Jarrett Jack killed us!!!
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2014, 03:29:07 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Yeah where is that famous Avery Bradley defense?

Marcus Smart was guarding Jack for a good part of the game.

I was going to make a more generalized post about the time it takes PG's to adjust to the NBA game. I didn't because I've gotten negged here a lot recently.  :P  But if I had, the question would've come from watching Jack tear it up today. Smart guarded him the majority of the game, not Bradley. And while I've always loved Jack, and he took every opportunity he saw and played well in general, I think it showed how far away Smart is from being that guy.

Will give Smart credit with some nice plays on the ball, including that steal and long assist. He anticipates well. But 1 on 1 with a vet player (above avg vet player, I'd say), he was badly exposed. Gonna take some time...
I disagree with him being exposed.  Getting picked all game is not one on one. The bigs have to step up wasn't all on Smart.

He got to the FT line 10+ times. And he wasn't scoring on P&Rs... it was all penetration and pull-up jumpers. Can't blame the bigs for any of that... that's on Smart. He hit a lot of tough shots... Smart did contest... but he was still burying them over him. Should've have let him get as deep as he did to take those shots, in the first place.

He contest alright after fighting through a pick that put him in trailing position.  Which isn't much of a contested shot watch it over again.  It's pick after pick each trip down.

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2014, 03:32:26 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

Appreciate your take. I'll take a look again. I rarely get to see games bc I'm out of state, and I'm really interested in how he's gonna develop. So it'll be good to revisit.

I was going to make a more generalized post about the time it takes PG's to adjust to the NBA game. I didn't because I've gotten negged here a lot recently.  :P  But if I had, the question would've come from watching Jack tear it up today. Smart guarded him the majority of the game, not Bradley. And while I've always loved Jack, and he took every opportunity he saw and played well in general, I think it showed how far away Smart is from being that guy.

Will give Smart credit with some nice plays on the ball, including that steal and long assist. He anticipates well. But 1 on 1 with a vet player (above avg vet player, I'd say), he was badly exposed. Gonna take some time...
I disagree with him being exposed.  Getting picked all game is not one on one. The bigs have to step up wasn't all on Smart.

He got to the FT line 10+ times. And he wasn't scoring on P&Rs... it was all penetration and pull-up jumpers. Can't blame the bigs for any of that... that's on Smart. He hit a lot of tough shots... Smart did contest... but he was still burying them over him. Should've have let him get as deep as he did to take those shots, in the first place.

He contest alright after fighting through a pick that put him in trailing position.  Which isn't much of a contested shot watch it over again.  It's pick after pick each trip down.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2014, 07:06:29 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Jack worked the screens and picks almost every time down and C's bigs just let him come right into paint and shoot. I know first hand that picks when well executed are unmatched by skill or effort of any one man no matter how great a defender. Getting picked all game Sucks. Smart showed a lot of heart the game despite the little defensive help. I've been there. Wonder if he will keep composure if he starts seeing double and trap picks/screens. I sure wouldn't for a whole game.
The strength and hurtin. Fighting over the top, takes a special person not many have the mental endurance not to take the easy way out. I watched marcus battle and was impressed,it was wow look at that kid battle.Csfan, TP for you,you know your stuff.Marcus has lower body and upper body strength and motivation like nobody in NBA at moment to fight over top

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2014, 08:09:28 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
He always does

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2014, 08:49:02 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Certain players always play well against us and I call them Celtic Killers, Jack is one of them.  DeRozen comes to mind as another who usually is up to play us.

« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2014, 09:14:16 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450

Old man moves are an unnatural thing to guard. Jack and Joe Johnson have plenty of them.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2014, 09:15:10 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
Jarrett Jack is one of my favorite non-Celtics.

He is a stand-up guy who believes in honor and loyalty. He was one of the VERY few NBA players who had the stones to publicly call out Judas Shuttlesworth as a traitor . (Many players did it, but didn't have the sack to do it like Jack did.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2012/07/jarrett-jack-calls-ray-allen-traitor-for-signing-with-heat/1#.VJ4uksDA

New Orleans Hornets guard Jarrett Jack took to Twitter Friday night and called Allen "a traitor" for agreeing to a three-year contract with the new NBA champions:

"Am I wrong for thinking ray allen is a traitor for signing with his rival team the heat? Tell me what u think!!!!!!"

The Heat eliminated the Celtics from the playoffs in each of the last two seasons.

In 2011, Miami ousted Boston 4-1 in the Eastern Conference semifinals. Last month, the Heat defeated the Celtics in a grueling seven-game series in the Eastern Conference finals on their way to winning the second NBA title in franchise history.

Much respect for Jarrett Jack.

yup, I liked Jack before I ever heard about this...now? he needs to be a Celtic.

« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2014, 09:42:21 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
For some reason Smart was showing Jack a path to the paint, like that was the plan. He didn't try to stay in front of him, but played off to his shooting hand, leading him to the bigs. Many of Jacks shots were short jumpers below the free throw line. Ice cream for Jack. 
I don't get it.

« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2014, 11:09:53 AM »

Offline DesertDweller

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 92
For some reason Smart was showing Jack a path to the paint, like that was the plan. He didn't try to stay in front of him, but played off to his shooting hand, leading him to the bigs. Many of Jacks shots were short jumpers below the free throw line. Ice cream for Jack. 
I don't get it.

I GET IT!!! it's called, when someone scores that much on you, your coach has to come up with a scheme to stop him. you watch his shooting last night, he was so on,  not one of his shots touched any rim!!!

« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2014, 11:30:54 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
Don't understand why so many have argued me that Smart was getting housed, albeit by a crafty, experienced vet. My intention was not to shatter your hopes and dreams, just to point out current holes in his D and starting thinking more realistically about the timeline of his development, current skill set, etc. Again, with re: to D, he's got a greater motor. He anticipates very well too. But he's vulnerable to giving up easy penetration into the paint, at the moment. Idk how that can be argued.

« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2014, 11:36:33 AM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Just the latest case (and there have been many) of the Cs getting torched by some journeyman/average player.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2014, 12:32:30 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Just the latest case (and there have been many) of the Cs getting torched by some journeyman/average player.

Soon he'll get signed by the C's and everyone will realize he's just Jerryd Bayless with a different name.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2014, 01:13:25 PM »

Offline KingofDaPlayazBall

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 13
Don't understand why so many have argued me that Smart was getting housed, albeit by a crafty, experienced vet. My intention was not to shatter your hopes and dreams, just to point out current holes in his D and starting thinking more realistically about the timeline of his development, current skill set, etc. Again, with re: to D, he's got a greater motor. He anticipates very well too. But he's vulnerable to giving up easy penetration into the paint, at the moment. Idk how that can be argued.

Cause you are simply wrong, smart defense wasn't the problem, it was the lack of help when jack comes off the pick.  if you watched his individual defense it wasnt perfect but it was fairly decent.  I dont remember jack beating Smart off the dribble, he only got to the paint when there was a pick.  The way Jack was playing yesterday required team help to slow him down, but smart was pretty much playing d by himself

« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2014, 06:05:55 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson

Cause you are simply wrong, smart defense wasn't the problem, it was the lack of help when jack comes off the pick.  if you watched his individual defense it wasnt perfect but it was fairly decent.  I dont remember jack beating Smart off the dribble, he only got to the paint when there was a pick.  The way Jack was playing yesterday required team help to slow him down, but smart was pretty much playing d by himself

In a 1:39 min recording of the game, this is what you'll see:

9:46: Jack beats Smart (no screen), scores in paint
11:22: Jack beats Smart (no screen), assist
12:46: Jack beats smart (no screen), scores in paint

58:00: Jack in P&R vs. Smart, doesn't use it, scores in paint
59:30: Jack vs. Smart (screen), misses 3
59:40: Jack beats Smart (no screen), 2 made FTs
1:30: Jack beats Smart (has a pick, doesn't use it, then drives), 2 made FTs
1:25: Jack vs. Smart (screen), scores in paint
1:27: Jack makes Smart nearly fall down off the dribble, misses an open 3
1:30: Jack vs. Smart (screen), assist on a 3 by Anderson
1:31: Jack vs. Smart, (screen), scores in paint

Do the math. Jack repeatedly beat him off the dribble, and did more damage in iso vs. Smart than he did in the P&R. So your contention misses the mark, unfortunately. And yes, to earlier posters, this is evidence Smart was exposed.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 06:23:51 PM by tarheelsxxiii »

« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2014, 03:22:32 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
bump. great post. thanks for the evidence.