Author Topic: Why no Zeller in the fourth quarter?  (Read 5312 times)

Re: Why no Zeller in the fourth quarter?
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2014, 08:14:19 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
If they REALLY REALLY wanted to win every game .

You play your best players a lot .....ride them to a victory every night you can.   

If a victory looks slim ...then like pops ,  you sit the stars

If the margin is 10 or less .....play your best players to win.

Winning is low on priority list.

Zeller is good free throw shooter , he should never come out the last minutes..

We had problems with Plumlee and Lopez in at same time .......huge lineup.

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2014, 08:20:54 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Um the team is tanking. Is this a serious question?

I think you are right.
Yes, Sully made this last shot to look exactly as if it would go in, and then turn around and get out. Perfect moral victory. (Can someone explain me how to use the sarcasm font pls?)

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2014, 08:50:58 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Playing Sully in the fourth is a tank job, his clutch stats are horrific.

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2014, 09:10:34 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
They're not telling the coach to lose games.

I don't know about that, no one knows if they are or aren't. I would hope not.

but, it's the only thing i'm hoping at this point. because if not, i'm really not liking some of the lineup choices by stevens.

like the other night, when we were struggling to score and stevens remedies this by putting 2 pg's out there at the same time, both of which struggle to score(smart and pressey). on top of it pressey was the SG in this lineup... ::)

then there's other things like insisting on playing Turner at pg, when we have 3 pg's on the roster. while Turner sucks there.

I understand "in stevens' system positions don't matter". but they do, they do matter in the NBA.

which is why I gotta believe this is all for the tank, playing 2 pg's at the same time is loser basketball, it's like waving the white flag, it's like saying we have no idea what to do.

I hope we're tanking and doing this crap on purpose. because if we're doing these things because we think it's a good idea? we're in trouble.

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2014, 09:10:36 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
I think Stevens is in a bit of a panic.  He needs to just simplify EVERYTHING he and the team are doing but, like many really smart people, he's overthinking things.  Vogel and Pop did it in the playoffs two years ago when they left their centers on the bench for crucial plays that cost them against Miami.

Mike

Good point. After watching his post-game interview (hadn't seen a game in a long time) today, he seems to be a lot less comfortable answering Qs and his demeanor isn't the same. Seemed like he felt an obligation to defend all of his actions. He also seemed pretty lost, unsure of where to go next, but perhaps moreso because of the new roster changes.

To me, going Turner, Nelson and then Smart as starting PG following the Rondo trade indicates he has neither a short term nor a long term plan.

Mike

« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2014, 09:17:28 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

then there's other things like insisting on playing Turner at pg, when we have 3 pg's on the roster. while Turner sucks there.

I understand "in stevens' system positions don't matter". but they do, they do matter in the NBA.

which is why I gotta believe this is all for the tank, playing 2 pg's at the same time is loser basketball

1.  Stevens clearly has done a pretty good job of rehabilitating Turner and part of that is showing faith in the guy and making him feel comfortable, but I think that's come a bit at the expense of the team overall.

2.  Two pgs can work but the both have to be veterans who can shoot.

Mike

« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2014, 09:24:33 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450

I don't know about that, no one knows if they are or aren't. I would hope not.

but, it's the only thing i'm hoping at this point. because if not, i'm really not liking some of the lineup choices by stevens.

like the other night, when we were struggling to score and stevens remedies this by putting 2 pg's out there at the same time, both of which struggle to score(smart and pressey). on top of it pressey was the SG in this lineup... ::)

which is why I gotta believe this is all for the tank, playing 2 pg's at the same time is loser basketball, it's like waving the white flag, it's like saying we have no idea what to do.

I hope we're tanking and doing this crap on purpose. because if we're doing these things because we think it's a good idea? we're in trouble.

So true, so true. And I want to believe it's tanking. Surely he is not that bad of an NBA coach. But I really don't know.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2014, 01:07:18 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
1.  Stevens clearly has done a pretty good job of rehabilitating Turner and part of that is showing faith in the guy and making him feel comfortable, but I think that's come a bit at the expense of the team overall.

last time I checked evan turner was not some cornerstone guy you go try to fix at the expense of the rest of the team. and why can't "fixing turner" be done as a SG? there's other guys at the point that need the experience.

2.  Two pgs can work but the both have to be veterans who can shoot.

that's what they say. I've been watching NBA basketball for 25 yr's. or so and I can't name one team that's pulled it off successfully consistently. all I've seen it do is cause more problems than it solves.

« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2014, 02:49:30 PM »

Offline Asher77

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 20
Zeller not being in bothered me but not as much as having to watch Turner play the point at the end while Smart was the 2. Nelson, Smart, or Turner at point is fine with me just not in 2 guard sets where Smart is the off guard.

« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2014, 03:20:24 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Perhaps we were seeing what we can do without.  Maybe CLE wants Zeller back?  I think this would be silly but you never know what we were getting from the third party.

« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2014, 03:51:23 PM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
Because BKN went small and Sullinger is our best two way big. Coaches in this league always get heat for matching small to small, but we got burned a few possessions with a big trying to guard the perimeter. It's pretty much a necessity to match it. We should've stuck with Crowder instead of Turner, but I have to agree with the decision of Stevens on the whole. Heck, I even think Zeller should've been third in the pecking order after Olynyk as well. Kelly vs. Sully should be the real question.

« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2014, 04:05:14 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

I find it a little odd Stevens would just forget to put Zeller back in.

« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2014, 04:15:37 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
So it was either a tank job or poor coaching. ...

Nothing else makes sence

« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2014, 04:26:10 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
So it was either a tank job or poor coaching. ...

Nothing else makes sence

it was something....like Rondo dribbling out the clock, down by 2 last season.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.