Author Topic: Celtics' State of Uncertainty  (Read 1774 times)

Celtics' State of Uncertainty
« on: December 26, 2014, 08:00:56 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
must be very distracting to the players. It is a wonder that they can even go out to compete on the court when they are not sure if they are part of this teams' future or if the team is playing to win or playing to tank. Must be a horrible work environment for professionals who have to perform under public scrutiny.

No wonder Rondo wanted out.

I think DA should signal exactly what is plans are regarding this rebuild. Are we trying to rebuild on the fly or blow it all up. If we are rebuilding on the fly we aren't doing a good job at it. And if we are blowing it up we should get that done already.

Re: Celtics' State of Uncertainty
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2014, 08:18:24 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Understand your point but it does benefit Ainge to not fully show his hand.  Think he didn't get enough for rondo?
Rebuild blow it up talk comes out bass might be worth a late second rounder.  Etc

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2014, 08:36:08 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
must be very distracting to the players. It is a wonder that they can even go out to compete on the court when they are not sure if they are part of this teams' future or if the team is playing to win or playing to tank. Must be a horrible work environment for professionals who have to perform under public scrutiny.

I think DA should signal exactly what is plans are regarding this rebuild. Are we trying to rebuild on the fly or blow it all up. If we are rebuilding on the fly we aren't doing a good job at it. And if we are blowing it up we should get that done already.

He has signaled his plans. They are:
Acquire and develop young talent.
Acquire picks and assets as valuable commodities.
Develop that young talent with a young, elite coach who specializes in developing college aged players and combining that talent with draft picks to trade for top 10 NBA players.

I'm not sure what's so hard to understand about his plan for the bigger picture.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2014, 08:53:07 PM »

Offline ronaldo943

• NFT
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 513
Must be a horrible work environment for professionals who have to perform under public scrutiny.

You make it sound like they're getting fired. I thought us normal people had it bad, but these guys have it worse because they make millions off of playing basketball. ???

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2014, 09:04:40 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

Develop that young talent with a young, elite coach who specializes in developing college aged players and combining that talent with draft picks to trade for top 10 NBA players.

I'm not sure what's so hard to understand about his plan for the bigger picture.
What threw me off was that he had this great player that I definitely didn't consider old. He was already developed. Then he traded it for nothing of value. And that player was one of the only things he had that may have helped attract other free agents.
So I am looking forward to seeing how it goes from here. Maybe he basically pulled a Toine on Rondo and felt like it needed to be done, but Rondo was a far better player in every regard.

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2014, 09:12:26 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

What threw me off was that he had this great player that I definitely didn't consider old. He was already developed. Then he traded it for nothing of value. And that player was one of the only things he had that may have helped attract other free agents.
So I am looking forward to seeing how it goes from here. Maybe he basically pulled a Toine on Rondo and felt like it needed to be done, but Rondo was a far better player in every regard.

Exactly!!! It is that trading of Rondo for pretty much nothing that creates the uncertainty and confusion. Folks tend to ignore the fact that for these players it is still a job and they need some stability and the security that it offers. The problem is not that we are rebuilding, it is that apart from CBS we have not laid the foundation for this 'new' team.

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2014, 09:27:11 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

The hard thing to understand is no NBA team would trade their top 10 player to us unless that player cant get paid or wants out.

Ogaju is on to something. It's tough to commit when even your existence on the team is uncertain. If we're blowing it up, then blow it up already. Otherwise, we should be adding more quality talent, not giving them away or not give them minutes.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2014, 09:28:21 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Must be a horrible work environment for professionals who have to perform under public scrutiny.

You make it sound like they're getting fired. I thought us normal people had it bad, but these guys have it worse because they make millions off of playing basketball. ???

It can get to your head.

These guys have families that probably settled in Boston, and any given day they have no idea if they would be moving or not. The uncertainty is a big distraction.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace