Author Topic: Could the Mavericks miss the playoffs?  (Read 6760 times)

Re: Could the Mavericks miss the playoffs?
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2014, 05:43:26 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
if Dallas got worse, it follows that we got better.

Silver linings.

I don't think that's necessarily true.
You're right that it's not necessarily true, but in this case it actually is.

It's all dependent on positions and system.  Jeff Green was clearly a better player than Perk, but when Boston traded it's starting center for a backup SF, it didn't necessarily improve them.

Boston could afford to lose ROndo, because he didn't fit the system and what he brings to the table is overblown.  Guys can step in, the offense can adjust and we'll be better off.

Dallas had a system built around spacing and ball movement... they already have one ball-dominating PG.  Adding Rondo has the potential to hurt them.

At the end of the day, Boston will still be a bad team and Dallas will still be a good team.  But I don't see this trade making a significant difference for the Mavs title push.  They could miss the playoffs if they struggle like it appears they should on paper.

« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2014, 05:48:42 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Dallas is 1-2 with Rondo.

They traded away all their depth.

Ainge is a genius.

Of course. Because 1-2 means missing the Playoffs. Guess the Warriors will also miss the Playoffs as they were 1-2 in the last three games.

With all the talent they have, it will take some major injuries for them to drop out of the Playoffs.

Here's the deal, genius. Until Ainge turns all those assets into a player we can build around, he's nothing but.

The Warriors have Curry starting, not Rondo.

Dallas got worse with the trade.

He finally gets his wish and the C's trade Rondo, yet, he still trolls him. Awesome.

« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2014, 05:49:59 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
if Dallas got worse, it follows that we got better.

Silver linings.

I don't think that's necessarily true.
You're right that it's not necessarily true, but in this case it actually is.

It's all dependent on positions and system.  Jeff Green was clearly a better player than Perk, but when Boston traded it's starting center for a backup SF, it didn't necessarily improve them.

Boston could afford to lose ROndo, because he didn't fit the system and what he brings to the table is overblown.  Guys can step in, the offense can adjust and we'll be better off.

Dallas had a system built around spacing and ball movement... they already have one ball-dominating PG.  Adding Rondo has the potential to hurt them.

At the end of the day, Boston will still be a bad team and Dallas will still be a good team.  But I don't see this trade making a significant difference for the Mavs title push.  They could miss the playoffs if they struggle like it appears they should on paper.

I'm with you that adding Rondo to a Dallas team sans Wright is not a move guaranteed to make them better, as it is being made out to be.

However I'm not convinced the stats so far maintaining that the C's are better without Rondo will hold up over a large sample size. Perhaps because my opinion is contaminated by context. Trading Rondo means we'll trade Green and other vets, and then almost certainly be worse.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2014, 09:07:26 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Yes of course they could. A Dirk injury could drop them out of the playoffs, maybe a Tyson injury as well...
That's it. I'm enrolling at my uni's black magic classes. A Chris Paul torn ACL is not a bad idea either.

« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2014, 09:11:55 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Dallas makes the playoffs easily unless they suffer an injury.
They and the Clippers are the teams in the West least equipped to handle a major injury.

Interesting question: If Leonard were out for the year would the Spurs make the  playoffs (other teams all healthy)?  I think they would as the 8th seed.
Oh yes they would...
They've won games with Parker, Gino and Duncan resting.
Having said this, I am a huge fan of Leonard. I'd take him over Melo or Parsons any time.