Author Topic: Could the Mavericks miss the playoffs?  (Read 6749 times)

Re: Could the Mavericks miss the playoffs?
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2014, 01:08:44 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
They should make it .

Dirk us getting long in the tooth tho

Dirk has to maintain energy and his former glory with incredible shooting

If Dirk is only slightly injured or sits too much .....Mavs have little hope in the West

I look for them as 7 or 8th seed

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2014, 01:26:25 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Dallas is 1-2 with Rondo.

They traded away all their depth.

Ainge is a genius.

Of course. Because 1-2 means missing the Playoffs. Guess the Warriors will also miss the Playoffs as they were 1-2 in the last three games.

With all the talent they have, it will take some major injuries for them to drop out of the Playoffs.

Here's the deal, genius. Until Ainge turns all those assets into a player we can build around, he's nothing but.

The Warriors have Curry starting, not Rondo.

Dallas got worse with the trade.

« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2014, 01:29:52 PM »

Offline bleedGREENdon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 29
Trade Jeff green to Phoenix and Sacremento acquires deron Williams, big chance dalls doesn't make the playoffs.

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2014, 01:55:12 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Dallas makes the playoffs easily unless they suffer an injury.
They and the Clippers are the teams in the West least equipped to handle a major injury.

Interesting question:  If Leonard were out for the year would the Spurs make the  playoffs (other teams all healthy)?  I think they would as the 8th seed.

« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2014, 02:00:26 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Ainge is a genius.

Of course. Because 1-2 means missing the Playoffs. Guess the Warriors will also miss the Playoffs as they were 1-2 in the last three games.

With all the talent they have, it will take some major injuries for them to drop out of the Playoffs.

Here's the deal, genius. Until Ainge turns all those assets into a player we can build around, he's nothing but.

The Warriors have Curry starting, not Rondo.

Dallas got worse with the trade.

And you're certain of this after 3 games?
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2014, 02:12:49 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
if Dallas got worse, it follows that we got better.

Silver linings.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2014, 02:25:47 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
There's a sizable chance. Their 20-10 record is deceptive because they haven't beaten any of the top Western teams except for the Spurs' bench. They've played .500 ball the last 10 games. If they play .500 ball the rest of the season and finish 10 games over for the year, that won't cut it. Any trio of SA, OKC, PHO, or NO finishing strong could knock them out. And that's if the Mavs are healthy. If any one starter goes down for the year, no matter who, they're out of it. If Dirk misses even 10-15 games, same. If they don't figure out how to play with Rondo and the offense is still as discombobulated as it's been the last three games, same. It's a real possibility we could have two lottery picks this summer.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2014, 02:34:40 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
I'd say that it's a 50/50 chance that one of the Clippers and Mavs miss the playoffs (likely due to injury and the Suns and Spurs making it)

So, probably a 50/50 chance of having two Lottery picks, but I could also see the Clippers making a run and giving us a really bad pick
I'm bitter.

« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2014, 05:21:39 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429

Ainge is a genius.

Thank God one of the Rondo hater twins checked in on this thread. Danny is a genius and the Celtics are 10-17!

« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2014, 05:23:13 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Totally could miss the playoffs.  As others have illustrated, Rondo has the potential to make them worse.

« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2014, 05:28:54 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Silver linings.
I think this is accurate.  We look better... they look worse.

« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2014, 05:30:20 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429

Silver linings.

Yes, we have looked excellent, going 1-3 since the trade with our victory against an always tough Timberwolves' team.  ::) ::) ::)

« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2014, 05:35:10 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Silver linings.

Yes, we have looked excellent, going 1-3 since the trade with our victory against an always tough Timberwolves' team.  ::) ::) ::)
Yup.. probably would have gone 0-4 with Rondo.  Team is still bad, but it's slightly better.

Seriously, though Vinnie... I love that by the end of this season we will know for certain who was right and who was wrong.  I love Rondo but I've been a longtime believer he was an overrated player who didn't make much of a difference.    There are people who think he's a superstar.   

By the end of this year, we will know for sure.  So far, Boston's offense doesn't seem to be at all impacted by the loss of Rondo.  Sure, we still lost the game, but we aren't noticeably worse.  If anything we are better.  52% shooting, 32 assists, 107 points... another typical close loss.  We haven't missed a beat since moving Rondo.

Alternatively, taking the league's best/most efficient offense and introducing Rondo into it is a wonderful experiment.  We've had thought experiments about this for years about how Rondo couldn't survive in a free-flowing offense... now we get to actually see what happens.  So far, the spacing has suffered, the offense is less efficient and the team looks slightly worse with teh addition of Rondo.  It's yet to be shown whether he can co-exist with Monta. 

It's going to be a fascinating year.   Half of us will be proven wrong and half of us will be proven right.   Should be fun.

« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2014, 05:37:27 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367

Silver linings.

I don't think that's necessarily true.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2014, 05:39:05 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377

Silver linings.

Yup.. probably would have gone 0-4 with Rondo.  Team is still bad, but it's slightly better.

Seriously, though Vinnie... I love that by the end of this season we will know for certain who was right and who was wrong.  I love Rondo but I've been a longtime believer he was an overrated player who didn't make much of a difference.    There are people who think he's a superstar.   

By the end of this year, we will know for sure.  So far, Boston's offense doesn't seem to be at all impacted by the loss of Rondo.  Sure, we still lost the game, but we aren't noticeably worse.  If anything we are better.

Alternatively, taking the league's best/most efficient offense and introducing Rondo into it is a wonderful experiment.  We've had thought experiments about this for years about how Rondo couldn't survive in a free-flowing offense... now we get to actually see what happens.  So far, the spacing has suffered, the offense is less efficient and the team looks slightly worse with teh addition of Rondo.  It's yet to be shown whether he can co-exist with Monta. 

It's going to be a fascinating year.   Half of us will be proven wrong and half of us will be proven right.   Should be fun.

I'm not sure the results will be all that telling. There will be the possibility that both teams suffer, and/or when Green gets traded it will eliminate anything you could consider a control group on our end. Also, there's bound to be many other factors that will contribute to the team's performance.

For the record, I am basically rooting for you to be right, and for the Mavs to crumble, for obvious reasons.