Author Topic: Trade Ideas to get Greg Monroe and Reggie Jackson  (Read 5829 times)

Trade Ideas to get Greg Monroe and Reggie Jackson
« on: December 26, 2014, 10:53:50 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Sullinger, Zeller and the 2015 Clippers pick for
Greg Monroe and Caron Butler (contingent on Monroe signing a long-term deal with the Celts.)

then

Marcus Smart and Jeff Green
for
Reggie Jackson and Kendrick Perkins

Your new lineup

PG-Jackson
SG-Bradley
SF-Butler/Turner
PF-Monroe/Olynyk
C-Perk/Wright.

Pick-up a decent free agent next summer and this could be a playoff team.

Re: Trade Ideas to get Greg Monroe and Reggie Jackson
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2014, 11:02:14 AM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 93
So you're saying you're going to trade a draft pick and our 3 best prospects for a bunch of guys who won't be here next year?

Why exactly would we do that?
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2014, 11:04:52 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I'd much rather we keep our young assets and just make a run at those two as free agents in the off season. If we are going to trade for them now, it should be a deal where we move veterans like Green, Bass, Wright, Thornton, and Jameer for those guys.

Although I don't like your trade, I arm completely on board with targeting these two in free agency/trade
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2014, 11:05:01 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
So you're saying you're going to trade a draft pick and our 3 best prospects for a bunch of guys who won't be here next year?

If you read the post, getting Monroe would be contingent on a long-term extension.

As for Jackson, he's an RFA next year so the Celts would just have to match any offer

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2014, 11:06:15 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
I'd much rather we keep our young assets and just make a run at those two as free agents in the off season. If we are going to trade for them now, it should be a deal where we move veterans like Green, Bass, Wright, Thornton, and Jameer for those guys.

Although I don't like your trade, I arm completely on board with targeting these two in free agency/trade

Only issue there is you're competing with 29 other teams to sign them in free agency.

Also, RJ will be a restricted free agent which means OKC could match any offer.

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2014, 11:10:57 AM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
We just went through this with Rondo. In order to match a teams offer we have to max these guys out. We're talking about a backup point guard and a completely 1 dimensional power forward. They're good players and I would like them on my team. But why would we give up guys we have years of control over so we can overpay 2 role players?
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2014, 11:19:52 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
We just went through this with Rondo. In order to match a teams offer we have to max these guys out. We're talking about a backup point guard and a completely 1 dimensional power forward. They're good players and I would like them on my team. But why would we give up guys we have years of control over so we can overpay 2 role players?

Neither guy is a role player and both guys are starting caliber players.

As for Sully, Green and Zeller, they either don't want to be here, seem unhappy or are one-dimensional like Zeller

I find it funny you call Monroe one-dimensional but don't refer to Zeller as the same thing.

The only real loss is Smart.

For two starting caliber players, I take that risk.

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2014, 11:42:51 AM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
OK I think Monroe is better than Zeller or Sully and realistically will probably be better than the guy we get with the 2015 Clips pick. But why are you giving 3 assets for a guy we have to overpay for anyway?

IMO Jackson just isn't a starting-caliber player. He's just one of those guys who blows up once every 10 games and isn't a high-profile enough guy that people actually notice the 9/10 where he is a Darren Collison clone. I certainly wouldn't give up the guy we tanked for so we can give him the Chandler Parsons contract.
I'm forum!

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2014, 11:46:36 AM »

Offline Depalma2002

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17

If you read the post, getting Monroe would be contingent on a long-term extension.

As for Jackson, he's an RFA next year so the Celts would just have to match any offer

I'm not sure if there are special rules disallowing extensions to the 1-yr qualifying offer so I'm not sure if he is even eligible to be extended.

However, if he is eligible, Salary in the first year of an extenstion is limited to 107.5% of the salary in the final year of the current contract and yearly increases are limited to 7.5%.

In other words he is leaving boatloads of cash on the table. No way he signs an extension if he is even allowed to do. He is going to unrestricted free agency, that is a certainty. No, you can have an unbinding agreement where he tells you that he will resign, but it is just that unbinding. He decides he doesn't want to stay, you can't stop him.

Too much risk.

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2014, 12:27:33 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

I'm not sure if there are special rules disallowing extensions to the 1-yr qualifying offer so I'm not sure if he is even eligible to be extended.

However, if he is eligible, Salary in the first year of an extenstion is limited to 107.5% of the salary in the final year of the current contract and yearly increases are limited to 7.5%.

In other words he is leaving boatloads of cash on the table. No way he signs an extension if he is even allowed to do. He is going to unrestricted free agency, that is a certainty. No, you can have an unbinding agreement where he tells you that he will resign, but it is just that unbinding. He decides he doesn't want to stay, you can't stop him.

Too much risk.

Would we at least have his bird rights for next summer?

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2014, 12:30:18 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
How about we use our picks and try to package it with our long term contracts to clear it up for next year and just sign the two?

At best we get them both or one of them, at worst, we'll have a ton of money open.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2014, 12:33:43 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
As for Sully, Green and Zeller, they either don't want to be here, seem unhappy or are one-dimensional like Zeller

Zeller has been playing well lately, what have you been smoking?

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2014, 12:37:31 PM »

Offline Depalma2002

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17

Too much risk.

Would we at least have his bird rights for next summer?

No. Since he signed the 1 year qualifying offer he can either veto a trade and keep his Bird rights or accept the trade in which case the Bird rights don't transfer.

If we trade for him we will need to resign him as a free agent and we can't exceed the cap to do so. However, now that Rondo's off the books, cap space won't be the issue it would have been pre-Rondo trade.

However, we can't offer him the extra season or the larger yearly increases that we could with Bird rights, so we are on an equal playing field with his other suitors. So, we probably should just go after him in free agency and preferably to arrange a sign and trade with Detroit to preserve the cap space to attempt to add another free agent or to maintain and use our large trade exception.

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2014, 12:46:54 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

Zeller has been playing well lately, what have you been smoking?

Zeller's been good on offense (sometimes) but not so great on defense.

I've been probably been smoking the stuff you smoke that causes you to always replay me rudely.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 01:34:53 PM by gpap »

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2014, 01:10:54 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I lol reading this trade. TP for the excellent joke. -TP for it not actually being a joke.