Author Topic: Wright to Phoenix for Isaiah Thomas (your thoughts?)  (Read 1909 times)

Wright to Phoenix for Isaiah Thomas (your thoughts?)
« on: December 26, 2014, 09:04:01 AM »

Offline ForexPirate

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 19
Phoenix has a problem.  They acquired isaiah thomas when they didn't think that Bledsoe would be staying.  Now they have a glut of point guards that aren't working together

The Celtics could trade wright for IT and solve that problem for them by trading them a really productive PF/Center

I really don't like the Cavs offer of another first round pick, we need to start turning our picks into something.  I'd even throw in a pick because it solves a problem for us.  IT fits out system and can fill it up.  He will open the court for our other shooters

Re: Wright to Phoenix for Isaiah Thomas (your thoughts?)
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2014, 09:31:15 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I'd like that trade but Phoenix intentionally set up that team based around those 3 point guards.  There was a Sports Illustrated article about it a few weeks ago.

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2014, 09:35:01 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I'd rather keep Wright than do that trade.  Thomas is probably a better player, but he isn't a build around type player and the team already has Smart.  If Boston was much closer to competing that trade makes a lot more sense, but doing essentially lateral moves that take up future cap space seems silly to me. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2014, 09:35:31 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
That deal may balance our roster a little better but I am not sure another point guard is what I really want to get for the team.  I think Smart is the PG of the future and then we already have Nelson and Pressey.  Sure, Thomas is an upgrade over Nelson and Pressey and his contract is a pretty good value but what does that really get us?  I guess it is a decent future trade chip.

I really don't like the Cavs offer of another first round pick...

Did I miss something?  Is it known that the Cavs offered a first round pick for Wright?

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2014, 09:38:59 AM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
If this trade was on the table, it'd be completed already. Thomas likely has more value than an expiring.

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2014, 10:02:58 AM »

Offline revtodd64

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 8
I like the idea of Smart and Nelson sharing the point for the remainder of the year.  Nelson may be fading, but he can be a solid veteran mentor for Smart.  I think that is much better for the future than messing up the point guard rotation right now.  If I were trader Danny, I would wait till closer to the trade deadline to see if there was a better value for Wright at a position with need, or to see if Bass or Sullinger can be moved to clear up the logjam at PF. 

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2014, 10:35:19 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
I'm fine with Smart as the PG but also fine if he's the future starting 2, with Avery off the bench.

I like Isaiah Thomas but is he a Brad Stevens kind of guy?  Maybe he his considering Danny called him earlier in the year.

I.T., Smart
Smart, Bradley
James Young, Hollis Jefferson
Oly, Sully
WCS, Zeller

I'd like to get D'Angelo Russel (if not the center of the future) in the draft, though.  IF Smart is the PG we should have a ball-handling 2 guard and Russel handles and passes great.  And he's a scorer.

Smart, Russel
Russel, Bradley
J. Young, Hollis Jefferson
Oly, Bass (resigned....with Sully and picks traded for Hulk)
Hulk, Zeller, Oly

Or:

Smart, J. Nelson
J. Young, Bradley
Stanley Johnson
Oly, B. Portis
Hulk, Zeller, Olly

(Sully and picks traded for Hulk)

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2014, 11:13:25 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
talent wise the concept is fine but I don't want IT for another 3 years when we need Smart to be the PG by next year.  if Smart's not the answer for us, IT certainly isn't either