Author Topic: Nets (12-15) at Celtics (10-16) Game #27 12/26/14  (Read 36689 times)

Re: Nets (12-15) at Celtics (10-16) Game #27 12/26/14
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2014, 12:54:04 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
Two Finals trips and a title a failed era?

I guess the Spurs last four years were a failure too...

Look at what the Heat accomplished. 4 straight finals appearances. Ainge was responsible for keeping the team stacked with talent and instead signed overrated players that they had to beg to come here and drafting the Bill Walkers and Gave Pruitts of the world.

That's why they should have just let KG go and kept the kids at the time. Danny Ainge doesn't know how to draft or build a winner.
I am not a huge Ainge fan myself. But he drafted Smart at 6 (likely to be ROY), Kelly at 13, Rondo and Sullinger at 21. There have been several mistakes, but overall his draft record is well above average.

I like Smart but let's see more games like the one against the Wizards and have him earn a starting spot before we say he's "likely" to be ROY.

Overall I do think Ainge is a great GM though. It wasn't even mentioned but look at how many draft picks we have by trading an aging Pierce and KG to the Nets. Pierce isn't even on the Nets anymore, we used the tpe from that trade to get Zeller for nothing and another pick on top of it.

Those Nets picks are on their way to lotto. 3 years from now we'll be stacked either by trading them or drafting multiple lotto players a year. No one's perfect, but this team is run far better than the majority of NBA teams. We could have Billy King haha...

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2014, 12:54:46 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

Look at what the Heat accomplished. 4 straight finals appearances. Ainge was responsible for keeping the team stacked with talent and instead signed overrated players that they had to beg to come here and drafting the Bill Walkers and Gave Pruitts of the world.
The Heat LBJ/Wade/Bosh team was more successful than KG/Pierce/Allen clearly.

Does that make the Garnett era Celtics a failure to you? Also will you please answer my question are the Spurs a failure the over the last four years?

Spurs: Lost in first round, Lost Conference Finals, Lost in a super close 7 games, won a decisive Finals victory

Of course the Spurs aren't but that's apples to oranges. That core has won a bunch of titles. Putting the Celtics in the same sentence as the Spurs is an insult to Pops. The KG era really wasn't that spectacular.
I'm also insulted every time someone puts the C's in the same sentence with a team that has won eleven titles less. Let me guess... You are in your early twenties, and you became a C's fan the summer KG came to Boston.

« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2014, 12:57:16 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Does that make the Garnett era Celtics a failure to you? Also will you please answer my question are the Spurs a failure the over the last four years?

Spurs: Lost in first round, Lost Conference Finals, Lost in a super close 7 games, won a decisive Finals victory

Of course the Spurs aren't but that's apples to oranges. That core has won a bunch of titles. Putting the Celtics in the same sentence as the Spurs is an insult to Pops. The KG era really wasn't that spectacular.
A professional basketball team built around HoF PF/C apple that plays for Boston = Apple

A professional basketball team built around HoF PF/c that plays for San Antonio over the same time period= Orange

You'll have to explain that logic to me. The KG era was 6 years:
Finals Win, Second Round Loss, Finals Loss, Second Round Loss, ECF Loss, First Round Loss

Go look at the Spurs the past 6 or 7 years, how is it different? How was the KG era a failure? The Duncan "core" won more titles, but they also had Duncan for his entire career and prime. I can accept saying the Spurs run is better due to superior regular seasons and conference, but not that one is a failure and one is a success.

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2014, 12:58:11 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald

That's why they should have just let KG go and kept the kids at the time. Danny Ainge doesn't know how to draft or build a winner.
I am not a huge Ainge fan myself. But he drafted Smart at 6 (likely to be ROY), Kelly at 13, Rondo and Sullinger at 21. There have been several mistakes, but overall his draft record is well above average.

I like Smart but let's see more games like the one against the Wizards and have him earn a starting spot before we say he's "likely" to be ROY.

Overall I do think Ainge is a great GM though. It wasn't even mentioned but look at how many draft picks we have by trading an aging Pierce and KG to the Nets. Pierce isn't even on the Nets anymore, we used the tpe from that trade to get Zeller for nothing and another pick on top of it.

Those Nets picks are on their way to lotto. 3 years from now we'll be stacked either by trading them or drafting multiple lotto players a year. No one's perfect, but this team is run far better than the majority of NBA teams. We could have Billy King haha...
I chose the word likely for a reason  ;D

« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2014, 01:01:45 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald

« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2014, 01:03:02 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

History, to the extent anyone cares about that any more, will be VERY kind to the KG era.  That championship team legitimately deserves mention among the greatest single-season teams in NBA history and but for two knee injuries, it could have been even greater.

Mike

« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2014, 01:04:28 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Love KG

Pure Basketball heart

« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2014, 01:07:26 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 176

History, to the extent anyone cares about that any more, will be VERY kind to the KG era.  That championship team legitimately deserves mention among the greatest single-season teams in NBA history and but for two knee injuries, it could have been even greater.

Mike

They're nowhere even close to mention to single season best teams... Maybe single season turnarounds but they struggled mightily against garbage teams in the playoffs and had 1 less regular season win then the mavericks the season before.
Kg era Celtics underachieved....kobe/pau era Lakers did more for crying out loud

« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2014, 01:07:33 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Mike
Yup, two knee injuries and an elbow imo. Though 2010-2011 would have been an upset even with a healthy Rondo, but he was the matchup the Heat couldn't handle as he proved next year as well. (C's getting past Chicago would have been dicey as well, but doable)

« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2014, 01:10:39 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
They're nowhere even close to mention to single season best teams... Maybe single season turnarounds but they struggled mightily against garbage teams in the playoffs and had 1 less regular season win then the mavericks the season before.
Kg era Celtics underachieved....kobe/pau era Lakers did more for crying out loud
Naw the 07-08 C's and the pre-injury 08-09 C's were two of the best teams in NBA history.

Matchups matter a lot in playoffs, in many ways though Detroit/LA were superor to the Cavs the matchups of LBJ and the Hawks made it tougher for the C's in the playoffs. (Specifically LBJ and Joe Johnson)

Even then that Hawks series was never competitive, not like the Cavs series was.

« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2014, 01:10:40 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
HERE WE GO!

« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2014, 01:13:06 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
James Young in a suit. Booooo.

« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2014, 01:14:15 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
Good D so far  ;D

« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2014, 01:14:20 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Yeah a little disappointing, but they're making it clear he will be playing as long as he works hard in practice/meetings.

So I expect to see him on the court soon.

« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2014, 01:15:54 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
Yeah a little disappointing, but they're making it clear he will be playing as long as he works hard in practice/meetings.

So I expect to see him on the court soon.

Oh it's not the shoulder again? That's good.