Author Topic: Could the Celtics now be a decent team?  (Read 9695 times)

Could the Celtics now be a decent team?
« on: December 25, 2014, 09:07:34 PM »

Online Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
It's tough to say how the Rondo trade will work out.  But if the team's overall play improves because of the new additions, then perhaps the Celtics become one of the better teams in the league. 

I'm not talking decent as in Houston, Memphis or Portland level.  Just decent....neither lottery bound nor contender caliber.  Perhaps, they can continue to catch teams like Washington and Chicago on an off night.  Maybe they will succeed in becoming the 5th best in the Eastern Conference rather than 8th seed.   

Why might this be plausible?  I base this on a few factors. 

1. What happened in the beginning of the year when they threw a scare into or beat a few of the better teams such as; Dallas L 118-113, Toronto L 110-107, Chicago W 106-101, Washington W 101-93.

2.  They have been in the mix for many other games up until the fourth quarter.  And, they seem to be playing better in the fourth as of late. 

3.  More recently there appears to be the emergence of Olynyk and Zeller on the offensive end.

4.  Watching the fourth quarter of the Orlando game gave me the impression the new players (Wright and Crowder) may provide a measure of stability on defense.  This added dimension may throw teams like Washington off kilter.  (just a guess)

5. Nelson does not have Rondo's talent, but he plays within his ability.  The team responded well to him in the fourth quarter.  Was this a fluke or the real deal? 

On the other hand, could this team turn out to be not-so-decent and remind us of one that lost to the second stringers in Miami or the Knicks in Boston?  If they are not so good, then why? 

Re: Could the Celtics now be a decent team?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2014, 09:59:48 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Can't be a decent team without decent players. Still waiting for that to happen.

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2014, 10:05:09 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
good thread and a christmas tp for you. this is an interesting topic and raises some potentially interesting discussions.

as you point out, a number of celtic loses are to good teams and not by a lot of points. this year a number of games were winnable going into the final few minutes, or at least the fourth quarter. to me, some loses were simply a lack of celtic talent. but others were due to execution or inconsistency by players who COULD have made the play.

next...

the celtics are 7th in total offense this year, scoring 103.7 points per game. pretty good for a team with a lot of young kids and no "go to" super star scorer.

the celtics are tied for 26th in defense, however, coughing up 104.3 per game. this is bad and may be less a case of talent in players.

in terms of differential between points scored and points yielded, the celtics are 16th, right in the middle of the pack.

are the celtics, as constituted, better than their record? my quick and dirty point is no, your record is who you are. but under that, a key question is if this young roster played consistently with the current talent, would they at least be a decent team?

my belief is yes. how many games did the celtics lose because of poor starts or poor finishes? consistency is the main devil this year, in terms of not being "decent" as a team.

now if the question is the celtics rising up to championship level, that is a different debate and involves serious star talent.

but if this current celtic team were consistent (and i do include mr. green) this team would be close to .500...decent.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2014, 10:47:46 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
No.

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2014, 11:02:58 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
In the D league

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2014, 11:43:22 PM »

Online Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
good thread and a christmas tp for you. this is an interesting topic and raises some potentially interesting discussions.

as you point out, a number of celtic loses are to good teams and not by a lot of points. this year a number of games were winnable going into the final few minutes, or at least the fourth quarter. to me, some loses were simply a lack of celtic talent. but others were due to execution or inconsistency by players who COULD have made the play.

next...

the celtics are 7th in total offense this year, scoring 103.7 points per game. pretty good for a team with a lot of young kids and no "go to" super star scorer.

the celtics are tied for 26th in defense, however, coughing up 104.3 per game. this is bad and may be less a case of talent in players.

in terms of differential between points scored and points yielded, the celtics are 16th, right in the middle of the pack.

are the celtics, as constituted, better than their record? my quick and dirty point is no, your record is who you are. but under that, a key question is if this young roster played consistently with the current talent, would they at least be a decent team?

my belief is yes. how many games did the celtics lose because of poor starts or poor finishes? consistency is the main devil this year, in terms of not being "decent" as a team.

now if the question is the celtics rising up to championship level, that is a different debate and involves serious star talent.

but if this current celtic team were consistent (and i do include mr. green) this team would be close to .500...decent.

Thank you for the kind words, your added insights to my post and Christmas TP.
A Merry Christmas to you...and a TP from Santa   

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2014, 11:48:02 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
They did have a few 4th quarter games where they were up 20 and blew the lead. That needs to be addressed.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2014, 12:19:31 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I think the trade made us a little bit better.  It's going to take a some time for everyone to get up to speed and for Stevens to settle on rotations, but I think the players we have fit Brad's system better than they did pre-trade.  OUr defense should be improved.  Our spacing should be improved.  We should have an easier time sharing the ball. 

Moving Jeff Green will probably hurt us a bit short-term, though.  Depends who we have pegged to fill his role.  He's pretty overrated as well.  Above-average scorer who does nothing else positive.

Playoffs are a possibility, but probably not.

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2014, 02:29:01 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
No.
Agreed.  Much more likely the Celts go into a major tailspin here until the dust settles. Plus, Sully was a reliable player but has been awful for weeks now. There is not much to be optimistic about, if you ask me.

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2014, 03:00:42 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
No.
Agreed.  Much more likely the Celts go into a major tailspin here until the dust settles. Plus, Sully was a reliable player but has been awful for weeks now. There is not much to be optimistic about, if you ask me.

Sigh.  Ditto.

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2014, 03:02:14 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I think the trade made us a little bit better.  It's going to take a some time for everyone to get up to speed and for Stevens to settle on rotations, but I think the players we have fit Brad's system better than they did pre-trade.  OUr defense should be improved.  Our spacing should be improved.  We should have an easier time sharing the ball. 

Moving Jeff Green will probably hurt us a bit short-term, though.  Depends who we have pegged to fill his role.  He's pretty overrated as well.  Above-average scorer who does nothing else positive.

This is his second year as our coach and we're still waiting for him to establish any semblance of a rotation, lol? ;D Good grief.

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2014, 07:25:11 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

What you wrote feels about right. Still I would like to see what our roster looks like at the end of the trade season. Never forget who our GM is.

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2014, 09:03:50 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Who the hell wants to be decent?  Either be really bad or really good.  Decent sucks.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2014, 09:16:46 AM »

Offline Depalma2002

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17

This is his second year as our coach and we're still waiting for him to establish any semblance of a rotation, lol? ;D Good grief.

Well another way of looking at it is that it is early in his second year as coach and he has already been here longer than over half his roster. Kind of hard to establish a rotation when the pieces are constantly changing.

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2014, 09:33:37 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Moving Rondo kinda unwound the team .

Looking for a new identity, new leader ....etc.

The revolving door of players screws up their rhythm as a team

They really look lost.