Author Topic: Fun time to be a Celtics fan I promise you I havent had a drink yet  (Read 11013 times)

Re: Fun time to be a Celtics fan I promise you I havent had a drink yet
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2014, 08:42:20 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Now DO NOT HAVE A future HOF on the roster.
Probably not (most teams don't) but Smart could be a future HOFer, you never know.  To say we don't cannot be made as a statement of fact, even if it is "probably" true.

We are probably going to need to get lucky in the draft to get our next HOFer, and you can include Smart in that.  We might get lucky with Smart.

But Marcus Smart doesnt have a pull to bring stars to play with him, not yet or not ever, we don't know.

Rondo, despite not playing on par with his elite 2012 version, will still have a pull. It's hard to sign or keep an established star here due to the fact that we're not winning and and he will have very little to no help.

If we want a franchise player, it either has to be luck in the draft or luck in a situation where a star wants out of his current team or a there's a third star in a team who they dont want to pay.

I thought it will be easy to get stars with the assets we have. I thought wrong. We need to be really lucky.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2014, 09:19:34 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Well I've had a lot of drinks and until Rondo says "There was no way on Earth I was coming back to the Celts, even if they offered me the most money" I won't believe he wasn't coming back.

And there's no reason for RR to ever say that now, so I suppose you'll never believe he wasn't coming back. I don't see any proof to believe that Rondo was coming back.

Exactly. We had the most money to offer him. No trade demands on his part. He signed with us before for a reasonable deal. Exactly. I will never believe he wasn't coming back. Given a reasonable offer he would have been back. So would have Perk.

« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2014, 09:36:28 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
Well I've had a lot of drinks and until Rondo says "There was no way on Earth I was coming back to the Celts, even if they offered me the most money" I won't believe he wasn't coming back.

And there's no reason for RR to ever say that now, so I suppose you'll never believe he wasn't coming back. I don't see any proof to believe that Rondo was coming back.

Exactly. We had the most money to offer him. No trade demands on his part. He signed with us before for a reasonable deal. Exactly. I will never believe he wasn't coming back. Given a reasonable offer he would have been back. So would have Perk.

He's not coming back. ;)

Since Danny was in the same building as RR day in and day out and it's his job to know whether or not a player is coming back (and worth the price they're asking), I'll have to trust his judgement rather than inventing hypotheses to fit a pre-established conclusion. It is logical to conclude that either Danny had good reason to believe that Rondo was not coming back or that he didn't want to spend the money it would take to resign Rondo. On the latter, given Rondo's play post-ACL I can't blame him. I wouldn't want to spend max money on a player who is probably not even in the top 10 at his position and no longer a top 50 player in the NBA.

Of course, maybe Danny is just vindictive and has it out for RR. Maybe he has a secret handshake with Rondo who then returns this summer in FA. Maybe Rondo's career is revitalized in Dallas and he returns to his previous form which was worthy of a max deal. Me, I'm a Occam's Razor kind of guy. The simplest solution is often the correct one and thus that wouldn't involve Danny being massively incompetent or somehow out to get Rondo. He moved Rondo because he figured that was the best long-term value he was going to get, which would indicate that he didn't think Rondo was either going to stay or was worth paying to stay. But that's just me - I'm a logical kind of person - and that doesn't prevent anyone else from believing something different.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #33 on: December 25, 2014, 09:38:37 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
While I suggested in another thread that the only Celtic jersey that's appropriate as long as Ainge is still calling the shots would be a custom one that said, "insert name here," haha, my uncle had a much better idea - Velcro names, lol. ;D I can see the commercial now, "have you ever bought your favorite players' jersey, only to see him traded three days later?  Well, fear no more.  You haven't wasted your money.  Simply buy the Velcro add-on available on Celtics.com and attach it yourself," lol!  Numbers sold seperately...;) ;D

« Reply #34 on: December 25, 2014, 09:46:24 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

He's not coming back. ;)

Since Danny was in the same building as RR day in and day out and it's his job to know whether or not a player is coming back (and worth the price they're asking), I'll have to trust his judgement rather than inventing hypotheses to fit a pre-established conclusion. It is logical to conclude that either Danny had good reason to believe that Rondo was not coming back or that he didn't want to spend the money it would take to resign Rondo. On the latter, given Rondo's play post-ACL I can't blame him. I wouldn't want to spend max money on a player who is probably not even in the top 10 at his position and no longer a top 50 player in the NBA.

Of course, maybe Danny is just vindictive and has it out for RR. Maybe he has a secret handshake with Rondo who then returns this summer in FA. Maybe Rondo's career is revitalized in Dallas and he returns to his previous form which was worthy of a max deal. Me, I'm a Occam's Razor kind of guy. The simplest solution is often the correct one and thus that wouldn't involve Danny being massively incompetent or somehow out to get Rondo. He moved Rondo because he figured that was the best long-term value he was going to get, which would indicate that he didn't think Rondo was either going to stay or was worth paying to stay. But that's just me - I'm a logical kind of person - and that doesn't prevent anyone else from believing something different.
It was clear Rondo was going to go to free agency. That's when we offer him more than anyone else can offer him because we have his bird rights. Then see what others offer and see if he takes less money and years.
If Danny wanted to not offer any money to the assist and pg rebound leader and good defender in favor of a rookie pg who looks a lot more like Marcus Banks than D Wade....well then in that case in Danny I don't trust.

« Reply #35 on: December 25, 2014, 09:48:07 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja

He's not coming back. ;)

granath, good post and a tp. i agree with the bolded part above in particular. for ainge, having rondo back was probably a preferred option. but always he needs to ask - at what price? rondo's belief in his worth was at odds with ainge's assessment of his worth. rondo is not worth max salary and ainge was not going to pay it, or probably close to it.

as you say, ainge believed he had a very good idea of rondo's price and decided rondo was not worth it.

final note since you appear to be a rather new poster, when exchanging opinions with eja on the topic of rondo, don't look for any shifts in emotional preferences or conclusions.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #36 on: December 25, 2014, 09:49:06 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
Now DO NOT HAVE A future HOF on the roster.
Probably not (most teams don't) but Smart could be a future HOFer, you never know.  To say we don't cannot be made as a statement of fact, even if it is "probably" true.

We are probably going to need to get lucky in the draft to get our next HOFer, and you can include Smart in that.  We might get lucky with Smart.

But Marcus Smart doesnt have a pull to bring stars to play with him, not yet or not ever, we don't know.

Rondo, despite not playing on par with his elite 2012 version, will still have a pull. It's hard to sign or keep an established star here due to the fact that we're not winning and and he will have very little to no help.

If we want a franchise player, it either has to be luck in the draft or luck in a situation where a star wants out of his current team or a there's a third star in a team who they dont want to pay.

I thought it will be easy to get stars with the assets we have. I thought wrong. We need to be really lucky.

I know that he's hardly a franchise player, but does the waiving of Josh Smith meet such criteria?  Rondo and Smith?  Meh, we still wouldn't have gone anywhere.  Sigh.

« Reply #37 on: December 25, 2014, 09:52:03 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

He's not coming back. ;)

granath, good post and a tp. i agree with the bolded part above in particular. for ainge, having rondo back was probably a preferred option. but always he needs to ask - at what price? rondo's belief in his worth was at odds with ainge's assessment of his worth. rondo is not worth max salary and ainge was not going to pay it, or probably close to it.

as you say, ainge believed he had a very good idea of rondo's price and decided rondo was not worth it.

final note since you appear to be a rather new poster, when exchanging opinions with eja on the topic of rondo, don't look for any shifts in emotional preferences or conclusions.  ;D
It's just that I'm right and the whole rest of the world is wrong

« Reply #38 on: December 25, 2014, 10:03:57 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567

He's not coming back. ;)

It was clear Rondo was going to go to free agency. That's when we offer him more than anyone else can offer him because we have his bird rights. Then see what others offer and see if he takes less money and years.
If Danny wanted to not offer any money to the assist and pg rebound leader and good defender in favor of a rookie pg who looks a lot more like Marcus Banks than D Wade....well then in that case in Danny I don't trust.

So the Cs have his Bird rights. Big deal.

If Rondo wanted to go elsewhere, he would just force a trade much like Lebron just did from Miami. What'd they get? Two really low first round picks and a trade exception. What did Danny just get? A role player, a 1st round pick that projects to be better than the Cleveland pick and a trade exception. So when you look at what Miami got for the best player in the NBA versus what the Celtics got for Rondo, Danny looks like he swung a pretty good deal. That deal would be worse during this summer if Rondo decided to walk.

So if it is clear Rondo was going to FA and your plan is that you have to pay him the highest dollar value PLUS hope he doesn't force a trade, that's a pretty crappy plan IMO. Seriously, thank you for proving my point for me.

As far as his play, Rondo still does a great job of assists and rebounds but the negatives now start to really cut into the positives. There's a reason the Cs haven't played as well with Rondo on the court for 3 years now. His defense has been pretty lackluster by every single measurable statistic. His shooting is so bad it's pathetic. He's become such a liability from the line that 'hack a Rondo" has become a viable strategy. His play in the 4th quarter of close games has become atrocious. His assist to turnover ratio is going the wrong way in both directions - assists are down, turnovers are up. He doesn't get to the line even half as much as he did early in his career. PERs down, VORPs down, ORtg - DRtg is negative for the first time in his career. The list goes on and on.

Yes, Rondo is a master of creating points. But he's giving up a ton of points too - defensively, turnovers and his shooting all cost his team points. That doesn't mean he's a bad player, but he's not elite. As has been pointed out on this very blog, it's fairly easy to name 10 PGs who are playing better than Rajon Rondo right now. So now if the plan is to offer the most money AND hope he doesn't force a trade all for a player who isn't even all that great anymore (or you're banking on him to dramatically improve even though he's almost two years out from the ACL injury now), the plan outright sucks in my opinion. I'd much rather have the birds in hand - a 1st round pick, a role player with value and a TPE that everyone in the league is drooling over.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #39 on: December 25, 2014, 10:10:08 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja

He's not coming back. ;)

ha, ha...good one eja. my mistake. and a tp for christmas.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #40 on: December 25, 2014, 10:11:54 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

He's not coming back. ;)

If Rondo wanted to go elsewhere, he would just force a trade much like Lebron just did from Miami. What'd they get? Two really low first round picks and a trade exception. What did Danny just get? A role player, a 1st round pick that projects to be better than the Cleveland pick and a trade exception. So when you look at what Miami got for the best player in the NBA versus what the Celtics got for Rondo, Danny looks like he swung a pretty good deal. That deal would be worse during this summer if Rondo decided to walk.

So if it is clear Rondo was going to FA and your plan is that you have to pay him the highest dollar value PLUS hope he doesn't force a trade, that's a pretty crappy plan IMO. Seriously, thank you for proving my point for me.

As far as his play, Rondo still does a great job of assists and rebounds but the negatives now start to really cut into the positives. There's a reason the Cs haven't played as well with Rondo on the court for 3 years now. His defense has been pretty lackluster by every single measurable statistic. His shooting is so bad it's pathetic. He's become such a liability from the line that 'hack a Rondo" has become a viable strategy. His play in the 4th quarter of close games has become atrocious. His assist to turnover ratio is going the wrong way in both directions - assists are down, turnovers are up. He doesn't get to the line even half as much as he did early in his career. PERs down, VORPs down, ORtg - DRtg is negative for the first time in his career. The list goes on and on.

Yes, Rondo is a master of creating points. But he's giving up a ton of points too - defensively, turnovers and his shooting all cost his team points. That doesn't mean he's a bad player, but he's not elite. As has been pointed out on this very blog, it's fairly easy to name 10 PGs who are playing better than Rajon Rondo right now. So now if the plan is to offer the most money AND hope he doesn't force a trade all for a player who isn't even all that great anymore (or you're banking on him to dramatically improve even though he's almost two years out from the ACL injury now), the plan outright sucks in my opinion. I'd much rather have the birds in hand - a 1st round pick, a role player with value and a TPE that everyone in the league is drooling over.
Rondo wasn't going to force a trade. He would have done that by now.
If you want to find ten guys that you think could make this team better in a trade straight up go for it, but none of them is named Marcus Smart and none of the others were coming here.
Yes. Bird rights are a big deal. That's the whole point of Bird rights.
If he was so horrid then you wouldn't have to pay that much to keep him. Was it you that said you were logical? Someone around here said they were logical. Is the logic that he's just terrible but someone was going to offer him a lot of money? Not very logical.
Danny didn't get any role players from that trade. He got crud players, the best of which is a free agent....just like Rondo. And in that world that means he won't be back. Because it's just impossible to sign your own free agents.
A first rounder is a bird in the hand now? As opposed to Rondo who was in our hand? What like JR Giddens? Or Fab Melo? Which one was the bird in hand there?

« Reply #41 on: December 25, 2014, 10:14:29 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

He's not coming back. ;)

Riiiiggghhht. That's how free agency works. You sign them. After you sign them they don't try to force a trade. Because otherwise they wouldn't sign with you. Um. Yeah.

« Reply #42 on: December 25, 2014, 10:53:11 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545

Hey, that's my job!
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #43 on: December 26, 2014, 02:55:59 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
TP for celticpride1 for the title of this thread, lol. ;D

« Reply #44 on: December 26, 2014, 03:06:11 AM »

Online Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Rondo was gone unless he got more $ from C's than the market. That isnt wanting to stay it is wanting most $ so no thanks.  He couldn't get Love to come here.  He couldn't get Smith to go to Dallas. Rondo is overated as a player and as a recruiter. You don't pay max money to a guy like that EVER.