Author Topic: Fun time to be a Celtics fan I promise you I havent had a drink yet  (Read 11018 times)

Re: Fun time to be a Celtics fan I promise you I havent had a drink yet
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2014, 03:39:27 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
Now DO NOT HAVE A future HOF on the roster.
Probably not (most teams don't) but Smart could be a future HOFer, you never know.  To say we don't cannot be made as a statement of fact, even if it is "probably" true.

We are probably going to need to get lucky in the draft to get our next HOFer, and you can include Smart in that.  We might get lucky with Smart.

« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2014, 04:06:08 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
I see very little to be excited about. I believe Danny doing the best that's possible.  I sure don't blame him.  I think Brad Stevens is a blessing.  If we ever get out of this hole it'll have to involve a lot of Leprechaun Magic.

Marcus Smart
James Young
Kelly Olynyk

That's a start.

« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2014, 04:22:28 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Shoot dude, it's a holiday, you're already supposed to be drinking.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2014, 04:25:37 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Anyone calling Smart, Banks 2.0 only sounds like a troll. Do they realize Smart was likely a top 2 pick if he came out his freshman year? Do they realize Banks was smaller, had less shooting, less leadership, less defense, less passing, less basketball iq, less rebounding, more TO prone, and was older when drafted than Smart? Get over Rondo being gone it's not Smart's fault. Rondo didn't want to be here.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 04:54:14 PM by Csfan1984 »

« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2014, 06:09:02 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
I love the optimism. I think there is no rebuilding team I would rather be a fan of. We have draft picks, young talent and a hard working general manager.

Smart looks like he has a bright future ahead of him. Judging him harshly, after 13 games into his rookie season at the age of 20 doesn't make sense.

The Marcus Banks comparisons are truly terrible. They only thing they have in common is a first name (I was going to include size as a commonality but Banks was 6'2 200, and Smart is 6'4 220, which is a big difference) Banks was a drive first pg, that struggled with his shot, running the offense or doing anything but putting his head down and getting to the hoop. Thus far the Smart has been an excellent defender, very good passer and the ability to hit high pressure shots. So far Smart has yet to exhibit the willingness to consistently get to the bucket while that was all Banks could do.
I could not agree more. Smart is already a very good defender + he hustles a lot.
And has plenty of time to improve his offensive game. Based on what he has showed so far, he will probably never become an elite scorer, but he can be a threat alright  ;D
The great thing for me is his attitude. From what I've seen in the games, he's the PG every trainer would dream to have: obedient yet courageous, selfless, hard working and leading with his example. In short, a good fighter  ;D

« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2014, 06:47:58 PM »

Offline Kadin

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 29
Nah it's a pretty bad time to be a Celtics fan. The team stinks. No other way to put it. The sooner they compete again, the better.. *then* it will be a good time to be a C's fan.

« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2014, 07:25:56 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I think it's a great time to be a Celtic fan.

Six first round picks in the next two years.
Whoop de doo

« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2014, 07:27:12 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
The half hearted rebuild last year cost the Celtics a good pick and instead we get Marcus Banks 2.0. In order to do it right everyone needs to go. Blow it up!
Kind of a mean thing to say about Marcus Banks. He lasted in the league for a while.

« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2014, 07:28:50 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
First of all I want to say Merry Christmas to all of you hope you have a great year ahead and enjoy time with your family.

The title of this is yes we all got spoiled with Garnett Pierce Allen Rondo team for 6 years. Rondo wasn't going to resign with us in the offseason. Danny tried to get Love in the offseason it didn't work out so he had to go to a plan B and that was fully fledge rebuild. So that meant trading Rondo. Now as many fans hate the fact that the last piece of that title team was dealt they feel Danny lets us down. Do you actually think he didn't try and get a Superstar to pair with Rondo? It didn't work so he had to do what was best for the future of this team. We have plenty of picks and ammo to use this summer. Danny will trade away more players and will use those picks to trade for players. I know this is a tough time to be a Celtic fan but we are so young and have such a bright future ahead of us. Look at the Knicks and Lakers. In closing I just want all fans to sit back and enjoy the ride this team will be on for the next 15 years. Bright times are ahead I promise.
Well I've had a lot of drinks and until Rondo says "There was no way on Earth I was coming back to the Celts, even if they offered me the most money" I won't believe he wasn't coming back.

« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2014, 07:29:23 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Just give me a beer and a few more draft picks and trade exceptions and I am golden.

« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2014, 07:32:27 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
Just give me a beer and a few more draft picks and trade exceptions and I am golden.
Don't know whether they'll be enough beer for all of us, but as for the other two you you can rest assured.

« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2014, 07:40:02 PM »

Offline erisred

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
I still want to see Smart, Turner, Young, Olynyk, and Sullinger play together.
For me it's Smart, Turner, Young, Olynyk, and Zeller!

« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2014, 07:58:59 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
I still want to see Smart, Turner Zeller, Young, Olynyk, and Sullinger play together.
Fixed it  ;D
Not that these five should play together, but (assuming they'll still be around at the end of the trade season) they are IMO the ones with the greatest upside. Turner is OK too, especially considering his contract, but the League is full with players with a similar set of skills. 

« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2014, 08:04:02 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Don't know whether they'll be enough beer for all of us, but as for the other two you you can rest assured.

Lol

« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2014, 08:05:47 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
Well I've had a lot of drinks and until Rondo says "There was no way on Earth I was coming back to the Celts, even if they offered me the most money" I won't believe he wasn't coming back.

And there's no reason for RR to ever say that now, so I suppose you'll never believe he wasn't coming back. I don't see any proof to believe that Rondo was coming back.

---

Personally, I agree with the OP. It is a fun time.

I like the young kids. I (generally) like their hustle, their never-say-die attitude, their desire to get better. Guys like Olynyk, Zeller, Smart and even Bradley have their warts, but they're true professionals and you see them play hard (the only one I'm hesitant to say that about is Sullinger). They're young and they're probably not superstars, but they can fill substantial roles on this team and quite a few others. Other guys like Bass and Crash are veterans who lead by example. Great veteran pros, even if their games are limited (Bass) or about over (Crash). In short, I like these guys.

Then there's the prospect of the future. There are so many tradeable assets that while the above group may not be able to win on their own, they won't be on their own for long. Picks will be traded / combined. The Cs have so many bites at the rebuilding apple - perhaps more than any team in history - that it's fun to see how things turn out. It's frustrating to watch them lose, but I haven't lost hope and won't for quite some time because unlike some teams with little chance of changing their fortunes, the Cs have have so many different avenues to do it that it's going to be fun to see how it all turns out.

Unless we hire Rick Pitino again. If they do that, I'm out. Watching Joe Johnson and Chauncey Billiups get traded hurt enough the first time.  :)

(Not sure which deal was worse. We gave up Johnson [6 time all star) AND a 1st for Rodney Rogers - who was 2 months away from being a FA - and Tony Delk. We gave up Billups [5 time all star] for Kenny Anderson. Ouch!)
« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 08:11:27 PM by Granath »
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.