Author Topic: BS Report: Lowe on Rondo  (Read 39520 times)

Re: BS Report: Lowe on Rondo
« Reply #105 on: December 26, 2014, 09:59:11 PM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
The idea that Teague or Conley are better than Rondo is insane. Rondo is on the level of Lillard and Lowry. He wasn't Chris Paul before the trade and he isn't DJ Augustin now.

It depends on what you value from a PG.  If you want passing, the choice is Rondo.  If you want a PG who can score, then it's Teague or Conley. 
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

« Reply #106 on: December 26, 2014, 10:02:33 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
The idea that Teague or Conley are better than Rondo is insane. Rondo is on the level of Lillard and Lowry. He wasn't Chris Paul before the trade and he isn't DJ Augustin now.

All Mike Conley does is play well above average defense with 17.9/6.1/3.0 shooting .459/.404/.858 and running the offense for a title contender. He'd fit in on any team. He's same age as rondo and signed 1 more year for 9.7 million.

Teague gives you a 16.5/7.0/2.5 with a .472/.368/.875 on a 21-8 team. He had a slow career start, but he is excellent now. He's signed for 8 million per year for the 2 seasons after this one.

Certainly neither Atlanta nor Memphis would have traded their starting PG straight up for Rondo, either when Rondo was traded this year or even this past offseason.

« Reply #107 on: December 26, 2014, 10:02:46 PM »

Offline piercetruth34

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 20

It depends on what you value from a PG.  If you want passing, the choice is Rondo.  If you want a PG who can score, then it's Teague or Conley.

Weird thing is DA would have traded Rondo for Chris Paul or this and what we have.  So that's pretty much it.  I'm not sure I'd put Teague or Conley in Smart's class ultimately though.  I think Smart is going to be better and I really like Teague and Conley.  Plus we got some nice potential roleplayers and a 1st round pick.

Scratch that though DA "would have" traded Rondo for Paul. He made a call for Chris Paul at one point.

Rondo is still an awesome pg.  It's all how it fits. I still put him as Bob Cousy and to me if that's what we are trying to do he is as good as anyone.  It's all relative.

It's also why Ainge is not stupid and explores trades and isn't going to trade for the sake of it regardless of who it is.  He wouldn't trade Pierce for Lebron if it doesn't fit.  He explored trading rondo for  years and didn't pull the trigger until he found something that fit.

Red actually scoffed at Cousy at first and then made him the pg that won 8 championships in a row.  Rondo Is full circle to me and like the opposite.  Timing has a lot to do with it.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 10:16:06 PM by piercetruth34 »

« Reply #108 on: December 26, 2014, 10:12:48 PM »

Offline inverselock

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 44

And if Rondo played with the same defensive effort as Smart, the love for him in this forum would have been neverending, no matter how poorly he shot from the field.

Mike

His 4 years on all defense teams show the opposite to be the case. There was very little differentiation between the criticisms of his defense last year and the years he was first team all-defense. And there was no difference in the type or number of complaints about his shooting.
Agreed. Bill Russell's fg and ft% was horrid. If he had played in the Celtics Blog era people would have continually called for trading him.

Please explain how Rondo is on the same level as Bill Russell.
No. You explain it. Why should I explain something I didn't say?

I was being facetious.

Don't bring up stats of completely different players to defend Rondo.  Try a similar player.  Apples to apples.

« Reply #109 on: December 26, 2014, 10:19:33 PM »

Offline piercetruth34

• Derrick White
Rondo and Smart are better than Teague and Conley.  They are both Celtics.  Teague and Conley aren't.

I think there is truth to that too.  You put years into developing players and they wear the green that increases their value. They should be more valuable to us than other teams.

« Reply #110 on: December 26, 2014, 10:40:45 PM »

Offline Al91

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 18
Mavs look like they're about to go 2-2 with Rondo tonight.

Waiting for Rondo haters to dissect this one and undoubtedly point to the W only the result of playing the Lakers...probably the same members who will ignore how bad the Mavs defense was before Rondo and still is with Rondo, and the fact that the Lakers beat the league's best team and stayed competitive on Christmas.
Long-form is far from dead, but please refrain from paragraph-laden posts! Who wants to read that?!

« Reply #111 on: December 26, 2014, 10:45:12 PM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
Rondo and Smart are better than Teague and Conley.  They are both Celtics.  Teague and Conley aren't.

I think there is truth to that too.  You put years into developing players and they wear the green that increases their value. They should be more valuable to us than other teams.

What?!?! 
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

« Reply #112 on: December 26, 2014, 10:58:02 PM »

Offline piercetruth34

• Derrick White

What?!?!

They should be valuable to us.  Not every team.  If we make a trade we should get value and that player should be valuable to them.  Make sense?  Same goes for Rondo too there should be some value in him going somewhere else.  Trades aren't simple just trade this guy here or there.

The same goes for Smart.  If we are building with Smart there is no sense in trading him.  That is his value to us.

If some team offers us Teague or Conley for smart I'm not jumping at that trade.  Smart is  better.  He's younger.  He fits what we are trying to do.  Everything is not face value.  Smart barring injury is going to be better than those guys anyways.  He's better.

If someone tells me Teague or Conley is better not true.  Obviously potential but Smart is better.

That's my genius and ability to understand things though.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 11:06:13 PM by piercetruth34 »

« Reply #113 on: December 26, 2014, 11:12:19 PM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum

What?!?!

They should be valuable to us.  Not every team.  If we make a trade we should get value and that player should be valuable to them.  Make sense?  Same goes for Rondo too there should be some value in him going somewhere else.  Trades aren't simple just trade this guy here or there.

The same goes for Smart.  If we are building with Smart there is no sense in trading him.  That is his value to us.

If some team offers us Teague or Conley for smart I'm not jumping at that trade.  Smart is  better.  He's younger.  He fits what we are trying to do.  Everything is not face value.  Smart barring injury is going to be better than those guys anyways.  He's better.

If someone tells me Teague or Conley is better not true.  Obviously potential but Smart is better.

I must not be a genius like you because I don't understand how you can say that Smart is better than Teague or Conley.  It's way too early to say that but, since you have such an uncanny ability to understand things, I'm sure you are right. 

« Reply #114 on: December 26, 2014, 11:13:26 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460

Waiting for Rondo haters to dissect this one and undoubtedly point to the W only the result of playing the Lakers...probably the same members who will ignore how bad the Mavs defense was before Rondo and still is with Rondo, and the fact that the Lakers beat the league's best team and stayed competitive on Christmas.

The Mavs barely beat the Lakers without Kobe.
The Lakers grabbed 63 rebounds.

« Reply #115 on: December 26, 2014, 11:14:57 PM »

Offline piercetruth34

• Derrick White

What?!?!

I must not be a genius like you because I don't understand how you can say that Smart is better than Teague or Conley.  It's way too early to say that but, since you have such an uncanny ability to understand things, I'm sure you are right.

Smart is a rookie. Time will tell.  Conley and Teaque are better right now.  Depending on how long Smart takes and what his ceiling is it's a good debate.  It also depends on when this team is going to be ready to actually win some games.  We do need a pg.  Smart is not playing like one right now.

The question to me is is Smart going to be Mark Jackson or is he better than that.  I could see Smart being traded if that is the case.  I could also see him being traded in other scenarios if we want to win sooner rather than later. It depends.  More talking in theory anyways.

I don't think Smart is being traded tomorrow. I tend to think the Celtics are committed to him  for the time being, but time will tell.

Ainge usually just takes who he feels is the bpa for the Celtics anyways but he does take into account how it fits too.

I am right in that regard anyways.. Smart has also shown he has some really good potential.

I think Smart is going be better than  both those guys. He has to prove it but from what I've seen I think he will be.  I think I'm right there too.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 11:43:14 PM by piercetruth34 »

« Reply #116 on: December 26, 2014, 11:26:22 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429

It was Rondo's fault that the Lakers got those 63 rebounds. Man, that guy stinks. 21 points on 10-17 shooting with 8 rebounds and 7 assists. The guy is terrible. What a horrible trade. We got the better of the trade. Brandan Right is the best PER big man in the history of the league. Rondo stinks. Jae Crowder has better hair than Rondo and his number is twice as good as Rondo's. Because the Mavs barely won tonight, I don't think they get credit for the victory. FYI, the Mavs were up by like 15 with about 4 minutes left when the Lakers hit a barrage of threes. Other than missing his two free throws (he really needs to get that fixed), Rondo was clearly the best Mav on the floor tonight.

« Reply #117 on: December 26, 2014, 11:34:28 PM »

Offline inverselock

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 44

It was Rondo's fault that the Lakers got those 63 rebounds. Man, that guy stinks. 21 points on 10-17 shooting with 8 rebounds and 7 assists. The guy is terrible. What a horrible trade. We got the better of the trade. Brandan Right is the best PER big man in the history of the league. Rondo stinks. Jae Crowder has better hair than Rondo and his number is twice as good as Rondo's. Because the Mavs barely won tonight, I don't think they get credit for the victory. FYI, the Mavs were up by like 15 with about 4 minutes left when the Lakers hit a barrage of threes. Other than missing his two free throws (he really needs to get that fixed), Rondo was clearly the best Mav on the floor tonight.

How many times in 22 games did he do that for the C's this year?

« Reply #118 on: December 26, 2014, 11:39:52 PM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum

The only thing worse than the Rondo bashing is the Rondo is the greatest Celtic ever lovefest.  W T F

Ainge traded Rondo for whatever reason.  Rondo is a very good PG who is now part of a very good Mavs team that will compete for a title.  The C's got a couple of players, a pick, and a trade exception...time will tell if any of it is valuable to the C's.  End of story.  Is there going to be a bunch of pro/con Rondo posts after every Mav game through the end of the year?  Get over it and move on.

« Reply #119 on: December 27, 2014, 12:06:27 AM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
The only thing worse than the Rondo bashing is the Rondo is the greatest Celtic ever lovefest.

This. TP. I joined CB about two years ago but didn't really start posting frequently until the trade deadline last year. When I first joined the Rondo hate was out of control. I never was the biggest fan of Rondo and wanted to trade him but some of the stuff being said about him was absurd.

A few months later though, right around when the Love sweepstakes started, the Rondo haters met their match: the Rondo adorers.

Rondo fans who complain about the amount of "Rondo hate" on here remind me of Sox fans who complain about the Yankees' spending habits. Someone on this site a few weeks ago (forget who) tried to argue that Rondo was better than Steph Curry. That's as absurd as anything a Rondo hater says.

Give it up. You're all insane.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/