Author Topic: BS Report: Lowe on Rondo  (Read 39515 times)

Re: BS Report: Lowe on Rondo
« Reply #60 on: December 26, 2014, 09:02:30 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Zach looks as though he has played quite a few years of bball. Right? Nah... so why is he an expert? Writing crime-crap journalism for like 10 years, and knowing people in the NBA, doesn't make you a bball expert. I'd bet my mom can break down a Cs game better than him (seriously).
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #61 on: December 26, 2014, 09:20:35 AM »

Offline GreenGoggles

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 76
Zach looks as though he has played quite a few years of bball. Right? Nah... so why is he an expert? Writing crime-crap journalism for like 10 years, and knowing people in the NBA, doesn't make you a bball expert. I'd bet my mom can break down a Cs game better than him (seriously).

I find him to be pretty knowledgeable and while he has his opinions, I do think he does his best to be unbiased.

« Reply #62 on: December 26, 2014, 09:43:22 AM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 93
I don't agree with this particular take, but Zach Lowe is an awesome basketball writer. You don't need to be Bill Russel to know about basketball. You just need to have eyes and a brain and use them a lot.

These are some of my favorite basketball articles I've read:

http://grantland.com/features/a-team-grows-in-brooklyn/
http://grantland.com/the-triangle/how-the-spurs-attacked-the-heat-last-year-and-what-other-teams-can-learn-from-it/
http://grantland.com/features/the-washington-school-of-witchcraft-and-wizardry/
http://grantland.com/features/why-not-the-warriors/
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!

« Reply #63 on: December 26, 2014, 10:09:08 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

That's what it's all about. You only know basketball if you played at a high level. So what about Presti, Buford, and Morey?

« Reply #64 on: December 26, 2014, 10:48:42 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

More partial to the normal ESPN model of former athletes spouting platitudes and nonsense, are we?
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #65 on: December 26, 2014, 11:00:55 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Lowe gets information from gms, and breaks down a lot of film. He goes in depth into the plays/actions teams run. There is no Celtics specific reporter that could break down a game better than Lowe. You need to start reading his stuff and listening to his podcast if you think he doesn't know how to break down a game.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #66 on: December 26, 2014, 01:48:45 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

That's the sort of reasoning that some people use to claim that you have to have played in the NBA to understand players and be a good NBA coach.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #67 on: December 26, 2014, 01:55:11 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

That's the sort of reasoning that some people use to claim that you have to have played in the NBA to understand players and be a good NBA coach.

Cosigned, VDN
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #68 on: December 26, 2014, 03:57:49 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

More partial to the normal ESPN model of former athletes spouting platitudes and nonsense, are we?

I think Jalen Rose knows a lot more about basketball than Lowe. Do you not?
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #69 on: December 26, 2014, 04:00:26 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

I think Jalen Rose has some insight into aspects of the NBA (and the NCAA, for that matter) that Zach Lowe doesn't, by virtue of being a former player. I'm not sure that extends out to an ability to more deftly diagram a play, for example.

I also think there are some aspects to the dumb jock stereotype that hold true, and I think that's certainly the case with many ESPN 'analysts'. Some of them were great players, but most of them are subpar writers and (separately) offer dubious analysis. I respect Tommy immensely as a player and a coach, but I'm not sure that 'push the pace' and 'run more' are the only two things the Celtics can do better in a given game, as another example.

« Reply #70 on: December 26, 2014, 04:09:13 PM »

Offline ChainSmokingLikeDino

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 96

I do not.
He may possess more first hand knowledge of aspects of the NBA but having listened/read to what both have to say, no, I think Zach Lowe knows more about basketball.

The obvious caveat is that if you prioritize  such knowledge as how players relate to each other, the day in day out of NBA life, etc, well, obviously Jalen knows more about these things than Zach. And I am not saying Jalen knows nothing, of course he doesn't, but as far as how teams run sets, defensive schemes, rotations, etc I have routinely found Zach Lowe to have greater insight and knowledge.

Experiential knowledge, while valuable and possessing of its own importance, is not inherently greater than acquired knowledge.

The whole "you didn't play so you can't know more/have an opinion" is an old canard.

« Reply #71 on: December 26, 2014, 05:13:04 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
The usual Anti-Rondo crowd.

If I wasn't enjoying my Christmas, I'd come up with some easy rebuttals for this thread and the "BS Report" which is aptly named.

But Merry Christmas, ya'll.

Merry Christmas to you too.

However, why is this anti-Rondo? Lowe is knowledgeable and I wanted to share his thoughts. Too many times anytime something negative is said about Rondo it turns into "hating" or "Anti-Rondo". Why? Is there anything that Lowe said that you can say isn't true?

Rondo used to be an incredible player. He's not now.
Some people can't accept that.
Yup. Just another horrid player that just happens to lead the league in assists and his position at rebs. That's all

Nobody has said Rondo is a "horrid" player at all. He's just severely overrated on this blog because people keep holding onto what he was 3 years ago.

He was absolutely incredible in that Heat series but injuries and age change those things. Rondo has simply hit his ceiling and this was a while ago, he has not made any real improvements in other aspects of his game. Meanwhile how far has steph curry come since the Rondo of 3 years ago?

If he is truely one of the best PG's in the league why won't he make the all-star game this year? Will he even make one again?

In the west...Cp3, Curry and Westbrook have this on lock. Lillard is clearly next in line....

Rondo is an elite passer and great rebounder for his position. However for TODAYS league, he simply isn't a complete pg there are too many holes. Especially for one that is commanding a max contract.

I'm not slamming Rondo at all, however these points are ones that I have thought about when deciding whether or not I wanted to keep him at Max extension or not. I hope the Rondo stans can do the same.

He is leading the league in assists and rebounds for all guards THIS YEAR. Not three years ago, THIS YEAR. If Rondo put up the stat line Marcus Smart put up today, people would be all over him. Yet, I am reading posts talking about how well Smart played. Give me a break.

« Reply #72 on: December 26, 2014, 05:31:17 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

If I wasn't enjoying my Christmas, I'd come up with some easy rebuttals for this thread and the "BS Report" which is aptly named.

However, why is this anti-Rondo? Lowe is knowledgeable and I wanted to share his thoughts. Too many times anytime something negative is said about Rondo it turns into "hating" or "Anti-Rondo". Why? Is there anything that Lowe said that you can say isn't true?

Yup. Just another horrid player that just happens to lead the league in assists and his position at rebs. That's all

Nobody has said Rondo is a "horrid" player at all. He's just severely overrated on this blog because people keep holding onto what he was 3 years ago.

He was absolutely incredible in that Heat series but injuries and age change those things. Rondo has simply hit his ceiling and this was a while ago, he has not made any real improvements in other aspects of his game. Meanwhile how far has steph curry come since the Rondo of 3 years ago?

If he is truely one of the best PG's in the league why won't he make the all-star game this year? Will he even make one again?

In the west...Cp3, Curry and Westbrook have this on lock. Lillard is clearly next in line....

Rondo is an elite passer and great rebounder for his position. However for TODAYS league, he simply isn't a complete pg there are too many holes. Especially for one that is commanding a max contract.

I'm not slamming Rondo at all, however these points are ones that I have thought about when deciding whether or not I wanted to keep him at Max extension or not. I hope the Rondo stans can do the same.

He is leading the league in assists and rebounds for all guards THIS YEAR. Not three years ago, THIS YEAR. If Rondo put up the stat line Marcus Smart put up today, people would be all over him. Yet, I am reading posts talking about how well Smart played. Give me a break.
nailed it

« Reply #73 on: December 26, 2014, 05:32:08 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

Don't forget the Fts and Defense and Bad attitude

Don't forget the Bad Fts and Defense and attitude
Ah yes. Just like Shaq. Terrible free throws. Weird attitude. Totally killed his teams.

If you think Rondo and Shaq can be put in the same category...

Mike
Actually the better comparison is Rondo and Rodman (without the drug use and whatnot). Rodman never got his due either.

« Reply #74 on: December 26, 2014, 05:45:11 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

Kobe Bryant is 3rd in points per game and Andre Drummond is 2nd in rebounds per game.  Their team's still suck.  Boston stunk with Rondo putting up the numbers you just mentioned.

And if Rondo played with the same defensive effort as Smart, the love for him in this forum would have been neverending, no matter how poorly he shot from the field.

Mike