Author Topic: BS Report: Lowe on Rondo  (Read 39383 times)

Re: BS Report: Lowe on Rondo
« Reply #45 on: December 25, 2014, 11:14:14 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Rondo's always going to be able to put up assist numbers because he's a great passer. The rebounds are a nice bonus, but by no means is that anything that's a game changer. However, his shooting is so horrid and the fact that he plays on the perimeter needs to be factored in accordingly. It's like having a center that can't rebound, but plays on the inside.

We need to factor in the lack of spacing he causes, his holding of the ball, his trying to hit the homerun pass way too often, his weaknesses in defending the pick and roll and fighting through screens, his inability to hit free throws or even get there all together.

He's a good player that's strengths and weaknesses don't mesh well with most systems. The big 3 days were probably the best stylistic fit for him. In fact, I can't think of one team where I think he can thrive in, which hurts his value.

« Reply #46 on: December 25, 2014, 11:16:41 PM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
Rondo's always going to be able to put up assist numbers because he's a great passer. The rebounds are a nice bonus, but by no means is that anything that's a game changer. However, his shooting is so horrid and the fact that he plays on the perimeter needs to be factored in accordingly. It's like having a center that can't rebound, but plays on the inside.

We need to factor in the lack of spacing he causes, his holding of the ball, his trying to hit the homerun pass way too often, his weaknesses in defending the pick and roll and fighting through screens, his inability to hit free throws or even get there all together.

He's a good player that's strengths and weaknesses don't mesh well with most systems. The big 3 days were probably the best stylistic fit for him. In fact, I can't think of one team where I think he can thrive in, which hurts his value.

Preach!!!!
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

« Reply #47 on: December 26, 2014, 12:05:11 AM »

Offline truthhurts34

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 11
The usual Anti-Rondo crowd.

If I wasn't enjoying my Christmas, I'd come up with some easy rebuttals for this thread and the "BS Report" which is aptly named.

But Merry Christmas, ya'll.

Merry Christmas to you too.

However, why is this anti-Rondo? Lowe is knowledgeable and I wanted to share his thoughts. Too many times anytime something negative is said about Rondo it turns into "hating" or "Anti-Rondo". Why? Is there anything that Lowe said that you can say isn't true?

Rondo used to be an incredible player. He's not now.
Some people can't accept that.
Yup. Just another horrid player that just happens to lead the league in assists and his position at rebs. That's all

Nobody has said Rondo is a "horrid" player at all. He's just severely overrated on this blog because people keep holding onto what he was 3 years ago.

He was absolutely incredible in that Heat series but injuries and age change those things. Rondo has simply hit his ceiling and this was a while ago, he has not made any real improvements in other aspects of his game. Meanwhile how far has steph curry come since the Rondo of 3 years ago?

If he is truely one of the best PG's in the league why won't he make the all-star game this year? Will he even make one again?

In the west...Cp3, Curry and Westbrook have this on lock. Lillard is clearly next in line....

Rondo is an elite passer and great rebounder for his position. However for TODAYS league, he simply isn't a complete pg there are too many holes. Especially for one that is commanding a max contract.

I'm not slamming Rondo at all, however these points are ones that I have thought about when deciding whether or not I wanted to keep him at Max extension or not. I hope the Rondo stans can do the same.

« Reply #48 on: December 26, 2014, 12:41:17 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

If I wasn't enjoying my Christmas, I'd come up with some easy rebuttals for this thread and the "BS Report" which is aptly named.

Don't forget the Fts and Defense and Bad attitude

However, why is this anti-Rondo? Lowe is knowledgeable and I wanted to share his thoughts. Too many times anytime something negative is said about Rondo it turns into "hating" or "Anti-Rondo". Why? Is there anything that Lowe said that you can say isn't true?

Yup. Just another horrid player that just happens to lead the league in assists and his position at rebs. That's all
Don't forget the Bad Fts and Defense and attitude
Ah yes. Just like Shaq. Terrible free throws. Weird attitude. Totally killed his teams.

If you think Rondo and Shaq can be put in the same category...

Mike

Nailed it.

His point being is that rondo like Shaquille can still impact a game despite their weaknesses

The point is that there is no comparison.   The only thing in common is the bad FT%.  Shaq was not known for a lack of defense or for a bad attitude.  Apples and oranges.

Shaq was not known for being a great defender while Rondo was in multiple all nba defense team Shaquille was noted for having a bad work ethic the point still stands that rondo still was able to impact a game disputes his weaknesses

« Reply #49 on: December 26, 2014, 12:43:06 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo

Please Rondo can fit with many systems the fact that he is still impactful despite his lack of scoring makes him unique

« Reply #50 on: December 26, 2014, 12:46:20 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo

Nobody has said Rondo is a "horrid" player at all. He's just severely overrated on this blog because people keep holding onto what he was 3 years ago.

He was absolutely incredible in that Heat series but injuries and age change those things. Rondo has simply hit his ceiling and this was a while ago, he has not made any real improvements in other aspects of his game. Meanwhile how far has steph curry come since the Rondo of 3 years ago?

If he is truely one of the best PG's in the league why won't he make the all-star game this year? Will he even make one again?

In the west...Cp3, Curry and Westbrook have this on lock. Lillard is clearly next in line....

Rondo is an elite passer and great rebounder for his position. However for TODAYS league, he simply isn't a complete pg there are too many holes. Especially for one that is commanding a max contract.

I'm not slamming Rondo at all, however these points are ones that I have thought about when deciding whether or not I wanted to keep him at Max extension or not. I hope the Rondo stans can do the same.

The fact that people said that Rondo is the Reggie Evans of point guards is suggesting that they think he's a horrid player The west is deep with many great point guards Rondo may not make the all star team but so will a lot of other players

« Reply #51 on: December 26, 2014, 12:53:18 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo

Pick the 2 stats that support your argument and ignore the rest of reality.
You can easily say that for Rondo detractors

« Reply #52 on: December 26, 2014, 01:27:06 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
If Rondo recruits Josh Smith to come off the bench, that would be big. [Edit: looks like Smith already committed to Houston]

If not, Dallas needs Rondo to work hard on defense and to get some kind of shot going. Neither of these things have been there for him this season. He is killing their chemistry right now, but this is because it has been only a few days with little practice. Time is needed, but so is real effort by Rondo.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 01:57:56 AM by guava_wrench »

« Reply #53 on: December 26, 2014, 01:57:28 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
This is the first time I've listen to Bill's podcast. He is a bit of a buffoon.

« Reply #54 on: December 26, 2014, 03:16:49 AM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
Simmons mentioned that Rondo was playing like a guy who was just trying not to get hurt, and IMO that was bang on the money. Had the same thought myself many times this year at the Garden.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #55 on: December 26, 2014, 04:10:10 AM »

Offline piercetruth34

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 20
I know Bill Simmons plays this 80's superfan but Zach Lowe's article is a bit too cut and dry to me.  Simmons also doesn't really capture what the Celtics are all about to me.  Trading Rondo was a  big deal.   I don't care what anyone says.  It was a big deal.  It's a new era in Boston and I have high hopes for this team but there are no guarantees either.  People have been dumping Rondo for a bag of chips and dumping on Rondo for a while now.

I do agree that Rondo's defense has not been what it used to be for a while now.  I don't know what happened there. I remember being at the garden and Rondo just wasn't guarding players at crucial times last year. I think the writing was on the wall though and Rondo wasn't fully on board for whatever reason.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 04:48:17 AM by piercetruth34 »

« Reply #56 on: December 26, 2014, 06:11:24 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
If you think that Rondo won't make the Mavs better you're completely delusional.

This is a team of jumpshooters with multiple three point threats, an elite rim protector and multiple players that can create their own shot.
They are going to be a serious playoff threat providing that they can click together fast enough, and that their defense holds up- which it likely will come playoff time.
They don't need to play defense just yet because they score the ball with ease.
They have a top 3 NBA coach and a deep roster.

In fact I can't think of a team that would suit Rondo's abilities better.

Also, if you think Rondo is a poor defender I suggest you look at the Celtics point differentials when he's on and off the floor the past season.

Playing with Kelly, Sully and Jeff Green as your back up on pick and rolls, screens and pick and pops is a recipe for disaster no matter who you are.

I'm laughing at absurd some of the analysis is.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #57 on: December 26, 2014, 06:44:26 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
If you think that Rondo won't make the Mavs better you're completely delusional.

This is a team of jumpshooters with multiple three point threats, an elite rim protector and multiple players that can create their own shot.
They are going to be a serious playoff threat providing that they can click together fast enough, and that their defense holds up- which it likely will come playoff time.
They don't need to play defense just yet because they score the ball with ease.

Also, if you think Rondo is a poor defender I suggest you look at the Celtics point differentials when he's on and off the floor the past season.

Playing with Kelly, Sully and Jeff Green as your back up on pick and rolls, screens and pick and pops is a recipe for disaster no matter who you are.

I'm laughing at absurd some of the analysis is.
I agree with much of what you say. I've watched some of Mavs games last and this season too, and always wondered what they would manage with a PG better than Barea or Calderon.
Still, what you write assumes that RR will play significantly better than he played with the C's. I'm not a huge fan of stats, but I did watch the victory against Chicago and the Washington OT game (let alone his games last season). I hope he thrives in his new environment, which no doubt is better suited to him. But I also think it is wise not to jump to conclusions before he had played there at least a dozen of games.

« Reply #58 on: December 26, 2014, 08:33:56 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

How much better does Rondo make them? They were 19-8 before he got there, so will this improvement translate in wins and losses? If so, by how much?

This is a team of jumpshooters with multiple three point threats

Who are these multiple 3pt threats you speak of?

players that can create their own shot.

Yes, they have players that can create their own shot and during crucial moments their bread and butter play is Ellis and Dirk in a high pick and roll. So how does Rondo exactly help them?

Carlisle is good, but you seriously think they have a deep roster?

Maybe, but that's just because Rondo is a bad fit on most teams. He needs to be on a team with a bunch of shooters, especially ones that don't need the ball in their hands (like Ellis), and he can handle the ball the majority of the time. The Big 3 team was tailor made for his strengths/weaknesses, but finding that type pf team will hard to replicate.

Yes, he is. He gambles way too much, allows players to drive past him in order to get the reach around steal, and too often switches or gets hung up on pick and rolls because he doesn't fight through them.

« Reply #59 on: December 26, 2014, 08:55:12 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
This is the first time I've listen to Bill's podcast. He is a bit of a buffoon.

I love Bill.... and Jalen.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird