Author Topic: BS Report: Lowe on Rondo  (Read 39519 times)

Re: BS Report: Lowe on Rondo
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2014, 01:22:23 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
I was trying to make a Bill Belichik joke

My bad, I didn't pick up on the sarcasm.

« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2014, 01:23:51 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
The usual Anti-Rondo crowd.

If I wasn't enjoying my Christmas, I'd come up with some easy rebuttals for this thread and the "BS Report" which is aptly named.

But Merry Christmas, ya'll.

Merry Christmas to you too.

However, why is this anti-Rondo? Lowe is knowledgeable and I wanted to share his thoughts. Too many times anytime something negative is said about Rondo it turns into "hating" or "Anti-Rondo". Why? Is there anything that Lowe said that you can say isn't true?

I like Lowe, but I don't think he really likes Rondo as a player and a merry christmas to you and to everyone on Celticsblog!  :)

« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2014, 01:25:04 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

If I wasn't enjoying my Christmas, I'd come up with some easy rebuttals for this thread and the "BS Report" which is aptly named.

However, why is this anti-Rondo? Lowe is knowledgeable and I wanted to share his thoughts. Too many times anytime something negative is said about Rondo it turns into "hating" or "Anti-Rondo". Why? Is there anything that Lowe said that you can say isn't true?

I agree, I don't think it's anti-Rondo. I think the article is pretty balanced. And Lowe is top-notch, it's hard to argue with anything he says.

All the negative aspects aside, you can see why the Mavs made this move. Standing pat would've left their championship odds near-zero.

The gamble for them is whether Rondo steps things up on D enough to give the West's top PGs a fair battle and thereby swing a playoff series, and/or whether he becomes "playoff Rondo" and wins them a couple of playoff games all by himself.

The ultimate success of the trade will be judged on those things, not <ahem> on whether they lost at home to the Hawks in December.

« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2014, 01:25:50 PM »

Offline NYDan

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 22
I've found Zach Lowe's take on the trade to be one of the most thoughtful of the national media folks but hadn't seen the Grantland article that basically spells it all out. TP for that, he gets it.

« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2014, 01:40:52 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
I've found Zach Lowe's take on the trade to be one of the most thoughtful of the national media folks but hadn't seen the Grantland article that basically spells it all out. TP for that, he gets it.

TP back at you. He definitely does get it and both the article and video are very insightful. Lowe is closing in on "must read" territory, if he's not there already.

« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2014, 01:42:23 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
He also said talent wise it was a no-brainer and that if you put a gun to his head, he'd have done it. So in summary: there are a lot of potential and obvious issues but if Dallas wanted a shot at a ring - a shot at future rings - it was the right move.

I wish there was more talk from the Celtics perspective.

« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2014, 02:40:09 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
TP for the catch.

Nice to see a realistic assessment of the trade from all sides.

For a change.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2014, 03:32:15 PM »

Offline timobusa

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 284
  • Bleed Green, Die Green
The Rondo trade may cause Dallas to miss the playoffs.

Which would be sweet for us, since we own the Mavs first round pick.

Somewhat protected of course.

Never go full... LOL

« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2014, 03:42:10 PM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I think Rondo had to be traded and Danny got the best he could.   I think Rondo can still be very good when he wants to be.

« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2014, 04:31:17 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Yeah I agree with Lowe here.  Rondo has a chance to hurt the Mavs offense.  I expect to hear a lot more about the Monta/Rondo dynamic as this season progresses. 

I still think more than likely they have enough talent on that team to make the playoffs, but I really disagree with the idea that Rondo makes them a serious title threat.  Can't rule them out because of Dirk and Tyson Chandler, but Rondo doesn't move the needle as much as some people want to think.

« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2014, 04:40:50 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Yeah I agree with Lowe here.  Rondo has a chance to hurt the Mavs offense.  I expect to hear a lot more about the Monta/Rondo dynamic as this season progresses. 

I still think more than likely they have enough talent on that team to make the playoffs, but I really disagree with the idea that Rondo makes them a serious title threat.  Can't rule them out because of Dirk and Tyson Chandler, but Rondo doesn't move the needle as much as some people want to think.

the offense is not the issue. Adding Rondo imo helps

It's the defense that's the problem. Mavs have regularly have given up over 100 points on avg the last 6-7 games now

A guy like Smart would of been a better pickup for them

« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2014, 04:44:12 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
I listened to this thing from top to bottom and have to say it was  terrific. Think about the intelligence of this podcast comparatively to what you get when local sports talk radio covers the C's for a segment in between breaking down Belichick's Wednesday press conference. Did you know that Rondo was a punk who went to a birthday party against management's wishes BTW?

No complaints with anything on the topic of Rondo here, but I was more interested with their musings around the NBA which were the thrust of most of the hour+. That may be because several stories around the NBA I find fascinating, especially in the West. The Nets stuff was great too and as an armchair GM(with an obvious interest in their future W-L record) I could listen to speculation about them for hours.

On some of their discussion, while the Nets taking on Johnson's deal AND giving pick swaps looked terrible at the time, I don't see it ending up too badly. The contract didn't hamper their ability to bring in anything better that I know about, and the pick swap(which didn't come to fruition last year) doesn't look to be consequential.

On The Josh Smith debacle--How many behind the scenes meltdowns does SVG have to be involved with before people start to wonder what his role in them are? Remember, he was "victimized" in Miami when Riley stepped in. That was the story. Then Dwight torpedoed Orlando was the narrative. Now Smith is getting 25 mil to not play for them. Maybe people just don't like SVG. ???

« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2014, 05:16:28 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

I agree, I don't think it's anti-Rondo. I think the article is pretty balanced. And Lowe is top-notch, it's hard to argue with anything he says.

All the negative aspects aside, you can see why the Mavs made this move. Standing pat would've left their championship odds near-zero.

The gamble for them is whether Rondo steps things up on D enough to give the West's top PGs a fair battle and thereby swing a playoff series, and/or whether he becomes "playoff Rondo" and wins them a couple of playoff games all by himself.

The ultimate success of the trade will be judged on those things, not <ahem> on whether they lost at home to the Hawks in December.
It is very hard indeed because in the article he makes the case for both sides (against  and in favour of the trade). So, he is covered no matter what happens  ;D

« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2014, 05:31:06 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Rondo indeed is not who he used to be three years ago before the injury.
But he has enough talent that under the right circumstances he can prove very helpful in the playoffs for the Mavs.
(You see, I too can write sthg and then contradict myself in the following sentence a la Lowe  ;D)

« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2014, 09:34:43 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429

Exactly. I guess leading the league in assists and being the top rebounding guard in the league equals he wasn't having a good year. What crap.